Turbo Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo Selection

So I posted this question in my build thread but I figure I will have better luck finding an answer here. I was going to buy a Borg Warner S256SX turbo with a 0.83 a/r divided T4 housing but I have a turbo already.

I'm wondering whether I should just keep one of the turbos I have to get me up and running. This setup I'm building right now is essentially getting the car up and running but I want to build a proper motor for it, upgrade my MS and put a different turbo in there later on anyway. The turbo I currently have is an old-school NOS Garrett 60mm turbo, effectively the predecessor to the current twin scroll 60-1. It has the RB style 2-bolt inlets and outlets on the compressor side, a .60 a/r compressor housing and the divided T4 1.15 a/r turbine housing with provision for a 3" dump. What are opinions on running this on a stock motor M20b25? It seems a bit too big to me but also don't really feel like buying another temporary turbo when I have a couple of these laying around. Any experienced turbo-ers have any thoughts?
    1990 325i Touring - The Bonsai Bimmer - Patiently Waiting
    1984 316 Coupe - The Base Model - Pain in the Ass
    1988 750iL - The Daily Driver
    ...And a couple others...

I'm running a GT35 (.63/.70) ebay turbo and it is laggy and too big....

I think the 60-1 or smaller would be more ideal, but it depends on your goal. I make 233/243 at 15 psi on a Mustang dyno. While these numbers aren't great, my goal is no more than 350rwhp....I have a 677 rwhp e36 M3, so I don't need a beast....
    1997 Artic Silver M3
    CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

Hoping for slightly more than that. That doesn't seem like a lot of power for 15psi though does that relate to the ebay turbo? I'm looking for about 300whp to start out with.

Comment

I hope so!
        1997 Artic Silver M3

Comment

The kamotors kinugawa 20g size is perfect for an 2.5. Gt35 is too big as are the holsets.

Comment

Go big or go home:razz:

M20B28 Turbo

My Build Thread

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255839

Comment

I like the BW 256 also because 1) price and 2) doesn't require water lines...the ones from AGP look very appealing!
              1997 Artic Silver M3

Comment

Originally posted by BMWManiac View Post
                I like the BW 256 also because 1) price and 2) doesn't require water lines...the ones from AGP look very appealing!
                I'm about to buy one of those! Spoke to a guy at AGP and he said it's a very popular turbo for this engine size. Claims its good for over 400hp. From the research i've done it should offer a nice broad powerband.

If you were interested, I'm planning on getting the AGP/BW S256sx_RS with the T3 .63 A/R turbine housing with a custom tubular manifold. Looking for 300-350whp at 14-15 psi with full spool around 3000-3500.
                2.7i Stroker Turbo Build Thread

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

Yep, that is what I am looking for...keeping my manifold adapters though
                  1997 Artic Silver M3

Comment

Borg Warner's are nice turbos and built rite they last a long time ... And there efr turbos are killer

Comment

Originally posted by fastboy559 View Post
                      Borg Warner's are nice turbos and built rite they last a long time ... And there efr turbos are killer
                      Yeah I've seen your manifold thread looks like there's some good stuff coming soon with your BW kits. If the budget allows I may pick one up if they keep going

Comment

Sounds good ... I'm am going to try to get a efr on my car if money allows

Comment

Originally posted by fastboy559 View Post
                          Sounds good ... I'm am going to try to get a efr on my car if money allows
                          Very interested to hear your opinions on it if you end up getting a BW efr. Which efr turbo would you go for?
                          2.7i Stroker Turbo Build Thread

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

They are very good turbos I've been working with them a lot ... They spool quick make great power and last .. It think it's the best turbo line out now

Comment

Which efr or s2xx will get my m20 set up to 400whp without lag? How do they compare to the 6262? I'm looking to buy a new turbo myself...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              sigpic
                              1990 325IS S54 swap in process
                              2001 Z3M -All Stock 22K car
                              2005 545i -DD
                              1967 Morris Mini Van-Mad Project BMW/Mini Turbo

Comment

Working...
                              X