Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luke: Box specs?

Hi all,
    I'm new to this board and to E30s. I'm planning on moving my audio setup from my S10 to the ix and had drawn up a few plans for the sub then saw Luke's ported 10'' design. I was wondering if he would be willing to release the external dimensions to that as a starting place for guys like myself? I'm guessing my specs I'm hoping for are a little different to what Luke's box is built for. I'm going for ~27hz tuning. Either way, it looks like it fits beautifully up to the rear seat. I had originally planned an up-firing enclosure but like the idea of front facing a lot more. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Mike B.

not to be a dick, but why would he give dimensions away if hes trying to sell them. He spent alot of time creating and determining which size is idea for us, I really don't think he'll give out info just like that, but if you ask him nice enough, maybe he will?

Comment

paging Stereoinstaller1
      -Andy

Comment

Mike, if I could actually draw the box out for you, I would. It is still a "cut and fit" proposition,. even though I use templates and such, I don't know the measurements!

The outside specs are:
        W: 36"
        H: 15" (dead nuts on, taller or shorted and you have issues)
        Bottom Depth: 10"
        Top Depth: 4"

If you build out of 3/4 MDF, that will give you a gross air space of 1.5 cubic feet.

The woofer is offset by a couple of inches, as the trunk is offset. There is a big old wire running down the left side and that is a bit of an issue...so if you get to measuring and find your woofer having an 18" C/L, it is WRONG!!!

Now, let me warn you: I will not divulge all of my tuning info. Hell, I have 20 years into learning how to make awesome bass in an E30...but WTF, have at it.

I can tell you this: if you can find a woofer that will handle over 25 watts RMS in a box tuned to 27Hz in an E30, I will be shocked. Your old S10 with that HUGE 60Hz bump is not the same here...in fact, damn near opposite. No output from 60 to 80, then a peak at 100...but a big old bump at 40 means you tune higher than normal given the airspace.

So, if you do 2 3" ports, it isn't hard to make them adjustable. Just make the quite short (like 60Hz tuning) and then make longer tubes you can add on.

If you were to find say, an old school Becker woofer with a Qts around .19 and a Fs about 22Hz, with a VAS way the hell out there like 300 liters, I could maybe see like a tuning in the range of 30hz...but you better make that box more like 4 cubic feet!

So, in honor of you asking me to divulge my 30 years of professional experience on your very first post, tear it up!

Post pics, make me proud!
        Originally posted by mrbobian View Post
        Hi all,
        I'm new to this board and to E30s. I'm planning on moving my audio setup from my S10 to the ix and had drawn up a few plans for the sub then saw Luke's ported 10'' design. I was wondering if he would be willing to release the external dimensions to that as a starting place for guys like myself? I'm guessing my specs I'm hoping for are a little different to what Luke's box is built for. I'm going for ~27hz tuning. Either way, it looks like it fits beautifully up to the rear seat. I had originally planned an up-firing enclosure but like the idea of front facing a lot more. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Mike B.
        Originally posted by iignite View Post
        not to be a dick, but why would he give dimensions away if hes trying to sell them. He spent alot of time creating and determining which size is idea for us, I really don't think he'll give out info just like that, but if you ask him nice enough, maybe he will?
        Hey man, that is just fine, and thank you so much for protecting my interests.

I believe in open source stuff when possible, plus all the stuff I have learned in here makes it worth it.

You are a good man!

Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

here are a coupe of pics that might help:

Inside the box:

An army of boxes:

Better detail of the face:

AAaaaaaand a bitchin sticker that Andrew made me:

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Luke, you're awesome, and when I decide to get one, I'll buy it from you.

Comment

Yeah, so get to crackin on another run! ;)

Matt (please? :D)
              Matt

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
              I pack my CD player with asbestos. Those mother fuckers pay dearly for stealing my shit.
              Originally posted by kronus
              try whacking parts of the motor with a wrench while yelling "YOU WANT SUMMA DIS? HUH?"
              Originally posted by chadthestampede
              This is like a reverse build thread; it starts out nice and gets shitty.

Comment

Soon, the weather is getting better.

I wonder how my neighbors would feel about me building in my back yard, under the awning?

Closing SOON!

Comment

If I drive to the Picnic this year, I'll pick one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
                    If I drive to the Picnic this year, I'll pick one up.
                    Are you seriously thinking about it?

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                      Soon, the weather is getting better.

I wonder how my neighbors would feel about me building in my back yard, under the awning?
                      I say it's your back yard, do what ever the fuck you want! ;)

Oh, and thanks for the sticker shout out!

P.S. - How important is sealing the box from the inside with caulk? Can you really notice a difference?

Comment

I've been wanting to make this drive for a while. I need to put my dirty through this test... Maybe encourage some others along the way to come with.

I have been wanting a sub in the car for a while. I don't want a lot of bass, but I'd like to have crisper sound that drowns away my urethane suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post

P.S. - How important is sealing the box from the inside with caulk? Can you really notice a difference?
                          I say that its quite crucial because caulk will create an air tight seal!
                          IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

If you don't seal, there will be little tiny leaks. They make a little "chuffing" sound.

I glue carefully, (it is the glue that holds the parts together) and when I staple, I look for a timy bit of "squish", glue that has been squished out of the joint.

Dammit, all of this talk SO makes me wanna go set up the table saw!

I am gonna build some new home speakers soon. I am gonna do 3) 8" woofers on each side (Jamo, 12 ohm, like $8 each on clearance at PE) and run all 6 woofers on a 200 WPC Crown amp (like $200) at 4 ohms/channel, then use 2 Tang Band mids and those nice old Polk tweets I have sitting around and get busy building the AV cabinet that I have in my head and I gotta make desks and such for Kim and I and then....

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                              Mike, if I could actually draw the box out for you, I would. It is still a "cut and fit" proposition,. even though I use templates and such, I don't know the measurements!

The outside specs are:
                              W: 36"
                              H: 15" (dead nuts on, taller or shorted and you have issues)
                              Bottom Depth: 10"
                              Top Depth: 4"

If you build out of 3/4 MDF, that will give you a gross air space of 1.5 cubic feet.

The woofer is offset by a couple of inches, as the trunk is offset. There is a big old wire running down the left side and that is a bit of an issue...so if you get to measuring and find your woofer having an 18" C/L, it is WRONG!!!

Now, let me warn you: I will not divulge all of my tuning info. Hell, I have 20 years into learning how to make awesome bass in an E30...but WTF, have at it.

I can tell you this: if you can find a woofer that will handle over 25 watts RMS in a box tuned to 27Hz in an E30, I will be shocked. Your old S10 with that HUGE 60Hz bump is not the same here...in fact, damn near opposite. No output from 60 to 80, then a peak at 100...but a big old bump at 40 means you tune higher than normal given the airspace.

So, if you do 2 3" ports, it isn't hard to make them adjustable. Just make the quite short (like 60Hz tuning) and then make longer tubes you can add on.

If you were to find say, an old school Becker woofer with a Qts around .19 and a Fs about 22Hz, with a VAS way the hell out there like 300 liters, I could maybe see like a tuning in the range of 30hz...but you better make that box more like 4 cubic feet!

So, in honor of you asking me to divulge my 30 years of professional experience on your very first post, tear it up!

Post pics, make me proud!

Hey man, that is just fine, and thank you so much for protecting my interests.

I believe in open source stuff when possible, plus all the stuff I have learned in here makes it worth it.

You are a good man!

Luke
                              Luke, thanks so much for the info. Please please don't let anything out that you don't want to. I totally respect what you on here and don't want to offend you or anything.
                              With that said, I totally did not even think about the "cab gain" or whatever the hell the term is for it. You are dead on with the S10 peaking like hell at around 60hz. I HATE HATE peaky bass around 60-80hz, I like LOW, smooth bass which is why I was shooting for 27hz. You said I would want to tune higher in this situation but won't I be forced to set my high pass to appox the tuning of the enclosure and then I'd pretty much lose anything below that? A sub would be no fun if you couldn't hit the low note in "Put On." I'm a real noob to audio but trying hard to learn. Any help would be appreciated. So I don't have a clue as to what I should tune to if E30s are typical for peaking around 40 and 100hz. My driver is an Fi Q10 powered by a Sundown 1000D. Here are the specs of the driver:

DUAL 1 | DUAL 2 Fs: 34.1 Hz | 34.0 Hz Re: 0.70 Ohms/coil | 1.4 Ohms/coil Qms: 7.31 | 7.38 Qes: .37 | .37 Qts: .36 | .36 Mms: 230g | 2235g Cms: .88mm/N | .88mm/N Sd: 310cm^2 | 310cm^2 Vas: 11.8 l | 11.8 l Spl: 83.3dB 1W/1m | 83.2dB 1W/1m Bl: 13.9 N/A | 19.6 N/A Xmax: 28mm Rms: 1000W Sealed box: .2-.6 cuft HQTS Ported box: .5-1.2 cuft @ 28-33Hz Sub OD: 11.000” Cut ID: 9.250” Mounting depth: 6.500” Displacement: 0.12cuft

I don't know 3/4 of the stuff on that list means. What are your suggestions I try and tune to if you don't mind? Thanks!

Mike B.

Comment

Working...
                              X