Footwell Lighting: Too Boy Racer?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • george graves
    replied
    LEDs from superbrightleds.com.
    I've bough from them. Total junk on some of their stuff. It's worse then ebay....A few parts were decent. Others were so inconsistent, the difference in brightness from led-to-led was astonishing.

    Since no one here does long haul driving 8 hours a day in their e30, cheap LED's are ok. They are just on for a small amount of time.So you can get away with ebay leds. Just don't buy from superbrightleds.

    I won't use anything they sell except for the OCB 6-button back light bulb. That's one is good I must say.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dakotademon7
    replied
    I like it. I have done this to other cars I've had and will do it to the one I have now.

    Leave a comment:


  • reelizmpro
    replied
    Yes, I did in my convertible since they have such poor interior lighting. I used white LED strips I got off ebay for $4 each. I tapped into the factory light timer so they turn on with the doors open and turn off a few seconds after the doors are shut. I didn't see a need to do this to my M3's but in the vert it makes a big difference.



    It's a good mod and cheap too.
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 03-24-2014, 09:50 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Victell
    replied
    Has anyone else done footwell lighting?

    Leave a comment:


  • Mad Chemist
    replied
    Originally posted by blackhawkimpact
    Would be better to splice them into the headlight switch. That way you can dim them just like the cluster lights
    You could do that. The ashtray light is connected with the dimmer switch for the headlights, so by tapping into the ashtray light you can dim the footwells/armrest with the dimmer for the headlights.

    Leave a comment:


  • blackhawkimpact
    replied
    Would be better to splice them into the headlight switch. That way you can dim them just like the cluster lights

    Leave a comment:


  • CHIF8008
    replied
    neato. looks great man

    Leave a comment:


  • IAmGary
    replied
    Thanks for the tip on the dome light, I didn't consider that it has 3 wires. My set up is similar except for the white LEDs -- but I think I am going to do that, it's an excellent idea! To affix the LEDs I didn't use sticky tape because I've taken my interior apart 5-6 times in the last year and didn't want anything permanent.

    My zip-tie solution looks like this:


    Leave a comment:


  • Mad Chemist
    replied
    Originally posted by IAmGary
    Can you share how you wired this up? I'm assuming:

    1) Tapped the white LEDs into the cabin lights. Is there somewhere up front to tap these or did you have to run the wires through the dash / A Pillars and over the doors?
    2) Tapped the red LEDs into the circuit for the cluster? This would be the combo head lights / cluster brightness dimmer on the left of the steering wheel?

    Also, how did you mount the LEDs? Mine are just zip-tied to the center console but I really want to find an elegant solution that's not too invasive.

    Looks great man!
    For the white lights: I tapped into the dome light. Just to be up front, I have a cabrio. I connected two wires to the dome light. There should be three wires to the dome light, two grounds (off all the time, off when the doors are shut), the third wire is the positive. Connect your positive to the positive. Now you have to figure out which ground is connected to the door, just switch the toggle to when the door operates the light. Once that is done, run the wires to a central point so you can bring the wires from each footwell and connect the footwell leads and armrest (optional) in parallel (aka all reds together, all blacks together).

    For the red lights: If you tap into the ashtray lights, they will dim with speedo/tact lights. The reason I ran two leds per footwell was to ensure that the light was evenly scattered which resulted in them being very bright. That is when I bought a simple dimmer that I hid behind the front ashtray for easy access, just pull out the ashtray and modify.

    In terms of mounting, the LEDs that I bought had sticky tape on the backs which made mounting really easy. If you already have the leds, I would just buy some sticky tape to secure them. The wires I just used the zip ties to secure.

    If you want more pictures, just let me know. Or I can write up a DIY when I have a chance.

    Leave a comment:


  • Eric
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • IAmGary
    replied
    Can you share how you wired this up? I'm assuming:

    1) Tapped the white LEDs into the cabin lights. Is there somewhere up front to tap these or did you have to run the wires through the dash / A Pillars and over the doors?
    2) Tapped the red LEDs into the circuit for the cluster? This would be the combo head lights / cluster brightness dimmer on the left of the steering wheel?

    Also, how did you mount the LEDs? Mine are just zip-tied to the center console but I really want to find an elegant solution that's not too invasive.

    Looks great man!

    Leave a comment:


  • Mad Chemist
    replied
    Here is what I did:

    Opening the door: Lights in the footwells along with underneath the armrest turn on.





    Cruising down the road, the lights dim with the speedo and tact:




    Here is a link to the LEDs that I used:

    2 of each color (red & white) in each footwell & 1 of each for the armrest:
    Super Bright and Ultra Slim Pre-Wired Surface Mount 12V LED, 100% waterproof and come with a built-in resistor and a couple of feet of wire.


    Added a dimmer since the red LEDs were too bright, now I can choose:
    Universal single color mini LED dimmer can dim any 12-24V DC LED product from 10%-100% using Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) circuit push button control from stepped intensity adjustment. 5 dynamic flashing modes with adjustable speeds. Maximum load is 5 Amps - holding Speed/Bright button turns LEDs ON/OFF. Retains last setting when power is cycled. Attached 4" power input and controller output wire leads. Suitable for vehicles
    Last edited by Mad Chemist; 12-05-2012, 04:04 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • M-technik-3
    replied
    Way I look at it is that it's your car do as you wish because we have different opinions on what's brash and gaudy.

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_325i
    replied
    Connecting LED's from the door switch in parallel (hope that is the correct terminology) works, but will disable the functionality of being able to close the sunroof with that door open without keys in the ignition (if you US guys have that feature).

    Leave a comment:


  • nomansland92
    replied
    correct me if I'm wrong but from what I'm getting is that you want your lights to turn on with 12v when opening the door from the sill lights but when the door is closed have them on the interior lights witch is dimmed.

    Would be very cool but I'm thinking when you open your door that 12 volts will back feed to your interior lights. probably could work you use us diodes on each circuit.

    Just something to think about.

    Leave a comment:

Working...