Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concept project: E30 with C4 IFS, IRS, engine and trans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concept project: E30 with C4 IFS, IRS, engine and trans?

So don't shoot first... Think about it for a minute. Lots of LS1 swaps happening so we know the engine will fit.

The C4 'vette has a drop out IFS suspension mounts/engine cradle.

Engine bay or frame rail comparison:
    C4 = 28.125" across inside
    E30 = 27.625" across inside
    About 0.5" difference or 1/4" per side - the C4 K-member could be sectioned or the E30 frame rails could be modified

C4 IFS hub to hub width is around 61.5". 84-87 is narrower than later C4 by about 1".

The rear suspension is also a drop out, complete unit. 62" wide hub to hub with discs on.

Track width:
    C4 track width is 59.6"/60.4" F/R.
    E30 track width is 55.4"/55.7" F/R.
    Box flares would be appropriate.

The C4 engine does sit too far back in the engine cradle. However, we know the engine fits in the E30, so this should be a matter of finding or modifying the right pan that works with the proper engine location. Motor mounts shouldn't be a huge undertaking. There are adapter plates available to use the stock mounts that move the engine 3" forward. Custom motor mounts are readily available or can be fabricated for short money.

Granted there would be much fabrication involved. This is not about common sense. It's an idea that might work.

Too crazy or just right? For a "streetfighter" style build?

Salad shooters bolt on!!!!
    Last edited by Just Scott; 04-12-2012, 07:37 PM.
    1990 325is - sterling silver, very nice, maybe for sale

Here is the rear done... it's been narrowed though.

Comment

Saw that and it has only thrown gas on the fire!

I think stock width would be OK with box flares, maybe wider than an M3. Something like the Vorschlag GRM challenge car...

Comment

If you have a welder, lath, mill, and some skill. Go for it, then make, kit for everyone. The greatest achivements in the world only happened because of trial and error.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
          If you have a welder, lath, mill, and some skill. Go for it, then make, kit for everyone. The greatest achivements in the world only happened because of trial and error.
          So very true.
          E30 buildy things
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

Progress on the E30 side...

Something odd about the front of that E30...

It's all gone - no engine, trans, suspension, etc

Plenty more to do, but I've been focused on learning about the C4 parts and if they will fit, which I think they will. Made several trips to a yard near the office that has a junk 1985 sitting there. Still taking measurements at this point, but it looks promising.

And yes, I think I like the coiled cell phone antennae - THAT is from back in the day!

Comment

The basic answer is that it'll work if you're not averse to cutting the crap out of the shell. It wouldn't shock me if you needed to go to a partial tube frame front end by the time you're done cutting.
              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Doooo it!

Comment

No problem cutting and welding anything that needs done. The E30 I have was acquired to use as a parts car, but the shell is pretty nice, so this concept was born.

Yes, I colored that with sharpie markers - just call me Chip...

And I'm no purist - whatever works and will make it go fast, this is a "street fighter" style build - function over form.

I know that's a 2002 and a Hot Wheel. And no, I'm not 12. More like a 40 year old engineer...

Regarding the suspension install, the rear appears to be the more challenging of the two ends and that has already been done and well documented. Looks like they did use some rect tube to get the job done. The front will need some work and probably tube to fit the C4 K-member as well.

Comment

I was podering making a complete custom suspension setup, with A arms slide sway bars and what not. If guys can make them for Locost cars no reason why we cant make them for the E30.

Anyway Proceed, I am liking your style.
                    sigpic

Comment

The problem with building an A-arm style suspension for the e30 comes down to packaging, not enough room at the top to make it fit. Look at how wide the suspension on a Locost is, it really limits engine choice.

Very interested in this Corvette re-body though. Any thoughts as to how the steering will line up?
                      Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                      A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Working...
                      X