DIY - VR6 Lip on Diving boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY - VR6 Lip on Diving boards

I'm not responsible for anything you do to your car, my car is a piece of shit and I could care less how it looks so this might not be the best way to mount it, but it works.

Sorry about the picture quality, I used my cell. And Yes again I know my car is a P.O.S so don't tell me.

Ok so I ripped the lip off my car on a snowbank and didn't want to buy a new one so my buddy gave me his old vr6 lip that got smoked by a chunk of ice on the highway and broke the mounting tabs.

What you need...(what you use might be different this is that I used because i'm poor and ghetto)

Hacksaw or cut off wheel
    Side cutters
    Sanding wheel attachment for a drill
    Drill
    1" Self tapping screws
    Black paint

First you start off with the 2 lips mines damaged in this part. The first thing you notice is that the factory BMW one is 1 piece, the VR6 lip is 2. Not a big problem.

The other thing you'll notice is that the vr6 lip is wider then the BMW lip, again not much of a problem

The next thing you'll notice is these stupid tabs used for mounting on the volkswagen. These are a problem and they have go. Theres tons of ways you can take them off. If you have a cut off wheel you can use that, I got a attachment for my drill, but it doesn't spin fast enough to cut it so I just used a pair of side cutters.
    I don't need to explain how to do it just start cutting as close as you can to the front of the lip then finish it off with sanding wheel to clean it up.

After all those are cut off its time to size it. Now you want it to be centred so you going to take a equal length off the inside end of each piece. If you match it up with the old lip you're basically going to cut it just to the outside part of this stupid nub that gets in the way (Yours might be different, this is how mine fit, and it was pretty well)

Now put it on the car and you'll realize why I called that nub stupid.

The mounting parts for the old lip are in the way, no problem.. What I did was put a cut up vertically and just bend it back in case i decide to put the old lip back on (Thats one of many ghetto things I did)

After you've made clearance for it to fit nice and snug shoot some of those self tapping screws into the brackets. After you mount it you'll notice that it touches the wheels on the end.

No problem, just cut straight down in line with the fender

After you're done that, you'll have those stupid screws stickking out like an eye sore. Blast the heads with some paint and you're golden.

It doesn't look too bad, its better then no lip and I'm sure that someone here can do a hell of a better job but there ya go...

Cheers.

Sam
    1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Excellent...the lip on the car I just got is half torn off, and I've been busy with VW's for the past 7 years...I might try the VR lip or a small-bumper Mk2 16V lip.

Comment

Take your time at it, I rushed mine and it looks like shit, because it was freezing balls out.
      1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Working...
      X