17x10 Square Flared, S52 Swapped Track Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17x10 Square Flared, S52 Swapped Track Build

A bit of backstory: On 4/12/2012 I found a 1997 BMW M3 on craigslist with 200k miles and both rear shock towers rotted through for $2000. And thus began the idea for this thread. Being more familiar with e36's than e30s I snatched the car up immediately knowing that the engine/trans alone were worth the asking price of the car. I purchased the car intending to do a swap into my daily e36 however events conspired and that never happened.

I wound up selling off everything from the m3 and turned a tidy profit. Just after I had finished parting out the m3 I picked up my first e30. I'd always been intrigued by the idea of m3 power in a lighter, better looking (IMO) chassis. After seeing how easily an m3 could be parted out I decided to again start hunting for a cheap m3. A couple months later I found one.
    a 1995 S50 atx m3 which I scored for $2200!
    however I had done what this emoticon said and sold my e30. I decided that didn't matter, I'd part out the m3 saving the drivetrain and parts I knew I'd need for the swap while parting out the rest of the car and looking for the perfect e30 chassis. As fate would have it I got nearly to the end of parting out the m3 and was contacted by a forum member asking if I'd consider trading the m3 shell (what was left of it) for his e30 roller. The e30 was already gutted, had been 24v swapped previously and so would come with the needed harness adapter, oil pan etc. and sat on GC coilovers. I agreed without much consideration and a few days later this left my driveway:

and was replaced by this:

Since the S50 motor was smoking a little on start up and e36 engines are known for their cooling issues it seemed that a headgasket check was going to be needed. as a bonus it'd let me replace all needed bits and start with a fresh engine. a bit of dis-assembly and this was what I discovered:

since school was starting back up and winter was fast approaching it became evident that the car wasn't going to be running before snow flew as I intended, I found some temporary rollers and shoved the car out of the way to work on as time allowed over the school year.

Along the way (as most long term projects seem to go) I got a bit distracted, got engaged in the mountains, bought a miata, and went to SoWo.
    SoWo made me realize how much I missed being in a German car, the friends, the culture and the events, so with a renewed vigor I decided to throw some parts at the e30.

at this point I now had everything to make a running car.........except for a re-assembled and ready to run motor. While contemplating how to finish the S50 motor in the best balance of economical and performancical I stumbled across a seemingly better donor m3 for another screaming deal of a price, except this one didnt smoke when cold and showed great compression across all 6 cylinders, best of all it was a newer OBD2 S52 car with the bigger 3.2l motor!

win/win, and I'd had such great success parting out the last 2 m3's that I felt comfortable picking up another, on the way home from picking it up is the 1997 BMW m3 S52:

and the most important (to me) part
    Last edited by klodkrawler05; 04-23-2014, 08:06 AM.
    -Brad
    My E30: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...50#post3916850

With a running S52 and all the pieces from the previous S50 I was able to piece together a 3.2l OBD1 drivetrain.

My goal this spring was to get the e30 swapped and up and running before a local show called EuroHangar.

with a TON of help from my fiances brother and Paul and Henry we managed to spend a Friday Evening and Saturday Afternoon getting the donor motor out, and all the pieces/parts in one location.

Couldn't pull the motor unless it did a burnout...

A big goal of the swap for me was keeping the car as reliable as possible while adding as much performance as I could to a basically stock engine.

the well known fan delete looks better, saves rotating mass and removes the grenade from the front of the engine:
    Before:

After:

After that was accomplished Deleting the A/C and Powersteering offered up even less rotating drag and saved some more weight off the nose of the car:

and as an added bonus it really cleans up the belt routing:

A look at the crap thats no longer mounted to the front of the engine:

moving along a quick comparison of the OBD2 (smaller ports) manifold vs the OBD1 (larger ports) manifold I swapped to. should help it breathe a bit better!

-Brad

Comment

Then we made some more progress! Got the oil pan mounted up, lightweight flywheel/stage 3 clutch and oem SACHs pressure plate installed, got the motor into the car, got the cooling lines hooked up, started working on the wiring (there were quite a few sensors that need to be swapped over due to converting this OBD2 motor to OBD1)

and then at the end of the day I decided to set the manifold on the engine just to keep crud out of the motor and give me a bit of inspiration when I got back down to the garage.

e36's are somewhat known for their catastrophic oil pump/pickup failures and a slow to inform oil pressure dummy light, Thankfully a friend had a oil psi gauge laying around he was willing to part with cheap. I drilled and tapped a couple of the vanos banjo bolts for a 1/8-27 NPT thread so I can remote mount the oil pressure sender to the chassis of the car and save it from vibration. as opposed to mounting the sender directly on the motor:

The night before Eurohangar the car was nearing completion however, I wasn't able to get it done in time. we had the car all put together and ready to fire up at about midnight friday night, there was a slight issue with the power distribution block which stumped us for a couple minutes but after that the car turned over like a champ, from there we discovered that the car wasn't getting fuel. working our way from the engine back to the gas tank revealed a gaping hole where the fuel pump should've been. DOH!

apparently the previous owner was running an aeromotive 340 stealth fuel pump and forgot to mention that he hadn't put the stock one back in before we traded shells, not the end of the world but still disheartening to get so close and be stopped by something so simple.

Ready for Euro hangar but not able to go

At eurohangar I picked up some new wheels for the car for daily use so that I could save/sell the 2-piece wedsports that are on the car for track use.

15x8.5 Klutch SL1 wheels:

Later that evening By some stroke of luck it occured to me to check on craigslist for e30 part outs, I found one and after agreeing to come pick up just a fuel pump for $30 I wound up walking away with fuel pump, a pair of doors (mine are fine I just wanted the interior panels) a pair of rear door panels and a parcel shelf for the same $30 from e30 wagen.
      -Brad

Comment

Looks nice man! shame on the 4 door M3, I have a soft spot for them.
        ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
        ~ '87 535
        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

From there I spent a couple months getting married, double checking wiring, throwing new sensors at it, and various other troubleshooting as prescribed by the e30 forums with no luck getting it to start.

A friend who worked at a local shop offered to tinker with it during less busy times if I could tow it out to his shop, seemed like a good idea to me so off to Lakeside auto it went!

Without a whole ton of effort he discovered that while I had fuel what I lacked was fuel pressure, the $30 fuel pump I got was the low pressure transfer pump not the high pressure main pump!

I wound up with a Holley 12700 fuel pump, its a bit overkill for the current stock power levels but down the road I might want to upgrade so I figured spend once spend right.

I got the Klutch wheels on and it was finally time to take it for the first drive!

The car seemed to run beautifully! I still had to sort out an exhaust, mount the passenger Recaro and put the hood on but finally after 1.5 years of working towards this goal I was able to drive my 24v swapped e30!

a few random pictures from this past weekend using any/every excuse I could to drive the car somewhere:

Dirty, no exhaust, but all mine!

And so thats where I'm at today! my spreadsheet of costs for everything including labor while at the shop puts me at $3686.41 The car is a lot of fun, this weekend is its first/last autocross of the year before winter hibernation, but I hope to have some more fun updates over the winter! afterall, I've still got almost $250 to play with before its a true $4000 car :pimp:
          -Brad

Comment

I apologize for the huge pictures I'll work on resizing those!
            -Brad

Comment

Lol on wearing earing muffs. Car looks good though

Comment

Nice build and great job doing it on such a low budget! I still can't believe you got 2 E36 M3s for so cheap!

I also love the earmuffs while driving, classic.

Comment

Impressive work! Also jelly you've found multiple e36 m3's for that cheap. People around here want 5-6k for wrecked ones.
                  88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
                  We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Sweet. Great job on a budget
                    98 M3/4/5

Comment

I can only imagine the noise being made that would cause you to have to wear those ear muffs. LOL. Awesome build. Cool story to go with it.
                      91 318is M50 swapped
                      05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Nice work.

-
                        Project
                        Parts for Sale
                        Feedback
                        YouTube Channel

Comment

Well I swapped a new LSD in last week just in time for the final auto-x of the season! A large majority of the noise is gone and the car is liveable on the street without muffs!

Heres a few photos and some video from me and my co-driver, we were about 10 seconds off a nationally competitive STi but thats to be somewhat expected on 225 Kumho AST's in a class with Hoosier shod cars!

Hopefully some 275 a6's, a stiffer front sway bar and upping the spring rates plus more seat time will close that gap!

Me:

My Co-Driver:
                          -Brad

Comment

Man that looks like fun!
                            98 M3/4/5

Comment

I've been waiting for the snow to subside and racing season to resume! so to keep myself busy in the off season why not some more mods?

Up first some exhaust work:

Raceland headers in volcanic wrap (half done to show before and after):

Installed: the fit was pretty good and required none of the usual bashing of headers/subframes that I've seen mentioned on the forums.

Welding is one of my bucket list items but in the meantime I still have to rely on others, I took it to one of Michigan's best (IMO) fabricators:

He works pretty fast, the stock raceland flanges were cut off and replaced with v-bands, then a custom merge pipe was fabricated to v-band to the 3" single midsection, which runs back to the 3" single tail section designed to be swappable between a street and race setup:

The street version all finished up:

The race version all finished up:

Audio of the race version:

The midsection muffler is a magnaflow and the rear muffler on the street version is a flowmaster chambered muffler.
                              -Brad

Comment

Working...
                              X