Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much would/should you pay for a donor m52 swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much would/should you pay for a donor m52 swap?

Been entertaining the idea of a swap for down the line. Aka I would buy the engine now and mess around with it for a while in my garage (on an engine stand) before putting it into my car.

Been thinking the best option for me is to find a 2000 e46 328i manual transmission. I'm thinking if I find one in decent condition on Craigslist I can actually test drive it and run through the gears and so forth. Further more, I have some need for various body panels inside to weld onto my e46.

So what do you think is fair for an old as fuck m52 e46 with upwards of 200k miles. Id strip the car, tune up the engine, drop it in (to the e30 vert or another shell i pick up later) maybe a year or so from now. Aka next winter. Essentiallyl, Im looking for a hobby to wrench around on when I'm bored that will not be on the front burner.

Going to test drive an e46 328i tonight that is on CL for 1500. Car exterior and interior is a shit show. Is it realistic to get what I am looking for, for 600 bucks?

I have access to tons of m52s at junkyards, but I can never tell if they are any good.... perhaps an extra hundred or so is worth being able to drive it and know it's sound??

thoughts?

This thread is worthless without pictures, but 1500 for an E46 that runs and drives is not a red flag/issue for me.

I'd enjoy the piece of mind of knowing the engine is as described and runs well, having heard and felt it myself.

If the seller is in a jam/really tired of the car, 600 may be achievable, but I would pay more if you really want it.

Having an entire donor car has always been wise for my friends and I in the past.
    My previous build (currently E30-less)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

The M52 motor you want is a single vanos, not the dual vanos that the E46 has
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post

If the seller is in a jam/really tired of the car, 600 may be achievable, but I would pay more if you really want it.

Having an entire donor car has always been wise for my friends and I in the past.
        here are some pictures:

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        The M52 motor you want is a single vanos, not the dual vanos that the E46 has
        the e46 has the m52b28TU right? As in the technical update was the second vanos? or are there other differences
        Last edited by BaltimoreBimmer; 12-02-2016, 01:20 PM.

Comment

A running, driving E46 is worth $1200 in my opinion. And we are swimming in a sea of cheap BMWs in SoCal right now.

Comment

yeah I forgot about the dual vanos thing

Comment

Originally posted by BaltimoreBimmer View Post

the e46 has the m52b28TU right? As in the technical update was the second vanos? or are there other differences
              Aluminum block was the other big deal, although Z3's did get aluminum blocks with single Vanos.

Comment

The M52tu is basically a M54 and it has very few things in common with the M52.
                My Garage
                2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Guess I'll keep looking for a wrecked e36 328i

Comment

Working...
                  X