Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be the ultimate Headlight Setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can buy hella H4's with a city light but they're like $20 more expensive each and it doesn't look as good as the city light you get with smileys.

I had H4's and bought depo smileys with the intent to change the projector and retrofit HID's because I wanted to be as bright as a new car. It's on hold right now as I feel LED low beams are just around the corner

Side note those UUC LEDs are way ugly

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Bosch euros with squared motor works adapters to morimoto mini h1 bixenon with 4.3-5k hids. Some bright like nightbreaker h1 halogen bulbs in the highbeams. Wired to run both bixenon and the inner highs at the same time for quad high.

I have the above set up with unknown highbeam bulbs and its brighter than my e46 by a bunch! I also have hid fogs too. All on at the same time, it's bright. I have better description in my build thread
      -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
      08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
      318iS, slow build/garage queen...
      '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
      Originally posted by roguetoaster
      Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Wolfe View Post
        Do you have to build those or does someone offer them? Any more pictures?

<edit> They look a little "odd" in this picture.

Mr. Wolfe
        Search for JW Speaker 6130. Our headlights are a standard size though, 5 3/4". The motorcycle industry is actually really bringing down the cost on LED circular headlights. There are tons of options nowadays for about $100/light. So figure about $400 total. I have a pair of sealed beams that I will eventually retrofit with motorcycle headlights.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

I have the Hella H4/H1 retrofitted to my car, worlds better than any sealed beam or US ellipsoid I've ever had.
          My feedback:
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=186328

http://e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74911

Instagram:
          @gears_n_glory

@functionmotorsports

Comment

No one has mention using Cibies as a retro fit into the stock US sealed beams or is this just an expensive H1/H4 retrofit?
            sigpic
            1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
            I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

From what I remember, cibies are more expensive as the H4's are only 30-40 ea

Comment

Originally posted by bataangpinoy View Post
                http://classicgarage.com/53hehekit.html

I have the Hella H4/H1 retrofitted to my car, worlds better than any sealed beam or US ellipsoid I've ever had.
                x2 I did this on my car and they're amazing. They don't light up road signs too well at night but otherwise they work very well. They're also ridiculously simple to install, and they make the car look brand new!

Comment

My friend and I discovered the other day (month, really) that some old-ish Jaguars have Hella H1 housings which are direct fit into the high beams of our cars. I don't know what years but the kind with four headlights and the hood that opens forward (like our cars do) and the two inner lights (high beams) are mounted to the hood. So like late 90's - early 2000's I'm guessing. Kind of a nice junk yard find

Comment

Bump.

Does anyone have a good setup for sale? Looking for a mint setup that is plenty bright. Please PM me. Thanks.

Mr. Wolfe
                    sigpic

Comment

what about cross hairs, what do those do, can i add those to smileys?
                      [1991, E-30 325i, 5-Speed, M20, Brillantrot] [1998, B5 Passat 1.8t] [2007, R6 Yamaha] [2011, Tundra 5.7]

Comment

Originally posted by TURBOX View Post
                        what about cross hairs, what do those do, can i add those to smileys?
                        All they do (when installed properly) is add a "smoked" look to the light. They have no effect on performance, although they have the potential to cause leaks and reduced performance if not installed correctly.
                        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Bump, still looking to buy a nice setup if someone is selling. Just PM me.

Mr. Wolfe
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                            1. HID. These can be retrofitted to any car with projector lights (ellipsoids) with varying degrees of success. The ballasts create a lot of heat and can damage wiring if improperly installed. The bulbs-which are not designed for the stock projector housings-can blind oncoming traffic. Light output can be very high, however.
                            It's all about the cut off, and how much light is leaking to the cut off area.

I have just run of the mill DMM Tuning HID's(not the best company honestly), and the cut off is as clean as it should be IMHO, so there is no blinding of oncoming traffic unless you don't aim them properly. My 2 cents.
                            Originally posted by Matt-B
                            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                            X