1Bad37: C5 meets '37 Chevy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1Bad37: C5 meets '37 Chevy...

This is my Project... It’s a 1937 Chevrolet 1/2 ton truck, with a 2001 Corvette engine, or LS1, a T56 6 speed trans, and 3.46 rear end. The frame was custom made by myself with help from my father over the last two years to suit the full Corvette independent suspension and disk brakes all the way around. The truck is supported by a set of fully adjustable coil overs. The wheels are stock 2001 wheels 18x9.5+56 rear, 17x8.5+56 with 255s on rear so they don’t rub on the already 2inch wider rear fenders. The front end is narrowed 6 inches. The Corvette trans is under the bed connected to the motor by a torque tube. The torque tube was custom extended 6.5 inches. The trans being in the back was the reason I made the bed tilt, so people could see the amount of time and effort that went into the truck.The Corvette’s electronics are all there, slimmed down by myself on cold winter nights. (PITA) The Security systems are all there, I just wired it in such a way that everything that wants to talk, does.
    First off some "picking it up pics!" This kid has NO IDEA what he just got himself into!!!

100_3673m by Der E30, on Flickr

100_3678m by Der E30, on Flickr

I remember being super excited the whole ride home! People were giving us thumbs up the whole way!

100_3682m by Der E30, on Flickr

These were two years ago in July ’11...

IMG_0560m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_0562m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_0630m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_0570m by Der E30, on Flickr

That was the first time the frame had seen real daylight!

Fast forward to last summer...

[/QUOTE]

[IMG]
    background by Der E30, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    IMG_1302m by Der E30, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_1329m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1342mm by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1298m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1306m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1347m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1367m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1360m by Der E30, on Flickr

Annnnd some pics of under the hood and bed...
    [IMG]
    IMG_4504 by Der E30, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_4515 by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_4521 by Der E30, on Flickr

[IMG]
    IMG_4527 by Der E30, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    IMG_4528 by Der E30, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_4532 by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1298m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1306m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1347m by Der E30, on Flickr

IPhone doesn’t pick up light too well but I made due, the real camera was home that day...

IMG_1543m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1536m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1537m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1540m by Der E30, on Flickr

Driver’s point of view when cruising...

IMG_1535m by Der E30, on Flickr

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/103961460@N03/10340124076/]

Driving out of hell!
    A few with my great grandpappy’s truck "the beast" he bought new... The beast is next in line to get worked on...

Last edited by DER E30; 05-29-2014, 11:08 PM.
    -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
    08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
    318iS, slow build/garage queen...
    '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
    Originally posted by roguetoaster
    Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Coolest thing I have seen in years!

Props to you on the build, I dream of doing this one day when I get time.
    Originally posted by codyep3
    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
    2010 F650gs twin
    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

That is an amazing truck. How the hell did you afford all of that?
      How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Thanks guys!

And to the reason I'm starting a build thread today and not earlier is I was swamped with skool (and working on my DD's little issues) all winter and basically got nothing done all winter is that I'm almost done with skool for the summer and I will be actually making some progress!!!:metal: I'll upload some pics of the parts I picked up last wee. Shaved door kit and some glass related parts... Today I dropped off my glass to get tinted. Pics when its back! Gotta have SOMETHING done before the Arlington Show and SHine on the 14th!
        As she sits currently...

New things I got, besides the power window motor.

Sound deadener I've been doing plus the mock up actuator spot.
        -Christian

Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

So jealous, that is one bad ass truck!

you should post up photos of the whole build when you have a chance. :)

Comment

Originally posted by kts View Post
            So jealous, that is one bad ass truck!

you should post up photos of the whole build when you have a chance. :)
            I will try maybe next week, but I have one more week or skool then finals week so I need to concentrate on that... I can really start working on putting it together and painting after that...
            -Christian

Comment

wow, I just stumbled over this thread. Amazing job you and your father did on that 37. Love to see some video of it running.
              Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Vedubin01 View Post
                wow, I just stumbled over this thread. Amazing job you and your father did on that 37. Love to see some video of it running.
                Thanks man!

Unfortunately nothing of consequence has happened with the truck in the last um, long time. Just sitting in the middle of the shop waiting for me to have time to work on it... And some desire to work on it! Lately I've looked at it and just shut off the shop lights and go back inside to do more fun things... Fall quarter ends on Dec 9, so maybe I'll have an update then-ish, but no promises.

Maybe I'll dig it out for a burnout vid...:rofl: That should get my juices going again
                -Christian

Comment

Updates?
                  Originally posted by codyep3
                  I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                  2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                  1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                  1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                  2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                  2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                  2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                  2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                  2010 F650gs twin
                  2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Not really, I have a few things in the works but I don't have much time to touch it with 3 classes @ school...
                    -Christian

Comment

Pics of taking it apart... Dang, didn't realize they were that dark...

Put some sound deadener stuff in over the summer, makes the doors not sound like tin!

Always ***** the way the mufflers could be seen from the side under the fenders...

I WILL FIX! :eek

Actually the second time the exhaust went under the knife, or should I say grinder!:rofl I angled the cans up so they can't be seen from the side, it looks 10x better...

Pull driveshafts

Diff comes out!

Time to start another pile of parts!
                      Like my shaft?:rofl:eyebrows

undo some more bolts and this heavy hunk of metal comes out!

I've always ***** the look of this solenoid on the side of the trans... AND it serves absolutely ZERO purpose. It's job is to MAKE you shift from 1st gear to 4th! Thanks Chevy!
                      Stupid thing out of there for a small mod! (it had no idea what was coming!:rofl

I kinda broke the connector last year stepping on it, But I never had it hooked up anyway since I want a 6 speed not a 4!
                      It met the (cough) reaper (cough) I mean grinder.
                      Made a weld on that little rod to keep the plunger thing from rattling out and jamming something up in the trans. Sand it up with the DA and done.

Finished install! Looks much cleaner! Looks much better to me and that's all that matters. I can shorten the wiring harness to get rid of the 1-4 solenoid wires and I have a 6 speed again!

More parts for the pile!!!:rofl

Shaft is getting longer!

The rest are pretty much random pics of stuff! I may or may not be trying to polish this shiz up.:rofl It would look killer but it would be a major PITA so IDK yet...:rofl

Why tear it all down?
                      Well, 1st gear pops out and grinds pretty much every time I select 1st and use some throttle (apply torque). The weird part is that if I select 1st and hold the shifter in 1st (pushing on the gate) and slowly let out the clutch, it will make a loud clunk. After the cluck it will operate as it should, I can burn the tires or whatever, and shift into 2nd like normal...

Also, when engine braking like when rolling up to a stop sign, I can stick it in 1st and let the clutch out while rolling slow and it will still pop out and make all manner of grinding noise. Again, once I've clunked it into 1st, I can decelerate just fine...

All the other gears work normally, and the clutch works ok as well...

I asked on LS1tech and these pics are recycled from that thread...

1st gear

IMG_7439m by Der E30, on Flickr
                      1/2 fork, looks fine to me…

IMG_7435m by Der E30, on Flickr
                      3rd

3rd:4th slider by Der E30, on Flickr
                      3-4 slider from 3rd side… Most of the sliders look more or less like this, pretty good as far as I know...

3rd slider by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7456m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7457m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7454m by Der E30, on Flickr
                      IMG_7453m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7450m by Der E30, on Flickr
                      IMG_7449m by Der E30, on Flickr

The more I look at the teeth on 1st gear itself, the more I think that the circled area could be the issue, the teeth all look the same, almost rounded off right on the corner...

IMG_7446m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7459 by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7461m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7460m by Der E30, on Flickr

Gonna build basically a stage 2 trans with bronze fork pads and billet keys, new 1st gear slider, plus a short shifter and shifter cup along with some GM fluid. No new 1st gear for now, my wallet hurts enough for one day...

It throwing the lever out of 1st was the number 1 reason for second gear short drifts and burnouts.. It is enormously pissing to have it pull that crap, especially when you've driven the stupid thing like 600 miles EVER
                      Last edited by DER E30; 03-02-2015, 11:23 PM.
                      -Christian

Comment

You have a need for speed.
                        ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

beast. cool project with a lot of customizing.

The Build:
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                            You have a need for speed.
                            I do, I'd love to FI it... A polished magnacharger would be the topper.
                            Originally posted by ttrousdell View Post
                            beast. cool project with a lot of customizing.
                            Thanks man! everything's been modded at this point but the motor itself and the diff A cam might be on the list for summer but we'll see.
                            -Christian

Comment

This is so badass.... Im going to be picking your brain about the frame.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                              X