Melon's E30 Build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Melon View Post
    I had the head redone at a machine shop, they installed everything, so I can't say for sure how tight everything was.
    man that sucks. you never adjusted the lash after the head was bolted? I would never expect the shop to set the lash and tighten those things,
    Also red loctite is an overkill, snug hand tight, washers and rockers ear constant tension should keep everything nicely

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
      man that sucks. you never adjusted the lash after the head was bolted? I would never expect the shop to set the lash and tighten those things,
      Also red loctite is an overkill, snug hand tight, washers and rockers ear constant tension should keep everything nicely
      They said they set the gap at the recommended .25mm.

Yeah, red may be too much, but I'll definitely be using the blue as extra insurance.
      I do things.

Comment

They said they set the gap at the recommended .25mm.

Yeah, red may be too much, but I'll definitely be using the blue as extra insurance.

That’s strange. Machine shop should’ve told you to check those clearances, once the head is bolted and than after run in (valve/ springs got seated).

Luckily, bolts are not stainless..maybe oil drain and strong magnet through the oil pan will get them out of there. Blunttech sells magnetic drain plug for a few bucks too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Reseated the injectors, and installed the 3,0 bar regulator.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
          I do things.

Comment

I found the missing nut, but it's too big to get out through the drain plug hole.

Does anyone have a pic of an M20 oil pan?

I want to see if I can work it to the oil level sensor side, and get it out that way.
            I do things.

Comment

I’d honestly drop the pan and get it out, you can check the oil for metal shavings then too.

A lot less haggle under the car but you do lose oil/money

Comment

Hope this pic helps. I don't recall if it is blocked or not under that mini windage tray though...
                '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

I found the missing nut, but it's too big to get out through the drain plug hole.

Does anyone have a pic of an M20 oil pan?

I want to see if I can work it to the oil level sensor side, and get it out that way.

Are you serious? wtf....I guess they couldn't make it a little larger.

I think it will be impossible to walk it over to the sensor side because of the divider. I removed it on my pan once, drill a coule of holes in it and installed trap doors ala s14 style so the oil could quickly flow from the sensor chamber to the pump.

anyway, I do not remember any gaps which would be big enough for the bolt to go through
                  Last edited by zaq123; 03-20-2019, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Here is you best bet IMO,

remove oil pump drive gear cover, remove the gear and try fishing it out with the magnetic pickup tool. Removing that cover will give you the access somewhere in the center area of the pan. I would use a flex magnet tool instead of telescopic but the telescopic might work too. Use the magnet from the bottom of the pan to walk the nut closer to the area where your pickup head will be located.

Hope it will work.

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
                      Here is you best bet IMO,

remove oil pump drive gear cover, remove the gear and try fishing it out with the magnetic pickup tool.
                      This could work.
                      I do things.

Comment

Thanks for the help!
                        I do things.

Comment

Man, I'll never use that machine shop again.

Got all the new hardware in, valves adjusted and tightened down with blue loctite.

Still got some cleaning to do before I put it all back together tomorrow, I'm beat, time for bed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                          I do things.

Comment

A clean m20 just looks so right in an e30. Good work

Comment

Car seems to be running well, but it's idling rough, and dies when coming off the throttle. With the A/C on, it straight up does.
                              I do things.

Comment

Car seems to be running well, but it's idling rough, and dies when coming off the throttle. With the A/C on, it straight up does.

Vacuum hoses good? Simple shit sometimes.

Ezekiel 25:17
                                Current flame: E30 318iS Alpinweiss II slicktop / LSD - Joanne
                                The old man: 1970 2002 Polaris(ish) slicktop / rat rod - Wallace
                                The ex: E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - Betty
                                The heavy: 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport (3rd Gen) - Fred

Comment

Working...
                                X