Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need the experts opinion; car buying

Good Morning,

I am currently back in the market for another E30 after being away for awhile. I am going to go see an E30 today. It is a 1991 325ic. Supposedly, it has a rebuilt engine and transmission, new paint and new interior. From the pictures, it looks like a really nice vehicle but it does have an automatic transmission. The seller is asking 8500. With the assumption that everything is in good to great condition; how much does an automatic E30 with 199K miles go for these days?

Vehicle Specs;
    -Rebuilt Engine
    -Rebuilt Automatic Transmission
    -Timing Belt replaced
    -Water Pump replaced
    -New front struts
    -New Motor Mounts
    -New Steering Rack
    -A/C works
    -Heated seats work
    -New convertible top
    -New interior

Got pics? Receipts of work done?

Automatic - would sit on the market in my area for a long time. Prob worth around $4000.

Comment

I would offer no more than $5000; $5500 if you really love it. You can buy 325ic's all day long in Florida for $5K in this condition.

Other thoughts:

New top and interior are a great bonus, assuming the work was done well.

Do you want an automatic? If not, the swap will cost $800 to $1500 depending on how many used parts go in, and whether you do the work or not.

I like all the work done, but does it need rear struts? New fuel lines, new cooling hoses (all of them, not just the radiator hoses), and vacuum lines are also in need of replacement if not already done.

I would want to know who did the engine rebuild and how long ago. Same with the transmission. Original and working well are generally preferable to rebuilt. Not all rebuilds are the same. Market also prefers original paint in good condition over repaints.
      Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
      1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
      Palm Beach County

Comment

I agree with everything mentioned already.
        E30 Vert's with auto is the "pipe and slippers" spec of e30's (nobody wants one as a "drivers car"). You can easily find one with lower mileage for the same price elsewhere.
        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Got to see the car today. The seller wasnt able to provide any paperwork on the engine rebuild. The new top already had a hole present. The paint job was nice but lots of scratches present along with sunfading on the trunk. Timing belt and water pump was done. This isnt close to a 8500 dollar car, not even a 5000 car.

Thank you for all the input. It is greatly appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Chemist View Post
            Got to see the car today. The seller wasnt able to provide any paperwork on the engine rebuild. The new top already had a hole present. The paint job was nice but lots of scratches present along with sunfading on the trunk. Timing belt and water pump was done. This isnt close to a 8500 dollar car, not even a 5000 car.

Keep looking! The right one is out there.
            Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
            Palm Beach County

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Chemist View Post

Good call. Keep searching!

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
                Good call. Keep searching!
                Here’s an interesting one in Port St Lucie: https://treasure.craigslist.org/cto/...618703042.html
                Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                Palm Beach County

Comment

That looks more interesting for the price. Interesting that the hood is open on every pic
                  Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                  Alice the Time Capsule
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                  87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Uggh, taped on Motorsport Stripes, VW Recaros, I'd keep looking.
                    1991 318iC
                    1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Working...
                    X