Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evil_twin View Post
    i can haz sauce? :)
    That's a different sauce. I keep that in the liquor cabinet with my gun (one stop shopping).

Comment

A/r

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
      Things are looking up. I changed a few settings on the exaust profile just slightly and made some more pulls on my street dyno... the LM-2 is really paying for itself here.

I had a nice long hill and a tall gear to accelerate up. A/F ratios look better than yesterday. Maybe I found the secret sauce? It's time to schedule some dyno time!
      Its looks pretty lean to me. Did you tired to increased the fuel pressure?

Comment

Originally posted by himizoli View Post
        Its looks pretty lean to me. Did you tired to increased the fuel pressure?
        I could do that, I would like to keep stock fuel pressure for now. It's getting down to 13.7 which is much better than the 15 I was at previously. My target would be 13 or so.

I will schedule some dyno time soon to run 4 different VANOS profiles and once I get that data I will go from there. The best solution would be chip tuning, not fuel pressure.

How is your M54 coming along?

Comment

I could do that, I would like to keep stock fuel pressure for now. It's getting down to 13.7 which is much better than the 15 I was at previously. My target would be 13 or so.

I will schedule some dyno time soon to run 4 different VANOS profiles and once I get that data I will go from there. The best solution would be chip tuning, not fuel pressure.

How is your M54 coming along?
          Ok I think also 13 is good solution.
          The 4 different profile means do you want to make 4 dynorun figure?

We have a historic race next months and I prepare my other car for it.

So the M54 project is a bit late. :(
          I filled all liqued in and it is holding. I also make an electrical test to all function is working.

Comment

just checking in here to see the latest progress - as usual, its very impressive. one of my favorite projects to follow at the moment.

600hp beast

Comment

another dyno day.

I made it to the dyno today. Interesting results, to say the least.

Overall, I'm DOWN on power from where I was 4 months ago! The car has had much better driveability and with the M3 exhaust over the e30 exhaust I expected gains of at least 15 hp on the top end. I was actually down 8 on the top end.

Strange...

I attribute this to different spark plugs and adding the power steering pump. The exhaust did help it run richer but hasn't made a difference in power.

The good news is that the controller has made the torque and power bands smoother. No more massive dip at 5300 rpm. Overall, I am better in the low to mid range where the controller has authority.

I also played extensively with the exhaust cam, I made runs with it not retarded at all and retarded 4, 8 and 12 degrees. I thought there would come a point where having it retarded would make more power at the top end but ANY AMOUNT OF RETARD LOST POWER throughout the entire power band! Who would have thunk it?

I did not expect that at all, because it feels like it has better throttle response and just revs better with some amount of retard.

Intake advance still rules supreme. The motor likes as much as it can get up until around 4,000 rpm. I'm still not sure what exhaust does, but it's not for peak power. I'll keep some at mid-range rpm's.

I'm also thinking that the e36 muffler is no better, and possibly worse, than the e30 muffler.

My next frontier is more fuel. The motor still isn't at it's full potential...
              Last edited by hoveringuy; 04-10-2009, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Nice, got a dyno sheet you can share?
                  My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                  There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
                    Nice, got a dyno sheet you can share?
                    I'm waiting for the files to be e-mailed.

After some thought on this, I've come to the realization that 1) advancing intake= more power 2) retarding exhaust= less power. Therefore 3) advancing intake AND exhaust must = much more power.

Therefore, I have this in my future:
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by hoveringuy; 04-10-2009, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Attached is the plot of two runs, the first without any electronic magic, no DISA, no variable anything. All motor. Kinda weak down low but it does fine for peak power.

The second plot has variable intake timing and DISA. Intake peaks at +20 degrees advance at 2000 rpm and then slowly tapers down to nothing by 5700 rpm. Torque continues to build to a peak at 3300 rpm where the DISA switches to the short runners and then drops and never really recovers. Max difference is an additional 40 ft-lbs and 25 hp at 3300 rpm!

I can be a little more aggressive on intake advance, probably holding it to max until 3500 before reducing it. DISA also works extremely well and I will hold that in resonance until 4000 rpm from now on. I'm amazed at how much it drops when it switches. I can't explain the difference in peak power between the two, because the cams and DISA are the same after around 5500 rpm,

Max wheel horsepower of 190 here equates pretty well to M54 rated power of 225-230hp at 5900 rpm. I'm working on a TRM chip, I'll physically advance my timing on both cams by around 5 degrees and upgrade the e36 muffler. Retarding the exhaust cam 12 degrees lost me around 16hp across the board, so those changes should come close to netting me 250.
                      Attached Files

Comment

must be nice lol
                        I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
                        2875-C Towerview Road
                        Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

Attached is the plot of two runs, the first without any electronic magic, no DISA, no variable anything. All motor. Kinda weak down low but it does fine for peak power.

The second plot has variable intake timing and DISA. Intake peaks at +20 degrees advance at 2000 rpm and then slowly tapers down to nothing by 5700 rpm. Torque continues to build to a peak at 3300 rpm where the DISA switches to the short runners and then drops and never really recovers. Max difference is an additional 40 ft-lbs and 25 hp at 3300 rpm!

I can be a little more aggressive on intake advance, probably holding it to max until 3500 before reducing it. DISA also works extremely well and I will hold that in resonance until 4000 rpm from now on. I'm amazed at how much it drops when it switches. I can't explain the difference in peak power between the two, because the cams and DISA are the same after around 5500 rpm,

Max wheel horsepower of 190 here equates pretty well to M54 rated power of 225-230hp at 5900 rpm. I'm working on a TRM chip, I'll physically advance my timing on both cams by around 5 degrees and upgrade the e36 muffler. Retarding the exhaust cam 12 degrees lost me around 16hp across the board, so those changes should come close to netting me 250.
                          got a plot of a stock M54 with stock electronics for comparison?
                          Last edited by digger; 04-10-2009, 06:43 PM.
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                            got a plot of a stock M54 with stock electronics for comparison?
                            Good point.. here's a stock 330 with ZHP cams which is supposed to have at least 10 more HP. Both on Dynojets so it's a good comparison. Some interesting parallels going on... looks like I have better low end torque.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Really nice job!
                              What was the change in A/F when you variate the Vanos?

Good point.. here's a stock 330 with ZHP cams which is supposed to have at least 10 more HP. Both on Dynojets so it's a good comparison. Some interesting parallels going on... looks like I have better low end torque.

Comment

.....I can't explain the difference in peak power between the two, because the cams and DISA are the same after around 5500 rpm....
                                Was you intake air temperature changed?
                                When we making a dyno measurement after several runs the intake air warm up that much we lost 5-7% power. Try to put a pipe to the intake air to keep in constant temperature.

Comment

Working...
                                X