Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better lighting with sealed beam convex lens look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better lighting with sealed beam convex lens look?

Are there any better headlight options that have the sealed beam convex lens look? Everywhere I search is either those cheap clear lens or the flat lens that Hella and the smiley ellipsoids have.
    sigpic
    327is
    325es
    325es
    318is
    Fiesta ST
    E46 M3

No, not really. I mean, all the Cibie/Hella plug-and-play lenses are going to be flat as well as far as I know, and it's because a flat lens is just better at its job. Is it an aesthetic thing?
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

^ Yes, it is aesthetic thing. I have had hella, I can't get over it. dont know why.
      sigpic
      327is
      325es
      325es
      318is
      Fiesta ST
      E46 M3

Comment

Maybe someone else can chime in, but I'm not aware of any better convex alternatives.
        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

I had the Hella H4's alongside sealed beam highs and you do notice, but honestly the 35w sealed beam lows aren't safe at all so I got over it pretty quickly. Now all four are Hella conversions so they match again.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Hella h4s with hids. But you'd blind everyone else on the road.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

Buy an E36 if you don't like smileys. lol

Comment

I think a Cibie 5 3/4" light has a convex lens.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cibie.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	7176058

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                  Hella h4s with hids. But you'd blind everyone else on the road.
                  actually using a 35w with proper sheilding, like one of the legit sheilds by Casper Electronics, and considering since Hella H4's are E-codes..... maybe not. I have no experience with this, and I know what usually happens with hids in a reflector... but I want to try this setup someday just to see.

--Mike
                  (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                    I think a Cibie 5 3/4" light has a convex lens.

[ATTACH]95662[/ATTACH]
                    thanks! I looked into that and they're quite expensive.

I am thinking about getting a reflector and use a sealed beam lens. Beam pattern will just suck but at least it will be brighter.
                    sigpic
                    327is
                    325es
                    325es
                    318is
                    Fiesta ST
                    E46 M3

Comment

I jumped sealed beam low and high beam together, and discounted the high beam lead from the 3-prong connector. Both filament is on so I am getting 70W and aimed it lower. I think I am happy now.
                      sigpic
                      327is
                      325es
                      325es
                      318is
                      Fiesta ST
                      E46 M3

Comment

I know this is reviving an old thread but, I too am searching for a replacement lens for the sealed beams that allows me to use replaceable H1/H4 bulbs and still retains the OEM look convex lens.

Autopal makes a convex lens 5 3/4" "E" code H1/H4 sealed beam replacement . These are a similar design to the Hella, Bosch and NLA Cibie lights. The light has a metal reflector and glass lens, though I have heard that the glass is thinner than that on the Hella and are made in India. I am running the flat version on my M6 and couldn't be happier.

These lights will fitALL vehicles with5 3/4" round High Beam Sealed Beam Headlights. These headlights featureCONVEX (curved) Glass Lens which provides original looks of sealed beams. -Replaceable H1 bulb that can be easily and economically replaced.
                        Attached Files
                        1986 E30 325E
                        1989 E30 325iX
                        2003 E54 X5.
                        1993 Mercedes W124 300E
                        1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
                        2009 VW Touareg
                        2007 Porsche Cayman S

Comment

Working...
                        X