Transmission Tunnel Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Tunnel Noise

Start video at 2:17 for what I'm referring to.

I recently did the rear subframe overhaul. I put everything back and now I notice I have a clunk when I get on/off the gas. There's no vibration or noise though while under load. I'm not sure if I always had this noise and it's just more pronounced now with 80A poly bushings all around and brand new exhaust hangers and brackets. I also haven't driven the car in 10 months so I don't know if that sound has always existed. I also have the luke box setup so it could have possibly drowned out the sound on worn bushings. The noise sounds like its coming from the middle of the transmission tunnel.

In the video he suggests marking where the drive shaft connects to the differential. I thought this was for balancing purposes, however I couldn't find any literature that supports that. Everything I've read is that the 2 pieces of the drive shaft have to connect to each other in a specific way. Couldn't find anything that says it has to connect to the diff in a specific manner. That was the only step where I deviated from the video.

I did not disconnect the 2 pieces of the drive shaft.

You're supposed to check the u joints.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
      You're supposed to check the u joints.

You think the u-joints are bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bad u-joints or wear in pinion & ring gear in the differential will cause a clunk when the load on the drive shaft changes. Th u-joints can only be checked with the driveshaft out of the car.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Doesn't matter where the driveshaft and diff meet, no need to mark it like the video said.

Even if you didn't separate the driveshaft, double check that the collar connecting the two driveshaft pieces is tightened down. Double check the center U-Join orientation as stated above, should see a white painted dot on both pieces. Then make sure you pre-loaded the CSB as far forward as it'll go.

If your getting clunking now, its just a matter of time before the guibo takes a dump...GL!
          555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
          '95 BMW e34 525i
          '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
          '92 Range Rover Classic
          '90 Range Rover Classic
          '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
          '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
          '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
          '67 Pontiac LeMans
          '24 Model T Depot Hack
          ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Working...
          X