Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought this pile. What should I do with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought this pile. What should I do with it?

So I bought a cheap e21 this morning from Craigslist. 1982 with 95k miles. I paid $1000 with a car full of parts and a m50 with trans. Aside from getting it running as driving or just burning it to the ground, what should I do to it?
    1990 325is (sold)
    2010 Civic (daily)
    1982 320i (in pieces)

We need pics to see the condition of your E21 If it's an original MA car, it probably has lots of rust. Is the M50 installed or part of the spare parts stash? Does your E21 have a 5-speed or a autotragic? Your E21 is worth a lot more if it's a 5-speed, you can sell the 5-speed alone to the 2002 crowd for $750. You've hit jackpot if your E21 is a S (sport) model, (Recaro seats, LSD, 13" Mahle/BBS wheels, sport steering wheel). If it has an LSD, that's additional $750. Depending on the condition of the Recaro's, they can bring up to four figures. The E21 crowd has some loyal fans (Check out BMW E21 Legion FB page) who will try to convince to save your E21. Bottom line, if it's rusty, part it out and recoup your money unless you have sentimental ties to the car and your good at welding.
    74 2002tii (many mods)
    86 325 (sold)
    88 325is (sold)
    89 325i (totaled)
    91 318is (parted out)
    91 318i
    98 Tacoma Prerunner (parts hauler)

Comment

It’s got a little bit of rust that I can see. Not originally a MA car. It’s from Iowa.

It’s currently just a roller. Motor and trans are out of the car and the original drivetrain is long gone. Interior is in good shape. Front seats are generic “racing” buckets.
      1990 325is (sold)
      2010 Civic (daily)
      1982 320i (in pieces)

Comment

Your E21 looks real clean for a 36 year old car in MA. Looks to be a keeper. You now officially have a project car, your E21 is a blank canvas to play with as you wish. I'd concentrate on brakes, suspension, drive train. Euro spec E21's came with M20 motors but I believe you need a Euro spec subframe. Your subframe is for a M10 motor (check your parts stash to see if PO made mods for M50 conv). Good choice to upgrade motors since the original motor was a M10B18 and very slow.

G-Man
        74 2002tii (many mods)
        86 325 (sold)
        88 325is (sold)
        89 325i (totaled)
        91 318is (parted out)
        91 318i
        98 Tacoma Prerunner (parts hauler)

Comment

This thing looks sweet! Love that stripe down the side. Definitely try to sort out brakes and suspension bits to match the bigger motor. Good luck sourcing a euro spec subframe.

You should start a build thread.
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Looks like a score man if those are real work equips theres close to your 1k

Comment

I dig it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spool View Post
                Looks like a score man if those are real work equips theres close to your 1k
                I wish. They’re Drag DR20s.
                1990 325is (sold)
                2010 Civic (daily)
                1982 320i (in pieces)

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                  This thing looks sweet! Love that stripe down the side. Definitely try to sort out brakes and suspension bits to match the bigger motor. Good luck sourcing a euro spec subframe.

You should start a build thread.
                  It has coilovers with bilstein struts. Not sure what the spring rates are.
                  1990 325is (sold)
                  2010 Civic (daily)
                  1982 320i (in pieces)

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                    Your E21 looks real clean for a 36 year old car in MA. Looks to be a keeper. You now officially have a project car, your E21 is a blank canvas to play with as you wish. I'd concentrate on brakes, suspension, drive train. Euro spec E21's came with M20 motors but I believe you need a Euro spec subframe. Your subframe is for a M10 motor (check your parts stash to see if PO made mods for M50 conv). Good choice to upgrade motors since the original motor was a M10B18 and very slow.

G-Man
                    He told me in Russian/English that the m50 should bolt right in. I’m skeptical as the factory mounts aren’t even close.
                    1990 325is (sold)
                    2010 Civic (daily)
                    1982 320i (in pieces)

Comment

Love it! Looks like a keeper to me.
                      Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                      1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
                      Palm Beach County

Comment

Turns out, the engine was in the car running when the PO bought it. He pulled the motor and trans so he could paint and do body work. So this project just got a lot easier. :)
                        1990 325is (sold)
                        2010 Civic (daily)
                        1982 320i (in pieces)

Comment

UPDATE
                          Got the car home this morning. Finally was able to look over the whole thing.
                          It would appear that someone had this car set up for a turbo. There is what appears to be an oil catch can in the engine bay as well as a wired boost gauge on the dash.
                          I did find some serious rust in the trunk pan as well as behind the wheel arches. Tow hook on the rear practically came off in my hand.

Does anyone have any info on the spoiler?
                          1990 325is (sold)
                          2010 Civic (daily)
                          1982 320i (in pieces)

Comment

The wheel arch and trunk rust will haunt you. I'd bet there is some on the floorboards, especially near the gas pedal. I highly recommend you remove the rear seat to see how bad the rust is before putting too much time into the car. Unfortunately these things disintegrate fairly easily.
                            Last edited by captain awesome; 05-30-2018, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by captain awesome View Post
                              The wheel arch and trunk rust will haunt you. I'd bet there is some on the floorboards, especially near the gas pedal.
                              I’m not super attached to the car. If it ends up being too much I’m sure I can part it out and make my money back.
                              1990 325is (sold)
                              2010 Civic (daily)
                              1982 320i (in pieces)

Comment

Working...
                              X