Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Side jobs and supplemental income, what do you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side jobs and supplemental income, what do you do?

We have a "what do you do for a living" thread, but what do you do, besides what you do?

I'm looking to start making some hobby income. I have a cushy desk job and I need some more fulfillment. Not hurting for money or anything, but just want to "work for myself" a little on the side.

Anyone here share that mentality? Who here makes money on the side, and how do you do it?

I have some ideas of my own, but I'm curious what others are doing.
    Instagram
    sigpic
    Current: 99 M3
    Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

kitten calendars
    world renown Harry Potter expert
    sigpic

Comment

Many moon ago I used to do A LOT of concrete work on the side... from decorative landscaping curb to full on patios shop and barn floors and the ocasional retaning wall. My old job/contractor likes to work 4/10s. So some weeks I made more fri/sat/sun than all week.... sometimes like 5 times as much if it was a big enough pour.
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

Welding and fabrication. Did it for a living for several years, now that I'm in the AC its nice to get my hands dirty.

It also can come back and bite you in the ass......
        sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Bartending

Soooo much fun. Plus the tips are good. It's all about socializing and having a great time

A couple of weeks ago this REALLY cute nerdy Jewish chic was pretty tipsy and flirting with me. She insisted at the end of the night that she give me her number.

Despite having a GF already, who am I to say no?
          If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Once I have a garage again I'll be doing auto work on the side.

I'm much more picky than I used to be though, only need to get burned a couple times to learn.

If someone even hints at trying to barter my prices, fuck off.

If they seem flaky, fuck off.

If they talk shit about other mechanics, fuck off. (Because as soon as you have a disagreement they'll be talking about you.)

Oh, and if it's someone I've never met before and they open with a sob story.... I think you can guess my answer.

So yea, pretty much only friends, friends of friends, and family. But those things above are mainly why I don't do sidework anymore, its just not worth the hassle.

Your personal time is not worth dirt to many people.
            No E30 Club
            Originally posted by MrBurgundy
            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

As a secondary way to make some money, I take part in the Team Fortress 2 and CS:GO trading economy.

People pay ridiculous cash for virtual hats with particle effects and rare items in TF2 and people pay crazy money for gun and knife skins in CS:GO. Over 4 years in my trading hobby, I've made around $6,500+ in profit from trading. And if you think that's ridiculous, someone paid $19,000 (half paid in in-game items) for a Burning Flames Team Captain.

Here's the listing on backpack.tf where the guy explains how he bought it:

"Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
              The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

Originally posted by UlrichFennec View Post
                As a secondary way to make some money, I take part in the Team Fortress 2 and CS:GO trading economy.

People pay ridiculous cash for virtual hats with particle effects and rare items in TF2 and people pay crazy money for gun and knife skins in CS:GO. Over 4 years in my trading hobby, I've made around $6,500+ in profit from trading. And if you think that's ridiculous, someone paid $19,000 (half paid in in-game items) for a Burning Flames Team Captain.

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/543f6992b98d8833228b46a8
                Hah, reminds me when I used to sell items from Diablo 2 on ebay in the early 2000's.
                Instagram
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UlrichFennec View Post

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/543f6992b98d8833228b46a8

yea but isn't that in steam currency? Using real dollar prices? Or can you deposit that into a bank account?
                  2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                  (Daily Driver)
                  Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                  KW V2 Coilovers
                  VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Originally posted by codyep3 View Post
                    yea but isn't that in steam currency? Using real dollar prices? Or can you deposit that into a bank account?
                    I use Paypal. Sometimes I'll trade my items for some steam money to buy a game I really want, but higher tier traders use Paypal. Transfer the funds from Paypal to my bank account, they can't chargeback, and I'm golden. They don't go by steam currency for prices, since the steamcommunity market is a different ball game. They use actual dollar/GBP prices.

Comment

currently trying my hand at flipping houses. took me a year and almost thirty grand, but i transformed this:

into this:

photo share

Comment

That kitchen is stellar. I love the countertops!

Comment

thanks bro, i put alot of focus on the kitchen and bathroom, basically made them my gamble for selling the place and making a reasonable sum of money

Comment

I do residential contracting work. I was a residential contractor for 8 years and decided that I didn't like the ups and downs of seasonal work so I got a masters in history and now I'm a teacher as well as a soccer coach at a private high school.

I still do residential contracting on weekends/holidays/and summers to make extra cash. I will probably make an additional $20k this year in cash doing side work like painting, drywall, framing, tile, etc. Not bad spending money.

Comment

Nice work jalopi
                              Instagram
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X