E30 Touring Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Touring Turbo

Hey guys it's finally time to start a legit build thread for my 1990 325i Touring. I've been waiting for this and putting things together and buying parts and planning but am ready to start.

So I bought the car roughly 2 years ago in Toronto and drove it back home to Edmonton. It's a Japanese import and when I got it it had an AC Schnitzer S3 body package (essentially just badging and wheels), had already been converted from auto to manual, but had a couple issues. I sorted the suspension, lowered it with an H&R Race cup kit, installed UUC sway bars, a Mason Engineering x-brace and skid-plate, and then Ireland Engineering 310mm Wilwood brake kits front and rear and their front strut tower brace. I left the engine basically stock, only IE headers and exhaust and a Miller MAF conversion. Rocked the car like this for a while. Pics at that time:

Then came the addition of these puppies:

Rotiform ROC 3-piece race wheels and then installed them with KA Motors ultra-wide flares:

After that I aquired this bad boy from Brandon's (F34R's) group buy that never took off so I think I have the only one.

It is a divided T4 flange with twin 38mm wastegate flanges. I regret making one a two-bolt: I had a spare at the time but have since used it elsewhere and have two MVS v-band wastegates as well as a Tial Q BOV.

I bought and sold countless turbos (still selling some) trying to trade my way up to the perfect turbo but have now resolved to buy a new Borg Warner S256SX divided T4 0.83 a/r unit.

So then today it was time to finally put everything into action so I pulled the motor (I'd smashed the oil pan last spring and had this car sitting because I never winter drive it). Pics of that:

And in case you're wondering, that beautiful 1984 Volkswagen Vanagon is my brother's. That thing is such a dope daily.

Okay so plans. The plan is to turbo this motor, I have almost everything I need or it is coming in the mail soon. Hoping for roughly 360-380hp at 11psi and have this as a fun summer toy car.

I already have:
    -Megasquirt tuned for 11psi, 30# injectors and single coil
    -ARP headstuds
    -Goetze head gasket, new VC and oil pan gaskets, rear main seal etc.
    -Oil filter sandwhich for turbo feed (ordered)
    -Misc fittings (ordered and have)
    -UUC clutch (the 500hp or less full face one)
    -Gates timing belt. Only the belt because I did the water pump, timing belt and tensioner, thermostat blah blah blah ~7500km ago
    -Tial 38mm wastegates
    -Tial 50mm BOV
    -CX Racing intercooler
    -Awesome intake manifold and valve cover that I picked up locally. The intake with extra vacuum nipples welded on and the VC with a fitting to run a catch can
    -ATP Turbo aluminum catch can
    -Garagistic power steering delete (ordered). I already had the PS belt removed because I like manual steering better, but I'm just going to clean it all up and properly remove it while it's convenient. I also am deleting AC because it didn't work and I'm not sure the manifold would clear it anyway. Also by removing the AC cooler I will have space for an electric fan, the intercooler etc.
    -16" Spal electric fan

I still need:
    -Turbo oil lines
    -Fittings, lines and cooler for a new oil cooler setup
    -Charge piping, couplers and clamps
    -Turbo
    -Exhaust piping to make downpipe
    -Turbocharging Dynamics ignition wires and MSD blaster coil
    -CA Tuned in-tank Walbro 255 fuel pump
    -Probably some other shit and I'll add some new aspects to the whole build so we'll see

I think that's it for now, I may have some progress this week but most likely not until the weekend. Stay tuned!
    1990 325i Touring - The Bonsai Bimmer - Patiently Waiting
    1984 316 Coupe - The Base Model - Pain in the Ass
    1988 750iL - The Daily Driver
    ...And a couple others...

Very nice project!

Do you think the Walbro 255 will be ok for the job? I've got one too, hoping it'll handle up to 500hp like the specs sheet says...
    '90 318is

Comment

I figure it should be fine for me. If I ever decided to bump up the power I'll just add a second one inline. IIRC two together inline will support 700hp.

Comment

Where can i get same as that manifold? need some pics of the fitment on car

M20B28 Turbo

My Build Thread

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255839

Comment

Originally posted by sayed ali View Post
          Where can i get same as that manifold? need some pics of the fitment on car
          I think they're NLA. F34R did a group buy on twin scroll manifolds for M20s and M30s and I bought the first one built but it seemed like it didn't take off because of cost or whatever. You may be able to contact Brandon and see if he still has jigs for it or is still communicating with the guy that actually welded them up and see if they're still being made.

Comment

Small update: yesterday had a tiny bit of spare time so drove into the shop and pulled the intake and got ready to pull the head but ran out of time before I could actually pull it.

On another note, I'm wondering whether I should just keep one of the turbos I have to get me up and running. This setup is essentially getting the car up and running but I want to build a proper motor for it, upgrade my MS and put a different turbo in there. The turbo I currently have is an old-school NOS Garrett 60mm turbo, effectively the predecessor to the current twin scroll 60-1. It has the RB style 2-bolt inlets and outlets on the compressor side, a .60 a/r compressor housing and the divided T4 1.15 a/r turbine housing with provision for a 3" dump. What are opinions on running this on a stock motor M20b25? It seems a bit too big to me but also don't really feel like buying another temporary turbo when I have a couple of these laying around. Any experienced turbo-ers have any thoughts?

Comment

Didn't get near as much done as I'd wanted this weekend, essentially just sand blasted my dirty ass ugly oil pan that I bought that was painted green so that I can take it to have the return fitting welded on tomorrow. I also ordered most of the remaining stuff, all the oil lines, fittings etc. So we're getting close!

Comment

Hey guys, this is still alive. Have almost all the parts now, got a return fitting welded on an unrelated-smashed oil pan, have the gaskets, the Gates timing belt, UUC clutch and their braided clutch line, all the hoses, flanges and fittings for now. Still waiting on exhaust manifold gaskets but with tomorrow off I'm hoping to get the head off and get the oil pan on there.

I haven't looked at the flywheel yet, but if I had it resurfaced ~7500km ago do I, in theory, need to resurface it again?

Comment

Originally posted by stanhayward View Post
                  Small update: yesterday had a tiny bit of spare time so drove into the shop and pulled the intake and got ready to pull the head but ran out of time before I could actually pull it.

On another note, I'm wondering whether I should just keep one of the turbos I have to get me up and running. This setup is essentially getting the car up and running but I want to build a proper motor for it, upgrade my MS and put a different turbo in there. The turbo I currently have is an old-school NOS Garrett 60mm turbo, effectively the predecessor to the current twin scroll 60-1. It has the RB style 2-bolt inlets and outlets on the compressor side, a .60 a/r compressor housing and the divided T4 1.15 a/r turbine housing with provision for a 3" dump. What are opinions on running this on a stock motor M20b25? It seems a bit too big to me but also don't really feel like buying another temporary turbo when I have a couple of these laying around. Any experienced turbo-ers have any thoughts?
                  A T4 1.15 AR on an m20 is really big and you're probably going to not like the charactersitics of it. I had a New Precision turbo that was a T4 .63 AR and hated it - had the shop remove it the same day it was installed after I saw the dyno graph.
                  Granted I didn't know the exducer/inducer measurements on yours vs. the one I tried, but I think it will be a similar experience.

With that said I'm extremely interested in seeing how your BW S256SX does on your motor. I forget his name, but someone used it with a 2.7i bottom end, a 731 head, with e85 and he was hitting full boost near 3k which I think is fantastic - but we all have variables in our systems so I don't know.

Originally posted by stanhayward View Post
                  Didn't get near as much done as I'd wanted this weekend, essentially just sand blasted my dirty ass ugly oil pan that I bought that was painted green so that I can take it to have the return fitting welded on tomorrow. I also ordered most of the remaining stuff, all the oil lines, fittings etc. So we're getting close!
                  The whole engine is coming out right? Tap the block for the return man. I can't tell how low your car is or have an idea of how bad your roads are, but using the block as a return vs. the oilpan is one of the things I'm most proud of considering I've blew a few pans before.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

That guy was my motivation to check those out. He was using a 1.22 a/r turbine housing on it so I was stoked for a 0.83 a/r. I'm going to try out this Garrett but I don't think it's going to go that well. If you can spool a 56mm 1.22a/r turbo that well a 60mm with a 1.15 is worth a shot in my opinion. I'll be sure to report back on it. I've already done the oil pan that would have been a smart idea though. Thanks for your input ak-!

Comment

Okay finally some tangible progress... Today I got a bunch done. I replaced the timing belt with a Gates Racing one:

Then I replaced the clutch with the UUC organic full-face clutch and pressure plate:

New Sachs TOB:

And decided to use a set of new Metric Blues I had. This may get some hate... But I'd like to try them and maybe build a new stroker motor with the head studs I have. I torqued them to 65 ft-lbs in 10lb increments until the final 5lb increment. Here's a photo of them installed:

I also transferred the fuel rail to the new intake manifold and used a gasket scraper and Scotchbrite to get rid of the old gaskets on the intake and the valve cover.

So what's left... I am waiting on exhaust manifold gaskets, I need to make gaskets for the turbo compressor inlet and outlet, I need some misc. bolts, I need a small torque wrench because mine broke , I need some gasket sealer, and then the piping I need to fabricate the exhaust as well as the intercooler piping and bracketry. I already have a CX Racing intercooler that's something like 25x12x3" or so. And properly delete the PS. The list is getting shorter!

Comment

Looking forward to future progress, nice to see a Touring project!
                        1998 M3 - Sold
                        1991 318i - Sold
                        1998 323is - Daily
                        1986 325es - Project

Comment

Hey not too much got done this weekend as I was helping my brother with his van, but I rotated the turbo and put it in situ because it looks awesome ;)

And put in the oil sandwich adapter and a new Mobil 1 filter

Comment

Exciting news :)

I found a Borg Warner S256 locally! This is the turbo I'd wanted from the start but getting one to Canada is about $1200 CAD and I couldn't justify it, but I got this with 500km and zero shaft play for $550! Couldn't resist it. Real updates coming soon I know I've been slacking...

Comment

For anyone watching, this thread is still going but has been very slow lately. I am now really trying to pick it up to catch the first big meet next Saturday so will be working late nights to try to get something together.

As far as updates with no pictures: I properly deleted the power steering with a Garagistic delete, installed a new shifter support bracket/shift carrier because I broke it taking the motor out I do, however, have a photo of my engine all dolled up and ready to go back in ;)

And a photo of some of my other E30s and my first exhaust that I made for the silver car (and the POS exhaust that was on the car. I should've taken a photo of some of the welds, they were pathetic!):

Comment

Working...
                              X