R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > E30 FAQ and DIY

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #31
///M42 sport
No R3VLimiter
 
///M42 sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 3,926
this is what I have. Yak. model ? I bought it off cl for $30. I'll have to provide better pics later but they are the q towers with a unknown clip

http://www.yakima.com/FileRender.ash...&ImageSize=Big


as you can see it doesnt use the rain gutters so no scraping of paint or shadowling. Pretty stable although a slight fitment issue on the front rack. it barely closes to be able to be locked.


Pretty stable. Held up find with my cargo box jammed packed full of clothes. I probably exceeded the 100lb limit for the rack on move.
__________________
Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg


Last edited by ///M42 sport; 02-25-2010 at 09:55 AM.
///M42 sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #32
Trucidatio
Mod Crazy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Vernon, WA
Posts: 784
You need to use the correct clips. It will fit alot better, and be much easier to use.

They are Q30s, you can also modify the clips you have if they are close. Heat them up and bend them to fit.
__________________


"I go slow, cause;Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."
Trucidatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #33
Alkasquawlik
R3V Elite
 
Alkasquawlik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kings Beach, CA
Posts: 4,559
Send a message via AIM to Alkasquawlik
I've been debating getting a rocketbox for my car instead of a standard rack, since I could fit more shit in there for trips to Tahoe and whatnot.

What models would fit on my car?
__________________

SC*AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesE30 View Post
And with a car looking like yours I imagine the balance shall tip in the favor of insult, like a big fat fucking retarded fucking black girl on a see-saw, opposite... a dwarf.
Alkasquawlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #34
nonlocal
Noobie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucidatio View Post
This is mine.

[image omitted]

Thule 300 towers
LB58 crossbars
872xt fairing
and 2 594 Sidearms bike carriers
In your opening post you said correct fitment for e30s is 48" crossbars-- I presume the LB58 in your setup means there's no problem using 58" crossbars either? I'll just get a rack with more, er, poke?

Found some Yakima 1a's w/ 58" crossbars on CL... I assume you can run whatever length crossbars you want, except too-long will look absurd and leave gouges on the side of trailers you pass and you won't be able to fit through garage doors and stuff. Heh. Just wanted to double check though.

Thanks.
nonlocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #35
Trucidatio
Mod Crazy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Vernon, WA
Posts: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
I've been debating getting a rocketbox for my car instead of a standard rack, since I could fit more shit in there for trips to Tahoe and whatnot.

What models would fit on my car?
Any size box will fit on our cars. Its all just a matter of how big is to big.

I have had an 18 cubic foot box on my car and it didnt really look that bad.

I would say the most appropriate size is a 16 cubic or smaller box. It also depends on what you plan to carry.
__________________


"I go slow, cause;Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."
Trucidatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #36
Trucidatio
Mod Crazy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Vernon, WA
Posts: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlocal View Post
In your opening post you said correct fitment for e30s is 48" crossbars-- I presume the LB58 in your setup means there's no problem using 58" crossbars either? I'll just get a rack with more, er, poke?

Found some Yakima 1a's w/ 58" crossbars on CL... I assume you can run whatever length crossbars you want, except too-long will look absurd and leave gouges on the side of trailers you pass and you won't be able to fit through garage doors and stuff. Heh. Just wanted to double check though.

Thanks.
You can run any length of crossbar you want, locally for me atleast the only limiting factor is that it is illegal to have anything on the vehicle that is wider than the mirrors.

If you do have bars that are too long just cut them down, a hacksaw or a sawzall makes quick work of thule or yakima bars.
__________________


"I go slow, cause;Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."
Trucidatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:17 AM   #37
Alkasquawlik
R3V Elite
 
Alkasquawlik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kings Beach, CA
Posts: 4,559
Send a message via AIM to Alkasquawlik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucidatio View Post
Any size box will fit on our cars. Its all just a matter of how big is to big.

I have had an 18 cubic foot box on my car and it didnt really look that bad.

I would say the most appropriate size is a 16 cubic or smaller box. It also depends on what you plan to carry.
Just snowboards, and hopefully I can throw some boots and shit up there too to make more space for bags and whatnot in the trunk.
__________________

SC*AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesE30 View Post
And with a car looking like yours I imagine the balance shall tip in the favor of insult, like a big fat fucking retarded fucking black girl on a see-saw, opposite... a dwarf.
Alkasquawlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #38
///M42 sport
No R3VLimiter
 
///M42 sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 3,926
I have a sears xcargo. 20cubic foot capacity. A lot cheaper than the thule/yak boxes. and alot more space. I think its more practicle, but you really have to be aware of the momentum it carries. Its easy to overstuff the box and exceed the 100lb limit.

I think the slimline thule/tak boxes are better designed because they spread the weight around more
__________________
Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

///M42 sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #39
Trucidatio
Mod Crazy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Vernon, WA
Posts: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M42 sport View Post
I have a sears xcargo. 20cubic foot capacity. A lot cheaper than the thule/yak boxes. and alot more space. I think its more practicle, but you really have to be aware of the momentum it carries. Its easy to overstuff the box and exceed the 100lb limit.

I think the slimline thule/tak boxes are better designed because they spread the weight around more

lulz

to me that is like putting the cheapest shittiest used tires on your car and calling it a day.

Ya they work, but fuck that if you actually need to use them.
__________________


"I go slow, cause;Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."
Trucidatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #40
///M42 sport
No R3VLimiter
 
///M42 sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 3,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucidatio View Post
lulz

to me that is like putting the cheapest shittiest used tires on your car and calling it a day.

Ya they work, but fuck that if you actually need to use them.
ehh, sorry I would never spend $600-700 on a new cargo box...even if I do have money. There is no "cool" factor in having a box on your car...or running around with a roofrack just for looks.
__________________
Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

///M42 sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #41
Trucidatio
Mod Crazy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Vernon, WA
Posts: 784
Do you buy tires cause they look cool?

that is not the point I was trying to make.

Those boxes are poorly produced, badly designed, and can be dangerous to other motorists.

You can get a good yakima box for under 300, and if you wait for their specials you can get them for well bellow that price.
__________________


"I go slow, cause;Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."
Trucidatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #42
dvck
No R3VLimiter
 
dvck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Echo Parque - LA, Ca.
Posts: 3,396
so i finally have to ask, members on here with roof racks, do you guys
actually lug things around? or is it a look thing? i dont think it adds
much aesthetically.

ive been hunting a rack locally, but i would really only slap it on the car
when i go for a bike ride up in the mountains, go surfing, snowboarding
etc. and once that day is done, the rack goes back into the closet/garage
till next ride.

it just seems to me that alot of people want to run the racks with the fairing
for looks?
__________________
dvck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:41 PM   #43
ak-
R3V OG
 
ak-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hacienda Hts, CA
Posts: 11,948
I say it goes both ways.
People have also said it reduces up to 3mpg also.

I like the look, but also use it for carrying my BMX bike and friends to the skatepark literally every 3 days.

Mine needs some serious wd40 sometime to take it off my roof so I save the hassle and leave it on there.
__________________
abbi.
1991 325iS turbo
2000 328i
2000 Civic DX
1977 CB550F

ak- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:59 PM   #44
Trucidatio
Mod Crazy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Vernon, WA
Posts: 784
I do it for both reasons.

I use it frequently, but I also jsut enjoy the look of it on my car.

But it is off almost all the time now that I drive 60 miles everyday.
__________________


"I go slow, cause;Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."
Trucidatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #45
crustproductions
Noobie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: salem/bend oregon
Posts: 23
My setup.
Yakima SST Towers with Y19 Clips 48" crossbars and Thule Box.
crustproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 - 2020 R3VLimited LLC