Daily Fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Fail

About 4 months ago I decided to get a daily e30 so I could work on my project e30. Well that plan failed when I started to fix little things.

When I just got it

The car was running a little rough so I decided to look for some air leaks. Found that the intake manifold had air leak. So I pulled it off and decided to clean and paint

This was the antifreeze

I had an extra steering wheel laying around and saw a forum member instal a cover which made it look much nicer. I did the same thing. Its a fun little project

Finally cleaned the intake

Found some Reps that looked decent. Lets agree to disagree

Started doing some painting

My brother picked up this gem to use as his daily. It didn't run at the moment but we got it running. It was a californian car minimum rust.

After working on the car for about a month I had a great idea swapping it from Auto to Manual transmission.

At the same time I decided that my ultimate project Henna had to start at some point so I pulled the engine and transmission out. I'm doing a complete restore on Henna with taking everything apart then sticking an m50. Later turbo it.
    For now just taking everything apart

So after I pulled the engine out of the Grenna I decided well why not give it a paint job.

Got the injectors rebuilt by a guy from the forum. He did a good job

I painted the tail lights but could use a nice buff

Decided to change the rear seal since I'm at it

Used the clutch and transmission from my Henna car since I will be doing an M50 swap in it I can pick up a different tranny

new spark plugs

Tons of little maintenance stuff

The diff that was in the car was an open 2.97 but I replaced it with an LSD 2.97
    used some fresh oil

With the new rims the car needed a drop. I got ST springs

All the shocks were blown so I got KYB shocks.

I got everything put back together just was lazy to take pictures but I still need to change couple more things.

Nice work, should make for a good daily.

You should change the head bolts out, the hex head ones were know to break the heads off. You can change them out one at a time without pulling the head.
    My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
    4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Great work so far. Paint Looks great. That jar of coolant is scary O_O
      1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
      1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
      bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
        Nice work, should make for a good daily.

You should change the head bolts out, the hex head ones were know to break the heads off. You can change them out one at a time without pulling the head.
        The headgasket is not leaking what would be the point of changing the bolts?

Comment

Originally posted by AwakenNoMore View Post
          Great work so far. Paint Looks great. That jar of coolant is scary O_O
          Yeah the paint is pretty good. Still need to buff. plus these are iphone pics I will get some high resolution pics soon.

The coolent scared too but after flushing the system and putting all new coolent its the right color now. My guess is that the coolent was never flushed.

Comment

Originally posted by arthb7 View Post
            The headgasket is not leaking what would be the point of changing the bolts?
            There was an issue with the heads of the hex head bolts breaking off and the head bouncing around like a pinball game, have found a few broken ones and have had to replace a couple cyl heads back in the day from the cam lobe smashing the broken bolt head into the cyl head.
            My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
            4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Nice! Some kinda nasty soup you had for coolant!

Forgive my ignorance but what kind of bumper is on the Henna?
              -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
              08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
              318iS, slow build/garage queen...
              '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
              Originally posted by roguetoaster
              Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
                There was an issue with the heads of the hex head bolts breaking off and the head bouncing around like a pinball game, have found a few broken ones and have had to replace a couple cyl heads back in the day from the cam lobe smashing the broken bolt head into the cyl head.
                Haven't heard of that before but would be a good idea to change them out. Do I just replace them for the same OEM ones or get some other kind?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
                  Nice! Some kinda nasty soup you had for coolant!

Forgive my ignorance but what kind of bumper is on the Henna?

That soup did the job for a while! lol

Henna has the euro bumpers!

Comment

A little update.

I tried to get alignment done since I swapped the steering rack for one that didn't leak and I was told I had one control arm bent so I replaced both with new Bavarianauto control arms and used Revshift lolipop bushings

Put some Eurogrills in and Kopi smoked turnsignals still need to paint the rubber plastic

My cuzin had the front sway bar from a convertible laying around so I got it from him. Its much beefier then regular eta

Did some cleaning too

It snowed a week ago so I took a picture

Comment

Doing some nice work! Car should be awesome once it's "done".
                      91 318is M50 swapped
                      05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Nice keep it up!

-Derek

Comment

Sub'd. I'm over in Normandy Park / Des Moines area if you ever need another hand!

Comment

Originally posted by TheNorthBest View Post
                            Sub'd. I'm over in Normandy Park / Des Moines area if you ever need another hand!
                            Thanks I will keep that in mind. Most of the heavy lifting has been dealt with. Now just playing with the little things.

Comment

What are the specs on the reps, and what size tire did you end up going with? I was thinking about picking up a set.

Comment

Working...
                              X