Laguna DD/Weekend Warrior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laguna DD/Weekend Warrior

So, as I said in another thread, my last vert got totaled. I was devastated. Basically went "fuck, now I have to start over with a new POS", but I may have gotten pretty lucky on this one.

Scooped up this Laguna Green on beige vert for around 1500. 5spd, 134,870 miles and everything works for the most part. Heated seats too! Electric top doesn't work anymore, so I have to figure out how to get it down manually. Newer clutch, just had a valve adjustment too. I even have the window sticker from the dealer the original owner got it from in the 90's. It's crazy that a car you can get for dirt cheap, someone paid $36,350 for back then. :o

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150908_152715.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	7245473

The plastic window is trashed, but since it's a 92, I've got a zip in window, so I'll just get one of those eMiata windows and call it good. ;D

Name:	20150908_153011.jpg
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	7245474

It has the BBS alloys that I wanted on the last vert I had, so that's a plus! Some curb rash, but that's to be expected. Has all the center caps, so that's good too. New tires, brake rotors, pads and calipers. Drives straight and there's no squeaks to be heard. Just the typical vert noises. Top components rattling and whatnot that I'm used to.

Name:	20150908_152939.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	7245475

Interior definitely needs work, but I really don't wanna replace the front seats because they're heated, and that's nice in Colorado winters. Our old Audi A6 had heated seats and those were a godsend. The rear seats are trash, so I'm gonna see about restitching and getting some covers. other than that, the dash has fewer cracks than the last vert, so that's nice, I suppose. A/C works too.

Now, I really want to address this leak at some point, but it's not too big of a deal. I'm used to M20s just having a drip. I'm making the assumption that it's the head gasket, but I could be wrong. It idles fine. It doesn't burn any oil on start up. No blue smoke or white smoke. Coolant and oil levels seem fine enough. Any one have any idea? The guy's got it on 5w30 synthetic, so I know that's a definite nono out here. I'm probably going to switch it to 10w40 conventional when I change my oil and other fluids just for peace of mind.

Other than that, there's no serious rust anywhere. Just tiny bits of surface rust on because of rock chips, It looks to be a pretty solid car and I look forward to working on it! Although the only thing that annoys me is this dented valence. Any suggestions if I can repair this myself? It looks doable. If not, I can just see about finding a junker valence and getting it painted.

Spent a couple hours detailing. Pain in the ass to get a lot of the built up sap that was all over the paint and cleaning the wheels took a while, but now she looks a LOT more presentable.

Spruced up the trim and took out the rear seats and the front seats to inspect the floor boards, peeling back the carpet. No rust to be found. I'm in the clear. The rear seats look trashy as all hell though, so now I just wait for some beige rears to show up on CL.

UPDATE: Sept-Mid-Oct, 2015

Timing belt kit and new plastic window! She looks way better than she did before. Now, all that's needed for the exterior is a late model valance, a respray and an iS lip with fogs. Probably going to take out the sealed beams and French the highs because why the fuck not?

UPDATE: Nov. 1st, 2015

Got a fuckton of work done recently.

Found out my washer reservoir was cracked at the seam, so scoured Ebay for the cheapest one I could find and luckily picked up one for $20 with a functioning pump. Quick and easy install. Learned my lesson to not get washer fluid the same color as your coolant as well. Thought I was leaking coolant the first time I filled up the washer reservoir since both are blue.

Whoops.

Timing belt service just got done at around 135k. Gates belt, new water pump, seals and yadda yadda. Picked up a nice shift knob to replace the old faded one. Seat covers to take care of the trashy seats until I can find some replacement beige rear and front seats. Swapped the side markers and front indicators with clears and amber bulbs. I think it looks nicer imo. Replaced the old Blaupunkt RPD-552 head unit with an Alpine CDE-134BT with all the Bluetooth and USB fanciness. Swapped out the battery, wipers, got some floor mats and a dash cover. New bulbs all around and replacement reverse light switch.

Now I just have to go about getting my heater core un-bypassed so I have something other than the seats to keep me warm in the winter.

Changed the oil to Valvoline 10w40 conventional for the winter, changed out the diff fluid and the gear oil and now she shifts butter smooth. Got some snow tires on for the bottlecaps while I'm working on refinishing the basketweaves and cleaning them up. Still have an oil leak from under the intake manifold on the block, so I'm thinking it's the oil return tube.

About to order a new front valance. I think the black will look alright with the green and match the rockers. She's slowly getting pieced together, little by little and I'm having WAY more fun out of working on this one than the last vert.

Bonus E36 M3 friendo I met at our local European car meet.

UPDATE: Nov. 12, 2015

Shiny new front panel, courtesy of Blunt. That'll be on soon along with the is lip and foglights.

UPDATE: Nov. 18, 2015

Panel freshly painted satin black. Got the iS lip on and am gonna have to put my foglights in on a day where it's less cold. Kept the Laguna brake ducts on. I think it's a nice little touch, and the black makes it match with the rockers and rear valence. Not everyone's taste, but I like it and that's all that matters. I'll be Lamin-xing the high beams yellow much like the last vert whenever I'm arsed to. The next thing we're gonna work on is brakes and suspension little by little! Might order some new wheel bearings and shocks because why not?

UPDATE: Nov. 20, 2015

Brake job. Nothing special. Got some Bosch Quietcast pads for the front and had the rotors resurfaced.

UPDATE: Nov. 21, 2015

Deliberated for a bit and decided to stay fogless! Most likely gonna chuck my fogs on CL and pick up some delete panels. That, and I got bored with the highs being clear and decided to get some tint on them. A few small creases, but it's whatever. I'm not going for concours quality and if I don't like it, I'll just peel it off.

We went from this:

To this:

She looks almost looks like the last vert and it makes me happy to be back where I was, but with less money in the hole, less issues and a manual instead of a soulless slushbox. I'm very happy with how Leafeon's turned out so far and can't wait to start improving her more and more. Suspension, brakes, tires and then POWAH. ;D

Now, we start saving up for a nice suspension kit so we can drop a bit and firm up. A Garagistic strut brace is in order! There'll probably be little cosmetic fixes here and there, like replacement rear seats if I can find them, perhaps wheels if I get bored of the weaves in the summer, and a different steering wheel to get rid of the chunky airbag wheel.

It's another update!

JANUARY 8, 2016:

So, the car was running pretty well until a few weeks ago when pretty much most of the gaskets and vacuum lines on the car decided to shit the bed.

The idle went up 1000 RPM. The car started smelling like fuel. The motor was hissing like a pissed off cat, and it was throwing a Code 1222 according to the stomp test. Yuck!

The first thing I did was yank off the ICV and clean it out. It wasn't even that dirty and the valve was working. Replaced the hose that went from it to the manifold in hopes it would help. Nope. Not even a little bit.

So, I said fuck it. Gasket all the things!

Intake Manifold gaskets
    Oil return tube o-rings
    Intake boot
    Air filter
    Every vacuum line to replace all the ancient lines
    Throttle body gasket
    Injector o-rings
    Fuel rail
    Hose clamps galore
    And a shit-ton of Mountain Dew.

All the vac lines were replaced along with the intake boot. Replaced the air filter even though it was mostly clean for good measure and done.

We're at a healthy 750 RPM idle. No more loud hissing and shitty noises from the engine bay. The throttle response is great! No more leaks! Just purring like a 20+ year old German cat. Well...ticking.

UPDATE: Time for a small refresh. The control arms, outer tie rods and CABs are what were going to go on the last vert. Good thing I saved them. Hate to waste new parts. My H&R cabrio sport springs came and shocks/struts came in a while back and I think now that the weather is nicer, it's a good time for a drop. Just need shock mounts and later on, TA bushings and subframe bushings.

I think the 1.3" drop will fill up the gap pretty nicely.

Attached Files
    Last edited by UlrichFennec; 03-11-2017, 01:20 AM.
    "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
    The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Was this Just Posted On Reddit in r/e30? If so I commented on it. I say again Sweet Color and Great Price. Good potential here.
    Bmw CCA # 490080

1995 525iA RIP
    1987 325e Cirrusblau-Metallic/Pacific Blue (Daily)

DSC_1725 by Matthew Johnson, on Flickr

Comment

I'd say you got her for a steal . That's a good lookin vert.
      1990 Alpine 325is
      1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Matt341 View Post
        Was this Just Posted On Reddit in r/e30? If so I commented on it. I say again Sweet Color and Great Price. Good potential here.
        Yes it was! The first thing I'll be replacing is a reverse light switch that went out. Should be a simple project. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Comment

Glad to see I'm not the only one on /r/e30 lol. And yeah, great price and I have a soft spot for that color. You're making me want a vert! Anyways, great lookin project you got there!
          Instagram: @derkm

Comment

You pretty much stole that car! If you still have your old one you could part it out... though if insurance paid out more than 1500 I'd just let them take care of it... after you picked off a few choice parts!

Tan rear seats are easy to find so you're best off playing the waiting game until some pop up somewhere.

I would replace your headlights #1. I have H4's but projectors are cool too. There's a guy on here who sells an adapter kit to run HIDs in them, but everything gets pricey like that (unless you had projectors on your old car and can nab them!)

As for the leak... could be anything. My oil pan gasket has been leaking for years. I wouldn't worry too much until fluids start dropping rapidly. Read up on the ZDDP content of modern oils... ours roller cams need an additive

Yeah man you really scored.. a late motel vert with plastic bumpers in green/tan with a full history and less than 150k miles.. for 1500! It doesn't get any better than that!

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

In for rear diving board conversion.
              No E30 Club
              Originally posted by MrBurgundy
              Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

^ I had to take my window out a couple times after it sat in the sun to get it perfect, after which I glued and siliconed. The plastic is pretty forgiving, just make sure to put a towel on the window when folding the top.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

What happened to the other vert?
                  318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                  '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                    What happened to the other vert?
                    Long story short, somebody was riding my ass down Academy as I was on my way to trade school. They were on their phone not paying attention. Traffic slowed to a stop and they rear ended me, pushing me into another car. Car was totaled, tried to buy it back, but we have limited space, so I just picked a few choice parts and let it go for auction at a wreckers.

Insurance cut me a check for 4600 and I scooped up this little cherry! My airdam should be coming in today, so I'm gonna see about putting it on along with the iS lip and fogs. It's all golden now, and I honestly prefer this vert to the old one.

Comment

So no diving board?
                      No E30 Club
                      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

No diving board. :c

Comment

Mmm..

Blunt delivers.

Comment

is it possible to change diving board bumper on a 87 vert to small bumper

Comment

Originally posted by warshark View Post
                              is it possible to change diving board bumper on a 87 vert to small bumper
                              My spam senses are tingling.....
                              No E30 Club

Comment

Working...
                              X