'86 w/Fuel filter in eng bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'86 w/Fuel filter in eng bay

Hi I'm working on an '86 with dual pump fuel system and fuel filter in eng bay.
    Can the filter be left in stk position ? or has everyone changed over to single in tank pump and relocated filter to rear TIA
    My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Not sure if there was a difference, but I believe the stock location for the filter is on the driver side, below the external fuel pump. At least that's where it is on any 87's I've worked on.

Comment

Early models had them in the engine bay.

On my 85, I kept the dual pump system, and just relocated the filter to be right next to the external pump, in front of the rear wheel. I switched to the e34 540i filter, it's much smaller.
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
        Early models had them in the engine bay.

On my 85, I kept the dual pump system, and just relocated the filter to be right next to the external pump, in front of the rear wheel. I switched to the e34 540i filter, it's much smaller.
        Thanks J Good! I searched your build thread and started through it but couldn't find fuel system info.
        Opinion on changing to single pump ( existing tank use 318i intank pump )
        My CA legal M60 swap

Comment

Originally posted by 36brua View Post
          Thanks J Good! I searched your build thread and started through it but couldn't find fuel system info.
          Opinion on changing to single pump ( existing tank use 318i intank pump )

I plan on it eventually. Both pumps need to be functioning in the dual pump system for it to work properly, so why have an extra failure point? Just make sure you run new high pressure hose from the internal pump to the hard line.
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
            I plan on it eventually. Both pumps need to be functioning in the dual pump system for it to work properly, so why have an extra failure point? Just make sure you run new high pressure hose from the internal pump to the hard line.
            Since there was a bit of whining from 'back there' and the car is apart...I'm going to revise to single pump system. Thnks
            My CA legal M60 swap

Comment

Working...
            X