325 Formally Functional Blown S52 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325 Formally Functional Blown S52 Build

So I've been here a while, mainly on the classifieds, so I figured id start a build to introduce myself and my car.

For the story since every build seems to have a story attached to it. I bought a cheap 85 325e that was a "drift car" for cheap to get into the e30 world. Put a little bit into it and had a decent car on a budget. Planned on doing a budget turbo, but cruising Craigslist saw an ad for a non running 84 325e with power everything, clean Cali/ Colorado car and bonus it came with an s52. All the kid wanted was a running e30, so I drove to Denver traded cars and sent this one right to the shop to do the engine swap. Well after 7 months and a $7000 price increase to do the swap over the intial quote I said screw it and brought the car home.

Ive owned this car 3 years and lost motivation a million times for a bunch of reason. Ive never driven it and until a month ago it never had a drivers seat actually bolted in. So hopefully this build thread will help keep me motivated and put this all in one place for my future reference. I'm calling this Formally Functional because there's some sweet performance going into it but also some cool rare parts I've been collecting.

So the plan as of now. S52 with a Zf, LSD, CATuned coilovers, IE sway bars, revshift bushings, 5 lug swap, BBS', OE MTech1 body kit, cage, carbon interior, custom rear end,and whatever else catches my eye and blows any sort of budget.

This first post is 3 years of what I've been doing to get caught up.

The original car and junkyard special since I sourced most parts from there. I put a new interior in since it was gutted. Some VW snowflakes and cleaned it up alittle

And the car I traded for.

The MTech 1 kit from the UK

Victor steering wheel from Poland that will get mounted on a Longacre quick release. With some cool pieces to keep a horn and turn signal cancel. Even though I have a 385 and 370 MTech 1 wheel.

Here she is washed up after getting pushed a half mile down the road at 11pm from the house I was in to the shop i shared with some friends. One of the wheels fell off since the axle shafts weren't in so that added some fun.

Engine bay painted in Diamond Swartz.

This is one of the road blocks that's really killed motivation. I painted the engine and was pulling the vanos so I could reseal the engine and the timing was way off. So I'm still debating what route to take on that. And this lovely groove on the dampner.

Now some of the fun stuff. e36 m3/ 318ti 5 lug swap with CATuned 5 lug swap coilovers. Which in the end I should have just bought everything new.

BBS RC041 which again killed motivation after finding cracked barrels and a cracked face.

New single pump fuel system with a DeatschWerks DW250 fuel pump, Earl's fuel filter and all new lines. All factory hardlines we're thoroughly cleaned and painted.

The fun restoration of the under side. Everything got stripped cleaned and new paint. Replaced if needed but like the ebrake lines show, this car was in amazing shape. A 2.93 LSD was sourced and rebuilt with a Thayer 3 clutch setup.

Now the diff rebuild didn't stop there and this is where the build starts to get a little wild and has really pushed what I've built before. I saw a build on a Z3M by Vorshlag and figured I could do that to an E30. So here is my conversion from a single ear diff cover to a dual ear e36 cover. The original crossmemebr was cut out and a new one fabricated. To beef up the trunk and body I made a reinforcement plate and some tube gussets. One problem with the e36 cover is it's shallower and since the diff was together already putting a new tone wheel in was out. So I kind of messed up on the crossmember but it worked perfect in the end. I cut a spacer for the whole cover so everything plays nice.

Not stopping with reinforcement there a 6 point cage is going in. I want to be safe on the track even though it'll be open lap days and some local time attack but on the street with all the crazies out there. So keeping a race feel inside some Sparco Grids were sourced from Poland, a cage from Roll Cage Components, carbon fiber door cards from Vink Motorsports in the Netherlands and not shown is some other carbon that is coming.

For now that is fairly caught up. So shoot away with questions. It'll be slow progress but I think it'll be pretty cool when it's done.
    Last edited by t_dady; 10-03-2018, 10:44 AM.
    84 325e MTech 1, Supercharged S52
    IG: blwn_325
    The Build https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=423590

Apparently my pictures are huge so I'll try and figure that out
    Last edited by t_dady; 06-24-2018, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by t_dady View Post
      Apparently my pictures are huge so I'll try and figure that out
      With imgur, if you add "l" or "h" before the ".jpg" in your [IMG] tag, it automatically resizes. L sizes the horizontal to 640, H to 1024
      There's a few others but they're too small for forum use

Comment

Originally posted by Mazdayasna View Post
        With imgur, if you add "l" or "h" before the ".jpg" in your [IMG] tag, it automatically resizes. L sizes the horizontal to 640, H to 1024
        There's a few others but they're too small for forum use
        I will keep that in mind if I switch back to imgur. For now I just switched everything to LensDump since they provide BBcode with different size options. I think the medium I picked this go works well.

Comment

It's been a while since i updated so I'm going to break it into a couple posts.

I was going to sell the S52 and go with a Japanese 4 Cylinder for weight and space racing but I found a good deal on a VF Engineering supercharger on here and some local spite decided to keep it. I tore the engine down a cleaned all the grime off everything and resealed the engine. My friend owns a local truck shop and i had some credit on my account so I piucked up some ARP headstuds and rod bolts. This was a big day since it had been 3 years since the car had an engine in it. EVen if i did have to drive 150 miles to Denver to get new bellhousing bolts. Also had a nasty battle with 140 amp alternator not clearing the compressor housing.

Last edited by t_dady; 10-03-2018, 10:02 AM.

Comment

I also decided to pick up a 10" buffer and got into polishing a little. I think everything shined up real nice.

And i tried polishing a couple turbos for my friends race truck. 125mm holset and for reference next to the 75mm cover for the supercharger.

Last edited by t_dady; 10-03-2018, 10:39 AM.

Comment

i bought a Euro S50 oil housing on ebay and thought everthing was great. Went to install the Chase Bays Vanos line that has a 12mm banjo already and it didnt even touch threads. Pulled the housing and it looks like someone had butchered the threads trying to make 1/4 NPT ports. So i chopped up my S52 housing that had nice threads and welded everything back up real nice.

Comment

jeeeeeZUS thats a big john
                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Again thanks to my buddy having some tools that i don't so i could make this Victor steering wheel work on a Longacre quick release while still maintaining a factory E30 column. Nice having a turn signal cancel even though I never use them and working horn to come. It takes a couple extra steps to get everything together but i think its pretty nice to have an SFI approved adapter.

Machined a little off the hub adapter to get it flat and square. Then cut a doughnut out of 1/2" plate. Tapping 6mm threads in 1/2" steel will definitely keep you on your toes. Pretty confident in my own welding but my buddy builds cages and suspension for a living so i let him weld the pieces. Definitely got some heat into it.

Last edited by t_dady; 10-03-2018, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                    jeeeeeZUS thats a big john
                    Yea, by itself it doesn't seem that big but put it next to anything for size reference and it really shows just how huge it is.

Comment

Some carbon goodness showed up from 2M Autowerks. And a fully refurbished gauge cluster from e30_dad.

Also decided to make some holes for the cage. Always fun cutting huge holes in a nice car.

Last edited by t_dady; 10-03-2018, 10:41 AM.

Comment

And some random pictures of recent fun and issues. The E36 Mishimoto radiator and the supercharger pulley pretty much want to eat each other. So ill probably be going with a PRC radiator for a Chevy.

I had a nice Euro valance for the MTech kit but it was non A/C. Being it wouldnt sell so i could buy an A/C version i measured a little and cut two big holes in it.

And all the mockup is done for the rear end so I got the rebuilt diff all back together.

And last one for the day. If anyone is on Instagram and wants to follow this build I update that a little more frequently. @blwn_325

Comment

I really like that diff.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                            I really like that diff.
                            Thanks. Making that all work has definitely pushed my limits a couple times.

Comment

Originally posted by t_dady View Post
                              Thanks. Making that all work has definitely pushed my limits a couple times.
                              There is no growth without discomfort my friend. Great work.

Comment

Working...
                              X