Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Allrad E30

I thought some of you may appreciate this one:

The year was 1980 and it dawned a new day in automobile advancement. The previous decade was ruled by muscle cars with Holley carburetors, leaf springs and backfiring V-8′s. But by the late seventies big blocks and Hemi’s were past their prime. Emissions restrictions in the United States limited fuel consumption and forced automakers to trim fat from the lumbering behemoths. Fuel Injection pumped new life into the decade while dual weber carburetors coughed and choked. Some manufacturers were fiddling with forced induction, power windows and independent rear suspension, unaware that they were on the brink of a new age. Manufacturers realized removing weight would solve the emission problems, thus was born, the compact car.
    See Full article here:
    http://www.Drive4Corners.com

Cool, I like the part explosion pic. I have two of those three of these lol.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
    Rear Diff Rebuild
    Rebuildable Viscous Coupling
    Transfer Case Rebuild
    "Life is simpler with 12 valves"

Comment

Nice write up Ted.

Good to see all that info in one place.

Comment

Very cool article! Well written. Love all the facts in one place and the photos are damn cool as well.

Really makes me feel like I have a special kind of E30. Not your run of the mill E30. Good stuff.
        clutchCTRL!
        Move with a purpose.
        - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
        - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
        - 2000 323i AT
        2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

nice article. I cringed a little when I clicked because there has been so much mis-information over the years, but it was really good.

I'm assuming downforce22 will see this thread so I have a few minor corrections. :)

The silicone becomes very viscous as soon as it is heated by friction and shear caused by differences between the motion of the plates.
          This isn't quite correct. Heat does not cause the locking action. the increase in viscosity via shear is a basic physical property of the silicone oil. that is the only thing that causes it to lock. heat is just a byproduct. Think corn starch and water, same idea.

Production continued until 1991 when e30 production ended. Actual production numbers are up for debate, but about 35,000 325iX’s were produced, or less that 2% of all e30 production.
          it's not really up for debate. I have actual production figures. I should send him the document, it's quite interesting.

there were 43,560 produced. Also, they were made until December 1992 - BMW built a lot of tourings! as I posted before, 6,346 were sent to North America (including Canada). Still not that many when there were about 2 million E30s produced. :(

what's part 2 going be about? :)
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            nice article. I cringed a little when I clicked because there has been so much mis-information over the years, but it was really good.

I'm assuming downforce22 will see this thread so I have a few minor corrections. :)

This isn't quite correct. Heat does not cause the locking action. the increase in viscosity via shear is a basic physical property of the silicone oil. that is the only thing that causes it to lock. heat is just a byproduct. Think corn starch and water, same idea.

it's not really up for debate. I have actual production figures. I should send him the document, it's quite interesting.

there were 43,560 produced. Also, they were made until December 1992 - BMW built a lot of tourings! as I posted before, 6,346 were sent to North America (including Canada). Still not that many when there were about 2 million E30s produced. :(

what's part 2 going be about? :)
            Thanks for the feedback nando! I will update to reflect the correct information.

Production numbers would be awesome to back this up; I have found an article on the electric 325iX and wonder if it is included in those production numbers.

Since I didn't know of the early model iX's until I stumbled upon them, I was planning to detail the differences between the US and euro models and going to include pictures and special models like the baur and alpina iX's. Possibly even some gopro footage from this weekend's Ice Gymkhana on georgetown lake that Gordon Haines references in the iX registry from 2-3 iX's that will be there.

Nando, it would be great to get an article of your experiences with the iX on the track and that footage of you with the porsche 911s in the rain. Maybe driving characteristics compared to the rwd models. I still have not tracked/autocrossed mine. Let me know if you'd be interested in writing something like that could bring some more insight to 'iXperiences' from real iX drivers.
            318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
            '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

good read!

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                Thanks for the feedback nando! I will update to reflect the correct information.

Production numbers would be awesome to back this up; I have found an article on the electric 325iX and wonder if it is included in those production numbers.

Since I didn't know of the early model iX's until I stumbled upon them, I was planning to detail the differences between the US and euro models and going to include pictures and special models like the baur and alpina iX's. Possibly even some gopro footage from this weekend's Ice Gymkhana on georgetown lake that Gordon Haines references in the iX registry from 2-3 iX's that will be there.

Nando, it would be great to get an article of your experiences with the iX on the track and that footage of you with the porsche 911s in the rain. Maybe driving characteristics compared to the rwd models. I still have not tracked/autocrossed mine. Let me know if you'd be interested in writing something like that could bring some more insight to 'iXperiences' from real iX drivers.
                possibly. Autocross may be a better subject, I've only done 3-4 HPDEs, but hundreds and hundreds of autox runs. lots in the rain, and even once in the snow. :)

maybe you could get Satch Carlson's attention. he's got a turbo ix built by Dinan that he uses for tarmac rallies. cool guy too.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

possibly. Autocross may be a better subject, I've only done 3-4 HPDEs, but hundreds and hundreds of autox runs. lots in the rain, and even once in the snow. :)

maybe you could get Satch Carlson's attention. he's got a turbo ix built by Dinan that he uses for tarmac rallies. cool guy too.
                  I have heard of Satch's car, the 'Bad Dog'. I also know he writes for Roundel so it may be hard to get him to write something up for a smaller local meet.

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Allrad E30 Part II is now online:

All in all, only 6,346 iX’s were sold in North America, but some of the earlier European models have made it across the pond. Below will detail some of the minute differences between the two models and a few other special models. Most people did not realize an all wheel drive model BMW existed in the late eighties and even fewer still realized there was an early model and a late model 325iX. The US iX’s were only late models and employed Bosch Motronic 1.3 fuel injection with a 55 pin ecu, 8.8:1 compression ratio, and an oxygen sensor to control emissions. The ‘euro’, or early model, iX was only offered in Europe and Japan was powered by a 35 pin Bosch Motronic 1.0 ecu, usually used on the 325e (‘e’ denoting the greek letter eta translating to efficiency) model.
                    Full story and videos:

http://www.Drive4Corners.com

Comment

cool pics. I really liked the ix baurs and the fire department ix-touring. that would be super cool to own!

technically, 4 doors came to NA in 1988 but only in Canada. :p
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

cool pics. I really liked the ix baurs and the fire department ix-touring. that would be super cool to own!

technically, 4 doors came to NA in 1988 but only in Canada. :p
                        Glad you liked the pictures, I looked around a bunch to try to find good ones.

I have contemplated the idea of turning my iX into a Baur ;D

Not sure I could do it though.

Comment

Ted, nice job! Your bro Tom pointed me to it. Well done!
                          My Allrad Blog

Comment

Working...
                          X