How To: GET and RESET Airbag Codes/SRS Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To: GET and RESET Airbag Codes/SRS Light

Disclaimer: This information is used from AllDataPro. I have no responsibility in what you do. What happens or breaks on your car while you're doing this is your own fault. If you want to do this correctly, go buy the proper tool or take your car to a professional. Some of the images were used from AllDataPro. Don't rip this write up off from me, I worked hard doing this as a favor to the e30 community.

This is the 1st write up for GETTING and RESETTING Airbag Codes/SRS Light. This has worked on a 1990 and a 1991 3.25i.

Tools You Need:

1.) Jumper wire - Nothing too long since you will be jumping pins at your Diagnostic Connector. Something around 5inches long.

2.) A Friend - Someone that you trust, and is competent. They will either need to jump the pins, or will be able to read the flashing light (similar to reading check engine light codes).

Steps to READ codes:
    1.) Make sure your ignition is turned off. Open your hood, and locate the diagnostic connector and unscrew the top.

2.) Inside the diagnostic connector, locate pin #1 and pin #6.

3.) Take your jumper wire and jump pin #1 and pin #6. Make sure the jumper wire has a good connection with the pins.

4.) Go in your car and turn the ignition to ON in one quick movement.

5.) Look at your SRS/Airbag Light and watch the flashes. If everything is done correctly, it should display as follows:

Light ON for 6 seconds (Bulb Test)

Flashes quickly 1 to __ times depending on number of faults

DARK for 3 seconds

Light ON for 3 seconds (Start of Fault Codes)

DARK for 3 seconds

Flashes quickly 1 to 4 times. Note number for example: 1xx

DARK for 3 seconds

Flashes quickly 1 to 4 times. Note number for example: x2x

DARK for 3 seconds

Flashes quickly 1 to 4 times. Note number for example: xx4

DARK for 3 seconds

Flashes quickly 1 to 2 times. 1 time means brief fault (eg. brief break of contact). 2 times means permanent fault (eg. hard code).

DARK for 3 seconds

Light ON for 3 seconds (Break/start with more than 1 fault repeat Lamp on continuously = end of check control)

Steps to CLEAR codes:
    Perform steps 1-4 and then turn the ignition key to OFF. Remove the jumper wire and turn the ignition key back to ON (the light will stay lit for approximately 6 seconds then turn off). Make sure the light has turned off after the 6 seconds.

Attached is the SRS Light trouble code description.

EDIT: If you have any problems, feel free to email me at vdang5(at)gmail.com with the subject of 'r3vlimited - SRS Light'
    Attached Files
    Last edited by evil_twin; 06-03-2010, 04:42 PM.
    I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
    2875-C Towerview Road
    Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

very cool. what codes did you end up pulling on those 325s?

Comment

I think it was a 214. But the lightbulb was moved when I bought the car. And now moved the light back because it kept flashing at me.
      I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Delta Auto Care
      2875-C Towerview Road
      Herndon, VA

Comment

ok just curious bc maybe people can start finding out common problems with the srs. ill have to try this out when i get the chance and see the wiring differences with a 24v swap

Comment

Nifty. Think this might work on an e34? I've got an SRS light on my '91 that I'd love to clear off the dash.
          -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
          '95 525iT
          '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
          '98 Disco 1

Comment

No idea if it works on the e34. I wish I knew, but I don't have an e34 anymore. :(

Delta Auto Care
            2875-C Towerview Road
            Herndon, VA

Comment

Going to try this soon. I have been trying to fix mine for five years...

Even with a reset tool hooked to the SRS system I could not get mine to reset... even with replacement airbag and replacement crash sensors (fender top orange boxes in engine bay).

I will report back eventually on the success or failure of this method.

Thanks for the info post!

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
              HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
              **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

Got the codes

I did the procedures. For mine, I had to have the key on, then jump #1 and #6. The light then blinks the codes. For me, I had 2 - 323 and 114. Once the codes are done, the light stays on.

I think I got a reset to work. With the key on, I unhooked the jump. The light went out. I turned the key off then back on. The light stayed completely out, but then it started flashing again. A recheck of the codes showed the same ones. Looks like I have some troubleshooting in order...

More if anything changes.

Comment

Excellent, I'm able to pull the code from my 1992 325ic. However, I'm getting the following flasing code 333, 432 and 214. Anybody, know what 333 and 432 error means?

Comment

When following this procedure, I noted that the key has to be turned to the #1 position (acc) instead of on for the codes to be displayed.
                    The reset procedure doesn't work for me. I'm getting brief code 323 due to a steering wheel removal job with the battery connected. Oops. But, now that everything is reconnected, how do I get the SRS computer to realize that everything is back to normal? I'd expect problems with a hard fault, but not a brief one.
                    Has anyone ever had the reset work for them? What'd you do?

Comment

If I may ask - why pin 1, which is DME timing control? Maybe pin 19 (GND)?

Comment

If the light is ON, it's going to stay ON until the problem is fixed. Try clearing the code. It's posted above.

Steps to CLEAR codes:
                        Perform steps 1-4 and then turn the ignition key to OFF. Remove the jumper wire and turn the ignition key back to ON (the light will stay lit for approximately 6 seconds then turn off). Make sure the light has turned off after the 6 seconds.
                        Nslss2006 - Pin 1 because that what it is. Pin 1. out of curiosity, why are you asking what the DME timing control is? This is an airbag thread.

Delta Auto Care
                        2875-C Towerview Road
                        Herndon, VA

Comment

what would be the proper way to work on an e30 with an airbag.

I need to remove a cluster out of my buddies car,
                          i dont want a srs light to come on for him.
                          and i need to pull the wheel.

-
                          Project
                          Parts for Sale
                          Feedback
                          YouTube Channel

Comment

I can read codes, but I cant delete them...
                            Is there important time gap between step 4 and turn ignition key to off?

Comment

darn, no dice on my 90 325i. i pulled the check panel to swap sunroof switch's and it just flashes at me. tried this way, tried hooking pin 6 directly to ground, and tried disconnecting the battery.

Never mind, I fingered it out. For some reason this procedure wouldn't work for me so I ended up pulling the battery cable then tried grounding pin #6 and it worked.
                              Last edited by Mullet Bullet; 06-06-2011, 09:50 PM.

Originally posted by nwvb bmw
                              That guy is going to lock you in his basement and make you ware a little pirate costume.

Comment

Working...
                              X