Finally, a functional bass machine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
    This is why some cars have more bass in the cabin with the trunk open...lack of seal.
    Luke, could you explain this more?

Comment

add in the idea of 3 Harman/Kardon CA260 amps and an Infinity Reference 1210A, along with all the auxillary electronics, batteries, caps....what a lot of crap!
      How are the Infinity Reference amps? The specs on the website look absolutely horrible, but then maybe I'm reading them wrong. Mostly I was looking at the signal-to-noise ratio.
      -Brandon
      '86 325es S50
      '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
      '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
      '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
      S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Is the flase wall going to cover everything up? Or are you going to have cutouts for the amps and crossovers to show through?

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by spencers
          Cool, I'm not the only one who did some ICE this weekend. I built myself a new box as well (pictures coming soon)
          Hey Jordan, here's the setup. What do you think? :)

Comment

Cool, I'm not the only one who did some ICE this weekend. I built myself a new box as well (pictures coming soon)
            this will not end well
            Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
            Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

Well, I think you need to replace your rear window trim. :up:

Sub setup looks good.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Yeah. THought you couldn't paint em? They'd just chip again..

But who knows. I'm off topic.

Comment

hot

and as usuall, an incredibly clean install.
                  98 M3/4/5

Comment

To Beej,
                    Yes, the specs BLOW!!!
                    We is gonna sell them sometime, but not yet. We still have 3 year old Fosgate in stock...some fool had NFC how to order. Infinity tells me the specs are actually accurate, unlike everyone else. In the short time I had to chat with the gent from Infinity, I get the feeling they are every bit as good as any other amp on the market and better than most.

Just for the hell of it, read up on Conrad/Johnson, Bryston, ARC, Mark Levinson, Threshold or several other really awesome sounding home amps. S/N is a telling spec, but nowhere near as important as slew rate or damping factor, and the Infinity amps are far WORSE there!

I do need 6 channels of power for my mid/tweet combo, and I may still go to the new 6 channel Infinity instead of the H/K's I have owned since the early 80's.
                    LF

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

OK, so here is a quick explanation of why Jordan has plenty of midbass...

First, crossovers are NOT a brick wall, they allow frequencies above (in the case of a low pass) or below (in the case of a high pass) the 3db down point (the actual crossover point).

Since the crossover allows other frequencies to pass, guess what rate they are allowed to pass at...wanna bet the 12 db/oct or 24 db/oct has something to do with it?

If we have a 12db/oct crossover set to 110 Hz, we will be down 3db at 110, so 1 octave below 110 would be 55hz...where we would be 12db down.

So now take that sub low pass...85Hz@24db/oct. Figure it out...3db down at 85, means 24 db down at 170.

If someone has the PC skillz, map that out, would ya? You can see that there would be virtually no drop between the 2 crossover points.

This picture may help visualize things..

Purple line is the sub level, green line is the mid level and yellow is the combined total...

Comment

That graph is awesome.

Comment

This is the most kickass thread on this forum that I have read in a while :up:

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Some guys try and bullshit their way into saying the bass has a longer distance to develop...BULLSHIT! a 20Hz wave is about 54 feet long...do you really think the 2 feet you gain will make a difference?
                            Thank god you came along stero installer...

Although, I think you would agree that car interiors are the worst place in the world to design a clean sounding audio system? So maby some subs "feel" better pointed backwards or something? Or the padding in the trunk absorbs some of the higher bass frequences, leaving only the lower frequences, and giving the impression the sub "hits" harder?
                            Originally posted by Matt-B
                            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves
                              Some guys try and bullshit their way into saying the bass has a longer distance to develop...BULLSHIT! a 20Hz wave is about 54 feet long...do you really think the 2 feet you gain will make a difference?
                              Thank god you came along stero installer...

Although, I think you would agree that car interiors are the worst place in the world to design a clean sounding audio system? So maby some subs "feel" better pointed backwards or something? Or the padding in the trunk absorbs some of the higher bass frequences, leaving only the lower frequences, and giving the impression the sub "hits" harder?
                              Yeah, it seems the higher frequencies from my sub disappear and the lower ones come out more deeper.. Pisses me off with the rock/metal songs I listen to.

Comment

My bet is your box is to blame.. The single most critical aspect of a subwoofer's performance is the enclosure. If you dont get that right, you will make a great sub sound like shit. While you can get corner loading in your living room, trying to achieve this effect in a car is very hard and unpredictable due to the funky size of your trunk, the relationship between the trunk & cab, ect.. In my experience, the best solution is a simple sealed enclosure with a stout sub and lots of clean power behind it.

If you really want to do it right, download WinISD here:

and you can get the specs for building the perfect box...

Comment

Working...
                                X