Now I'm not sure....but I THINK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I'm not sure....but I THINK

I caught air today in my E30. Or atleast lifted an inside tire, or both fronts...I'm not sure.

I was out on some backroads on a road called Grapevine. It's a pretty wide backroad, but there isn't much run-off. There's a mountain on one side and a, well, a cliff on the other side. I came onto a clear straight with no driveways or anything so I went all out in 3rd and 4th and just watched the speedo go nuts. I came up to a corner, but there was a slight dip in the road. I tried to practice my threshhold braking (see Track section) but I experienced a lock-up for a second. When I hit the dip, I think the front tires (or atleast the inside) came off the ground.

Here's how I describe the sound:

scrrrrr......................SSSQQQUARK!

I slowed it fine and got through the corner but the ABS not working got me a bit upset. I talked to my dad and he thinks it is a problem with the "bastard" wiring harness I have. I'm gonna try to get it figured out soon because I NEED ABS here in the winter.

So yea...exciting day.

Re: Now I'm not sure....but I THINK

Originally posted by Stu Mc
    I'm gonna try to get it figured out soon because I NEED ABS here in the winter.
    The whole point of threshold braking is to negate systems such as ABS. Learn to do it correctly, and you wont experience lock-up in the winter...
    Below the radar...

Comment

i catch air sometimes around here, only im not braking when im doing it... let me describe the sound.

wahhhhhhhhhh (lift off) WAHHHHH WAH WAH WAH (pegging limiter) Screeeech (peeling out when landing) then just keep on... wahhhing

i love it!
      98 M3/4/5

Comment

Originally posted by randomtask37
        i catch air sometimes around here, only im not braking when im doing it... let me describe the sound.

wahhhhhhhhhh (lift off) WAHHHHH WAH WAH WAH (pegging limiter) Screeeech (peeling out when landing) then just keep on... wahhhing

i love it!
        That has got to be one of the most single dumb things I have ever heard of.
        That only follows the kid who tried to change his oil and added it to the brake resivior.
        Seriously, grow up.
        Below the radar...

Comment

i love it!
          :down:

Who do you think you are, bo duke?

Hell, you're not even the lame "cousin" they replaced him with in like the 6th season.

-Charlie
          only gotten the e30 4 wheel airborne 3 times inadvertantly
          Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
          '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
          FYYFF

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL

i love it!
            That has got to be one of the most single dumb things I have ever heard of.
            That only follows the kid who tried to change his oil and added it to the brake resivior.
            Seriously, grow up.
            I agree. Purposely catching air to get wheelspin when you land is retarded. Must be really rough on the rear half-shafts. A kid in an ITR died doing that. And he video taped it.

What I did was on accident, and under control. I shouldn't have let it happen in the first place though.

Comment

i love it!
              :down:

loser...repeat what was said above

Comment

Blah lay of the kid.

As for as abs whats that?

Sold it.

Comment

2 words, train tracks.

I bombed Korea every night.

Comment

Originally posted by Werksmini
                    2 words, train tracks.
                    i second that i got my e28 front off the ground once on accident, hadnt ever been down the road. i was stupid and immature, oh wait i still am, but now i like to keep all 4 wheels on the ground.

are you guys serious about what was said to randomtask37

http://www.volkswagenjettacup.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
                      Originally posted by Werksmini
                      2 words, train tracks.
                      i second that i got my e28 front off the ground once on accident, hadnt ever been down the road. i was stupid and immature, oh wait i still am, but now i like to keep all 4 wheels on the ground.

are you guys serious about what was said to randomtask37
                      Yes
                      Below the radar...

Comment

sweet, train tracks, great idea. Ask those kids from that french-canadian video a while back.....oh wait, you'll have to ask their parents and loved ones...
                        BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL
                          Drive Fast, Take Chances, Keep it rubber side down
                          Right?

That said, i've never lifted the car off the ground, and don't plan on it.
                          Nick

87 325 5MT
                          02 IS300 5MT

Comment

you guys are blowing what i said way outa porportion.

its not like im intentionally going out to catch air, sometimes on the back roads around here when you are pushing them hard, there are a few bumps that will lift you up a little. and they all seem to be in straitaways.
                            also, when i say catch air, its not like hitting a ramp. its a smaller bump that will bounce the back wheels off the ground for like 1/4 of a second. but i usually end up pegging limiter for a second because im already at high rpms when i run into these bumps.
                            and it is usually in 2nd gear so when i touch down it chirps because of the torque.
                            Just so u know i dont drive fast whenever there is a chance i could hurt anyone other than myself or my car so when people are around, i drive like a grandma and im not video taping it like the hazard boys.
                            98 M3/4/5

Comment

My car would probably fall apart if it caught air.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X