IX Steering knuckle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IX Steering knuckle

Searching only brought me threads about removing the steering rack. Can I replace the knuckle/u joint without dropping the subframe/steering rack?
    AWD > RWD

yes of course. you have to loosen the steering shaft at both ends, and remove the 2 bolts on the steering knuckle (don't just loosen them). The steering shaft will push up into the car and then you can remove the knuckle.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks. Next question: on a scale from 1 to fubar how bad is my strut mount?

The metal part is canted 45 degrees, but it still spun freely on top of the strut mount. I'm going to replace it anyway, but I just wanted to know if it's actually bad. Off the car it's solid, I can't move it around or back to it's original place or anything.

Also, I'm assuming I should replace my strut mounts in pairs?
      AWD > RWD

Comment

it's common for the rubber to separate from the steel insert slightly and it will shift. if you ever watched it while you put weight on the car, that rubber insert actually deflects quite a bit - it's sort of like an additional spring. I don't think that one is necessarily shot, but it's definitely time to consider replacement.

I would do them in pairs, yes, due to the spring effect I mentioned above. a newer mount will be stiffer.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

OK, thanks.
          AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
          X