Footwell Lighting: Too Boy Racer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is what I did:

Opening the door: Lights in the footwells along with underneath the armrest turn on.

Cruising down the road, the lights dim with the speedo and tact:

Here is a link to the LEDs that I used:

2 of each color (red & white) in each footwell & 1 of each for the armrest:
    Super Bright and Ultra Slim Pre-Wired Surface Mount 12V LED, 100% waterproof and come with a built-in resistor and a couple of feet of wire.

Added a dimmer since the red LEDs were too bright, now I can choose:
    Universal single color mini LED dimmer can dim any 5~24V DC LED product from 10%-100% using Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) circuit push button control from stepped intensity adjustment. 5 dynamic flashing modes with adjustable speeds. Maximum load is 5 Amps - holding Speed/Bright button turns LEDs ON/OFF. Retains last setting when power is cycled. Attached 4" power input and controller output wire leads. Suitable for vehicles
    Last edited by Mad Chemist; 12-05-2012, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Can you share how you wired this up? I'm assuming:

1) Tapped the white LEDs into the cabin lights. Is there somewhere up front to tap these or did you have to run the wires through the dash / A Pillars and over the doors?
      2) Tapped the red LEDs into the circuit for the cluster? This would be the combo head lights / cluster brightness dimmer on the left of the steering wheel?

Also, how did you mount the LEDs? Mine are just zip-tied to the center console but I really want to find an elegant solution that's not too invasive.

Looks great man!

Comment

My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by IAmGary View Post
          Can you share how you wired this up? I'm assuming:

1) Tapped the white LEDs into the cabin lights. Is there somewhere up front to tap these or did you have to run the wires through the dash / A Pillars and over the doors?
          2) Tapped the red LEDs into the circuit for the cluster? This would be the combo head lights / cluster brightness dimmer on the left of the steering wheel?

Also, how did you mount the LEDs? Mine are just zip-tied to the center console but I really want to find an elegant solution that's not too invasive.

Looks great man!
          For the white lights: I tapped into the dome light. Just to be up front, I have a cabrio. I connected two wires to the dome light. There should be three wires to the dome light, two grounds (off all the time, off when the doors are shut), the third wire is the positive. Connect your positive to the positive. Now you have to figure out which ground is connected to the door, just switch the toggle to when the door operates the light. Once that is done, run the wires to a central point so you can bring the wires from each footwell and connect the footwell leads and armrest (optional) in parallel (aka all reds together, all blacks together).

For the red lights: If you tap into the ashtray lights, they will dim with speedo/tact lights. The reason I ran two leds per footwell was to ensure that the light was evenly scattered which resulted in them being very bright. That is when I bought a simple dimmer that I hid behind the front ashtray for easy access, just pull out the ashtray and modify.

In terms of mounting, the LEDs that I bought had sticky tape on the backs which made mounting really easy. If you already have the leds, I would just buy some sticky tape to secure them. The wires I just used the zip ties to secure.

If you want more pictures, just let me know. Or I can write up a DIY when I have a chance.

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the dome light, I didn't consider that it has 3 wires. My set up is similar except for the white LEDs -- but I think I am going to do that, it's an excellent idea! To affix the LEDs I didn't use sticky tape because I've taken my interior apart 5-6 times in the last year and didn't want anything permanent.

My zip-tie solution looks like this:

Comment

neato. looks great man
              -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
              -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
              MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
              Got Drop?? ;-)
              Originally posted by JinormusJ
              But of course
              E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Would be better to splice them into the headlight switch. That way you can dim them just like the cluster lights

Comment

Originally posted by blackhawkimpact View Post
                  Would be better to splice them into the headlight switch. That way you can dim them just like the cluster lights
                  You could do that. The ashtray light is connected with the dimmer switch for the headlights, so by tapping into the ashtray light you can dim the footwells/armrest with the dimmer for the headlights.

Comment

Has anyone else done footwell lighting?

Comment

Yes, I did in my convertible since they have such poor interior lighting. I used white LED strips I got off ebay for $4 each. I tapped into the factory light timer so they turn on with the doors open and turn off a few seconds after the doors are shut. I didn't see a need to do this to my M3's but in the vert it makes a big difference.

It's a good mod and cheap too.
                      Last edited by reelizmpro; 03-24-2014, 10:50 PM.
                      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I like it. I have done this to other cars I've had and will do it to the one I have now.
                        sigpichttp://www.germanaudiospecialties.com/

1986 325es :early:

Comment

LEDs from superbrightleds.com.
                          I've bough from them. Total junk on some of their stuff. It's worse then ebay....A few parts were decent. Others were so inconsistent, the difference in brightness from led-to-led was astonishing.

Since no one here does long haul driving 8 hours a day in their e30, cheap LED's are ok. They are just on for a small amount of time.So you can get away with ebay leds. Just don't buy from superbrightleds.

I won't use anything they sell except for the OCB 6-button back light bulb. That's one is good I must say.
                          Originally posted by Matt-B
                          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                          X