Burgy the Eta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burgy the Eta

Okay so not having a project and being E30-less for about six months I decided to rescue Burgy the 85 325e that had been sitting and waiting patiently for someone to show her some love.

My buddy Mike picked her up many years ago (probably at least 7 or 8) in non-op condition due to a bad clutch slave cylinder repair...the PO had tried to use some type of steel tubing and clamps with miserable results. Mike ordered some parts (including new lines and slave cylinder) got her running only to find out the trans wouldn't shift into 1st or 2nd. So she was parked and neglected...until I decided to bring her home.

How she sat for almost a decade (next to the Mike's garage):

She looked kinda ugly without her grille.

So I've been slowing trying to bring her back to life. She has a bit of rust in the passengers floor and trunk due to water sitting in her (at least carpets had been removed by Mike). He has a parts car that we'll be cutting the spare well, a few pieces from the passenger's floor and the battery box out of.

First thing was to replace the fuel tank. Both fuel pumps functioned when I tested them, but I am getting a blown fuse when the in tank pump is connected. I have the fuel pump assembly oriented 180 degrees out of alignment because the plastic filter/foot of the pump is hitting the baffle in the bottom of the tank (thanks Spectra). I am able to get the main pump to run, and it won't pop the fuse if the in tank pump is disconnected. Will have to get that resolved soon.

Car came with a spare Getrag 260, which I installed along with new shifter bushings that came with the car.

I tried to get her to start, and she fired off of the cold start valve a few times (loud as the exhaust is just a catless cut downpipe), but would not stay running.

No wanting to risk my luck I decided to address general maintenance before going any further (no desire for a snapped timing belt). Here's what I have done so far:

Timing belt
    Water pump
    Crank and intermediate shaft seals (could not get the cam bolt off...stripped the hex head)
    V-belts
    Intake manifold gaskets
    Bitch tube o-rings
    Valve cover gasket and plastic plugs
    Intake boot
    Vacuum hoses (ICV stuff)

Took me a while to remove everything, clean decades of caked on grease and reassemble. Will try to fire her up once I get the radiator and fan back in. Next on list is to drop the rear end and replace the trailing arm bushings, sub frame bushings and the little short brake hoses while I'm in there. I'll drop the fuel tank and figure out what is going on with the other pump and get it oriented properly. Then we'll throw the driveshaft and exhaust on the car. I have a full i-spec cat and rear exhaust to go in the car.

Future plans are to get it running, improve the suspension, add euro bumpers and euro weaves. At some point we'll paint her - she is sporting a real bad respray.

How she looks now:

Last edited by Petebee; 05-31-2014, 07:00 PM.

Sounds like you are going about it the right way. Did the PO put a lift kit in it :o
    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
    Alice the Time Capsule
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Great job bringing her back to life! <3 Burgundrot!
      Originally posted by LJ851
      kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
      ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
      #teamross
      Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Thanks guys. Other things I need are some Pearl Beige vinyl front seats (rear seats and door panels are PB, front seats are Natur). I scored an amazing dash at Vintage this year for $80...it only has two tiny cracks.

For suspension I am contemplating GC Coils or H&R Race with Bilstein Sports. Also need to acquire a decent diff (3.25 or 3.43 LSD) and a chip.

Comment

I envy that paint, mine is completely baked.
          My Feedback

Comment

Get it painted bronzit ;)

Comment

Nice pick up, I love my Burgundrot!
              Last edited by Aviator; 06-02-2014, 06:09 PM.
              84 325e Burgundrot S52 M Tech 1.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=250109

Comment

Originally posted by E30NJ View Post
                Get it painted bronzit ;)
                Now now...

But the paint is baked...roof, hood and trunk are bubbling and crappy. It looks better in the pics because it is slightly wet.

I plan on getting the mechanicals sorted out and then addressing paint. I am willing to tackle the rust repair (mainly because most of it is out of sight) and removal of crappy layers of paint to the point that the paint/body shop can take over.

Comment

Got radiator/fan, coolant pipes and fuel lines hooked up...have a cut in the thermostat to heater core hose - pee'd coolant all over LOL.

Tried to start her and she'll fire, but not run. Very loud with just a cut downpipe and no cat. Will look into fuel pressures, perhaps the fuel pressure is not high enough to flow fuel out of the injectors - seems like it runs for a second on the cold start valve then cuts out. Getting a puff of smoke out of the front of the exhaust manifold so ordered some new gaskets.

In other news just ordered some euro bumpers and a 731 head. Buddy has a nicer (more clean, less miles) eta short block. 2.7i :-)

Comment

Sweet
                    sigpic
                    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Tore out rear end to address all troublesome bushings. I did this so I can eventually put the exhaust and driveshaft back into the car. With the cut cat downpipe it is too loud to try and sort out engine in neighborhood. She will fire but not keep running...so I will fix some other stuff before hand

Overall everything came out good. CV axles were a bit stuck, but PB blaster and a bit of tapping got them freed up. My buddies helped me torch/push out the rear subframe bushings. Broke a piece off all thread stock trying to push in the new bushings, so I'll have to drop the subframe off at the shop.

Got a set of BMW CV boots from Jeff...that is next on list.

Comment

Okay so a somewhat major update. Pics first...I'll explain later.

Basically overhauled the entire suspension.

IE3 Springs/Bilstein Sports
                        IE3 camber plates
                        Lemforder front end rebuild - control arms, tie rods, all bushings
                        Lemforder subframe bushings
                        Bosch discs and pads all around
                        Ansa cat back with i-spec twin pipe cat (used)

Next have to get her running. Now that she has an exhaust that will be more neighborhood friendly.

Got these from Toms (Boby). Going to disassemble them to grind and sand the surface rust and treat with Eastwood rust encapsulator. He was a great seller - provided all mounting brackets for the bumpers, brand new hardware to mount the bumpers and threw in an extra front signal.

Then some rust repair. Then interior assembly (have a nice almost crack free dash). Then Euro head. Then paint. Then enjoy a Hartge tribute car.

Comment

Cool project!!! Sub'd for the Hartge goodies to come.:up:
                          Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Okay so Burgy now runs! Had a buddy spray some starter fluid into the FPR vacuum hose that attaches to the intake while I turned her over...eventually she coughed and started running. Now she fires right up and idles, albeit a bit low (~500 RPMs). Not bad for a car that hasn't run in about a decade.

Here is a video. I do have an audible knocking while idling, but once you raise the revs to a normal idle range (800 or so) the sound goes away. Any clues? We'll eventually replace this engine so not super concerned.

Comment

Congrats on getting it running and I'd definitely adjust those valves before I did anything else
                              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                              Alice the Time Capsule
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                              X