Oil light, trying to troubleshoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil light, trying to troubleshoot

88 325i, recently got an oil caution light a few times. both times in the same situation. long uphill drive, after about 2 miles of steady climb, moderate RPM, got an oil light.

Immediately shut down checked oil, all seemed ok. oil level was fine, oil was clear. when I started it back up, light was gone. Bad winter storm, and I had driven through some deep water, thought it might be water in a sensor wire.

next day, same thing. same driving conditions, got the light. drove it home carefully after checking it, haven't driven it since.

Started it in the driveway, sitting level, got the light.

Not sure where to start. I don't think its a faulty sensor, because it looks like it is indicating properly, given that it came on in a few similar conditions.
    Porsche-BMW... All the same, right?

I would replace the oil sensor that are not that expensive . Start there.

Comment

Are you talking about the oil PRESSURE warning light or the oil LEVEL warning on the Active Check Control panel?

If it is the oil pressure warning light you need to check the wiring and make sure you don't have a warn wire that might be touching something and giving you a false warning. I find it very doubtful you have a sending unit that is failing and causing a light under those conditions. If it was coming on when the car was hot and at idle maybe. The real way to know is put a pressure gauge on the engine and see what it is really making. The stock sender triggers the light at about 7psi. If the pressure is that low at anything higher than 800 rpm you have a serious internal engine problem.

If it is the level warning on the ACC panel you have a sensor in the pan that is failing.

Comment

what weight oil are you running?

edit: I also agree that it is doubtful that the sensor is bad.
        '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
        NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
        Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
          what weight oil are you running?

edit: I also agree that it is doubtful that the sensor is bad.
          I think I have 10W-30

Comment

Originally posted by Preyupy View Post
            Are you talking about the oil PRESSURE warning light or the oil LEVEL warning on the Active Check Control panel?

If it is the oil pressure warning light you need to check the wiring and make sure you don't have a warn wire that might be touching something and giving you a false warning. I find it very doubtful you have a sending unit that is failing and causing a light under those conditions. If it was coming on when the car was hot and at idle maybe. The real way to know is put a pressure gauge on the engine and see what it is really making. The stock sender triggers the light at about 7psi. If the pressure is that low at anything higher than 800 rpm you have a serious internal engine problem.

If it is the level warning on the ACC panel you have a sensor in the pan that is failing.
            It was just OIL. Doesn't specify pressure or level.
            sorta frustrating.

Comment

Is it the one in the dash or the one on the ceiling?

Comment

My oillight does not turn on at all whatsoever?
                Should I be concerned
                Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by iflylow View Post
                  I think I have 10W-30
                  Might be a bit light for San Diego weather. If it is the light on the dash, I would move to at least 15w-40, perhaps 15w-50 or 20w-50.

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
                  My oillight does not turn on at all whatsoever?
                  Should I be concerned
                  it should turn on when you key the car to run, and should go out after the engine is started. If it doesn't light up the wire to the sensor could be disconnected, or the sensor could be bad. Your 318 I don't believe has the active check panel. I think it was a 325 only thing
                  '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                  NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                  Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                    Is it the one in the dash or the one on the ceiling?
                    The one on the ceiling. I haven't had any dash lights.

I'll try an oil change, to 15W-50

Comment

Originally posted by iflylow View Post
                      The one on the ceiling. I haven't had any dash lights.

I'll try an oil change, to 15W-50

Ok calm your tits, the oil light on the check panel is for oil level not pressure, if you have verified that the level on the dipstick is correct you are all good. Changing your oil type isn't going to change a thing. That oil light is just a fancy electronic aid for lazy yuppies so they don't have to open their hood to know when they have to add oil to their engine.

I think you are probably bang on with your first hunch of the problem being water in the oil pan sensor connector. Have you cleaned it and packed the connector with dielectric grease? Try that first, there's a good chance the connector is full of corrosion. If that doesn't fix it try a new sensor then chase the wiring. The check panel is most likely tripping on the light due to a momentary fault in the wiring that goes away right away, it will not clear until you turn the key off and back on again though.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
                        Ok calm your tits, the oil light on the check panel is for oil level not pressure, if you have verified that the level on the dipstick is correct you are all good. Changing your oil type isn't going to change a thing. That oil light is just a fancy electronic aid for lazy yuppies so they don't have to open their hood to know when they have to add oil to their engine.

I think you are probably bang on with your first hunch of the problem being water in the oil pan sensor connector. Have you cleaned it and packed the connector with dielectric grease? Try that first, there's a good chance the connector is full of corrosion. If that doesn't fix it try a new sensor then chase the wiring. The check panel is most likely tripping on the light due to a momentary fault in the wiring that goes away right away, it will not clear until you turn the key off and back on again though.
                        Thanks, this makes sense. I'll check this first.

Comment

Working...
                        X