Check panel renovation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ninjaotter View Post
    I've made a LOT of progress. I'll take some pictures when I get back into my workshop.

I am afraid that this will be ABSURDLY expensive in a small batch. It would also require a sizable down payment prior to production. So basically, there are huge obstacles to these finding their way into anyone elses hands.

Sadly, this may well be a one off. Short of someone wanting to go into business with me and deciding to invest a few thousand dollars in production equipment.
    Get with George Graves or Greg's ///M.

I'm sure you guys could make something happen.

Comment

Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
      Definitely in! If its under $500 a piece then ill take two if that helps!
      I'm not personally interested in the near future but this is closer to the price I would expect for the capabilities you're describing. If enthusiasts are paying hundreds for a couple quality gauges in a pod I don't see why something that offers much more wouldn't command a similar price.

Comment

Very cool. I had a similar idea but got sidetracked with doing research on trying to interface with the ECU via CANBUS and then further sidetracked by school. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Comment

Wow this is somwthing amazing! Im in for some updates!
          Also on the price!
          sigpic

1989 BMW 325is (SOLD)
          1990 BMW 325i Brilliantrot (SOLD)
          1992 BMW 325IC (SOLD)
          1991 BMW 318IS (STOLEN!)

2017 BMW M2 (WEEKEND WARRIOR)
          (GRIGIO TELESTO RESPRAY, FULL BOLT ONS, TUNE-HPFP AND TURBO UPGRADE COMING AFTER WARRANTY IS DONE)
          1989 BMW 325IC (PROJECT(
          2002 FORD ESCAPE (DAILY)
          2001 BMW 330CI (FOR SALE SOON)

"R3v, being a bunch of cheap bastards that would try to negotiate a discount on a free engine,"

Comment

This sounds amazing, I have never thought of changin the check panel. If its under $250 I would buy
            Subd

Comment

outside temp, compass, voltage, laser guided missiles, all would be very cool!
              IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

been wanting something like this for a long time. subbbbbed.

Comment

Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
                  Definitely in! If its under $500 a piece then ill take two if that helps!
                  That does help!

Originally posted by kingston View Post
                  Would a Group Buy doing a small run make it more feasible? In other words, if you sell 10 of these at once, would that lower the cost per unit in any meaningful way?
                  A group buy would probably be the only reason this would happen, and the money would have to come in up front. Basically, you guys would have to finance your own unit. I'll have a demo unit done and tested before I take that step. The only part that would significantly change between my demo and the finished product would be the casing most likely.

Originally posted by JCarp90 View Post
                  Get with George Graves or Greg's ///M.

I'm sure you guys could make something happen.
                  I doubt either of them has a CNC mill kicking around, but I might drop them a PM.

Originally posted by SlamedIAm View Post
                  I'm not personally interested in the near future but this is closer to the price I would expect for the capabilities you're describing. If enthusiasts are paying hundreds for a couple quality gauges in a pod I don't see why something that offers much more wouldn't command a similar price.
                  Yeah, its going to be expensive. I might look at building an extremely basic model with only a single sensor or something for a couple hundred bucks if people are interested.

Originally posted by Jalves619 View Post
                  Very cool. I had a similar idea but got sidetracked with doing research on trying to interface with the ECU via CANBUS and then further sidetracked by school. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273038
                  I'll PM you for some details on your project, cheers!

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
                  outside temp, compass, voltage, laser guided missiles, all would be very cool!
                  ...laser guided missiles would make my commute a whole lot shorter...

ANYONE WHO IS SERIOUSLY INTERESTED IN THIS PRODUCT: I need you to PM me your name, and an email address. I'll add you to a contact list and keep you updated via email.

Comment

Originally posted by ninjaotter View Post
                    I doubt either of them has a CNC mill kicking around, but I might drop them a PM.
                    I have a friend in Cleveland with a CNC laser cutting table who is looking for projects to avoid selling the device. Shoot me a PM if you want his contact information
                    - Josh
                    1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
                    Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

did this die errrr what

Comment

Just saw this, really cool idea.

If you are looking for ideas still, maybe a Valentine V1 remote display, or something similar
                        BMWCCA # 482566

Originally posted by nando
                        also, I can't think of any BMW special tools you need to do a headgasket on an M20. you could nearly do it with the trunk tool kit, some bubble gum, and string.
                        Check out my Leather Shift Boots for Sale Here

Check out my other work with my GF Here Great gifts for your Wife or GF

Comment

What do you need a CNC mill for?
                          George is building a 3D printer, use that :D

Comment

So here's the deal boys and girls. I'm going to build this. I'm going to build one, and ONE only. Then I'm going to start a kickstarter giving you guys options from just donating a buck to $5000 for a dealer pack. I will need to sell at LEAST 10. 10 is the magic number. I'm also not going to be making any money on this, I'm just doing it for fun.

I'll have the electronics completed in a couple of days. The enclosure and install procedure come next. I'm also planning on making it open source so anyone can hack or modify it.

I think I'm going to develop 3 different mounts. 1 the stock check panel, 2 on top of the dash, and a third one that takes place of the ash tray. Right now pricing is going to be between $300 and $750.

Right now the biggest decision I need to make is what sensors to use. I'm open to suggestions on what you want to monitor. I think stock setup is going to be a narrowband meter, voltmeter, h20 temp, and...something. No idea. I sort of like the idea of a compass, or a GPS based speed read out. Depending on the level of funding I might be able to build a version for M50 swapped models as well.

One question: if I can NOT replicate the check panel function, would you still want it? Its giving me huge issues, and I'm not sure if its worth it.

Comment

I look forward to the day you do a group buy with this amazing ideas man.
                              Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

Comment

I'd jump on it if only it will mount in the check panel.

mtech1/2jzgte/r154/275tire
                                function>form

Comment

Working...
                                X