#&!@* bought wrong valance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#&!@* bought wrong valance?

My '87 325i came without a front valance but I found one from a stand-up guy who shipped it right out at a fair price. But, now that I want to mount it up - it doesn't fit! Nevermind the fog lights, which look stock based on their mounting, not lining up - none of the holes or apparent bracket points line up. There isn't even any allowance for the front license plate. Or do they fit together and I'm just missing some brackets? Do I have the wrong piece? Which one do I need if this is the valance for the 325i?

Here, sitting in front of car. To me, looks like no way it can fit.

The air inlets don't line up at all with the radiator:

The valance has holes on top as if to mount on the underside of the bumper or maybe some brackets? The car has mount holes which in no way line up with any piece of the valance.

That is the valance for the 325is/325es. It is not for a 325i.

Having said that, you should be able to make it fit if you fabricate some mounting brackets. Maybe someone who has done so before could chime in here and help?????
    Current Cars
    2014 M235i
    2009 R56 Cooper S
    1998 M3
    1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCN

Having said that, you should be able to make it fit if you fabricate some mounting brackets. Maybe someone who has done so before could chime in here and help?????
      Well, at least now I have a clue, thanks!

Comment

You're missing the brackets.
        Originally posted by Gruelius
        and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

I don't think it matters, the valance is the same underneath AFAIK.

you're better off making your own mounts than getting the factory brackets (if you can even find a set), they are cheap and break easily.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

worked for me... that one looks just like the one i have
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
            Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by nando
              I don't think it matters, the valance is the same underneath AFAIK.

you're better off making your own mounts than getting the factory brackets (if you can even find a set), they are cheap and break easily.
              They are pretty much the same though the ES dam has no vents for the oil cooler.

James

Comment

Ok. First the air dam/valence whatever you want to call it will fit just fine.

You are missing the mounting brackets and the metal bar thingy. No problem I do not have one either. See the tabs on the sides of the air dam near the end? These go underneath your bumper moulding and flush up with the fender line then with the fogs removed the rest of the air dam goes up against the bumper behind your plate.

You are looking for mounting holes that are not there thats why you are confused.

Sold it.

Comment

i drilled holes in my metal bumpers and bolted the airdam underneath with washers and bolts.
                  www.ThundaCats.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dominick
                    i drilled holes in my metal bumpers and bolted the airdam underneath with washers and bolts.
                    Yes I did a similar thing, as did Eurospeed88 and other air damn people (UNCHLL)

Sold it.

Comment

I like the idea of making this work with some home-made brackets and am going to look into that. Anyone have any pictures of previous efforts or ideas for fasteners, outside of bolts & washers? :)

Comment

on the top of the airdam, you'll see one small hole drilled in the very center. take off the bumper surrounds, and screw in those 2 side tabs.

now, mark that center hole (tricky!!) on the bumper.
                        Drill that hole out on the bumper, and you can use a small bore bolt with large washers to hold up the airdam in the center. I only used that one in the center, and I never had a problem, but I was careful with scraping/bumping/etc.

It looks like your front bumper is "tucked" alread too, this will also make it trickier to line up.

The stock plate mount on the bumper, that will hang down over the center/front of the airdam. If you dont like this, there is a replacement panel for the center of the bumper that removes the l. plate bracket.
                        (www.bavauto.com) should have it.

only the lower 2 holes in the center will come close to lining up with the oil cooler in the center of your car.

Looking at the pictures again, I'm almost positive that someone previously "tucked" your front bumper, its to close to the valance to get tools in there to remove the brackets, but it doesnt have the huge allen bolts accessible from underneath to remove it either.

I'm sorry you had problems getting this sorted! I would have offered more detailed instructions/help if I'd known!

EDIT: I'm also in the process of sorting out some replacent stock style brackets, seeing as they are No Longer Available from the dealer. If this comes through, I'll keep everyone posted!
                        Below the radar...

Comment

Well I can't help with how to fabricate home-made mounts, but this picture should help give you ideas on what to do. It shows an 87is air dam with the factory mounts, still attached to the stock valence from the same car. If you had this whole thing, your install would be plug and play!

As others have pointed out, the person who sold you the air dam did not provide the mounting hardware which is the thin black metal piece along with the brakets and hardware that attaches it to the valence portion, which are illustrated in figure 2 here:

I am told that the air dam with all mounting hardware sells for about $200 - $250 on e-Bay, can anyone verify? If it is that much, heck I may sell mine and use the cash to convert my whole front end to 89 buimpers!
                          '86 325 original owner for 20 years * SOLD *
                          '86 325es * SOLD *
                          '05 Honday Odyssey Minivan.

Comment

This is great - you guys are a lot of help and I'm looking forward to getting started on this. With your info, I'm feeling a lot more confident that I can't screw anything up too badly and that it wont hurt to just try!

You know, I wondered why my bumpers didn't look too bad for an '87. Never guessed that someone had already tucked 'em.

thank you!!

Comment

I sold Krista the airdam.

The mounting brackets you all seem to think would magically solve her problems are worthless. Its a thin strip of metal that provides ZERO support unless you have all the associated brackets. The brackets, are NLA from the dealer, and were made of plastic, thus meaning 99% of the ones in existance are damaged/broken/no good.

This still doesnt solve the issue of her tucked bumper and getting access to that. ;)
                              And if you look closely, you will see that she indeed already has the correct airdam.

A complete OEM urethane airdam & foglights will sell for $300 on e-bay
                              Below the radar...

Comment

Working...
                              X