No announcement yet.

Do we have an MTech 1 Thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are on the right track. The other difference between the caps that has not been previously documented here is that the the portion of rubber between the tongue that goes into the end of the rubber bumper strip and the tab that mounts to the bumper is grooved on the mtech-1 cap to allow the valance to ride in the groove. It is a subtle difference that i did not notice when i posted the original cap mod DIY in the other thread a few years ago. As you have, we realized it during assembly and made the mod at that time. I can not put my hands on an uninstalled mtech cap at the moment, but i will look for a photo that shows the groove and post it up.
    Last edited by DJMCGARM3; 05-26-2016, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Here is the only photo that I have that shows the groove on the MT1 cap.

I also just updated the 2014 thread with this info for anyone who links back to it from this thread in the future.

Specifically, Post #28 on the thread in this link:

Last edited by DJMCGARM3; 05-26-2016, 09:27 AM. Reason: updated info & link to correction

Comment

Good info posted Djmcgarm3
        sigpic
        323i MTEC1
        Z3 coupe
        E60 M5

Comment

Ok, i think i see now, it looks like you removed material like the yellow hatched area in this pic? Maybe not quite as far in, and maybe closer to the tab though.

Comment

Great info ..
            As posted earlier in the thread, vert rear bumper end caps are different. I'll post detailed pics of my mt1 install once I get the parts refinished.
            I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
            TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
            e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Went to check my end caps and looks I did keep the Mtec ones. Numbers end with 711 and 712.

sigpic
              323i MTEC1
              Z3 coupe
              E60 M5

Comment

NICE - never seen pics of the mtech1 end caps uninstalled!
                711 and 712 are definitely mtech1 rear end caps

Thanks for posting the pics!!!!!

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Anyone done their headliner in their car. I order Catune's blk headliner last night to go with my MTec theme inside.
                  sigpic
                  323i MTEC1
                  Z3 coupe
                  E60 M5

Comment

Yes, many times.
                    what do you need to know?
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

If you have bought items from me, please leave feedback below.
                    If you are a BUYER, Check My Feedback.:up:
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=183860

Check out my Euro Build Thread
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=215557

Comment

Just looking for basic tips on what I need to know before I start. For a example The foam pads on the back pillar do they need to redone. Mine are pretty much disintegrated from 31 yrs of use. Also, Is the headliner only glued by the window edges and the rest kind of hangs in the air ?

Thanks,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by Old city bimmer; 06-02-2016, 02:12 AM.
                      sigpic
                      323i MTEC1
                      Z3 coupe
                      E60 M5

Comment

Originally posted by Old city bimmer View Post
                        Just looking for basic tips on what I need to know before I start. For example The foam pads on the back pillar do they need to redone. Mine are pretty much disintegrated from 31 yrs of use. Is the headliner only glued by the window edges and the rest kind of hangs in the air ?

Thanks,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        I would definitely replace any worn or damaged foam, especially around the c pillar as that's a large area for the headliner fabric to cover and keep shape.
                        The roof is kept in place by 2 shaped metal rods that hook in place either side above side windows.
                        The rear one is a bit of a trial, as it looks short and may keep falling, but it needs to be twistedto the roof line.
                        Also if you are having the headiner made, make sure you have it sewn so that the fabric stretches side to side.
                        And finally, all edges are glued by contact adhesive along the sunroof edge, rear window, and sides, glue it, let it go tacky, then strtch it and hold in place by little clips, or clothes pegs.
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

If you have bought items from me, please leave feedback below.
                        If you are a BUYER, Check My Feedback.:up:
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=183860

Check out my Euro Build Thread
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=215557

Comment

Originally posted by Old city bimmer View Post
                          E30zone.net also search for BMW e30 325i sport. That's what they called them in Europe
                          right on - good 325i Sport info

and you're right - Mtech1s in Germany were only available 86-87, Delphin, Lachsilber or Diamondschwartz. Also looks like the bumpers were painted on those, and you could have houndstooth cloth or leather. Cool they had billies and 15mm lower springs plus the LSD too.

Interesting that the German MT1 brochure shows a technician mounting a red+chrome bumper front apron though. They're talking about a retrofit kit of course.

Live and learn!

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

I have a couple questions for those who have installed the Mtech kits.

Skirts - how did you establish the locations for drilling? Did you make a template? How did you determine the correct distance up the rocker? I was thinking of making a template from the hole locations on the skirt, put a dab of grease in the front and rear mount locations on the skirt and place on the car to establish the distance vertically on the rocker then use the template to position the rest of the holes.

How did you attach the ends of the skirts? The realoem diagrams show a mount that gets added to the fender but these are nla. Did you attach to the fender lip? Did you use screws or the plastic rivets?

Rear valance - I have the valance that has the exhaust cutout more to the center than the one which is closer to the corner of the valance. Will a muffler with straight tips line up here (like the Stromung)? Or do the muffler tips need to be somewhat angled to the corner of the car?

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to get my kit repair work completed and the kit test fitted this weekend so I can it get out for paint next week.
                            sigpic
                            84 323i

Comment

For the side skirts I did a template out of cardboard. As for the fenders connection I actually have those NLA clips. So not sure what other method besides just using a screw or rivets. I would suggest priming the holes you drill for rust prevention and seal them with seam sealer once you place the plastic holder in there. As for fitment look at my photo below.
                              sigpic
                              323i MTEC1
                              Z3 coupe
                              E60 M5

Comment

Thanks OC Bimmer. Do you have pictures of the NLA clips?

What have others done to mount the ends of the skirts?
                                sigpic
                                84 323i

Comment

Working...
                                X