Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IX Ring and Pinion - is it reverse cut? what diameter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IX Ring and Pinion - is it reverse cut? what diameter?

I am working on a project and need to source a reverse cut ring and pinion gear with a small diameter ring gear. Searching for such information is difficult for something other than the typical Jeep/Dana stuff.

Does anyone have this information... or know where I can find it? Or who to ask?

Just to clarify... this is the front axle. And I am looking for a reverse cut ring gear with a diameter less than 7" - preferably around 6.5"

Thanks.
    Last edited by mechdonald; 10-15-2011, 09:13 AM.

honda b/d series? b series ran counter clockwise
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
      honda b/d series? b series ran counter clockwise
      good thinking... but I checked some pictures on Google and they aren't reverse cut. Here is a picture of the layout I need. Note the direction the teeth curve on the ring gear.

I just need a smaller diameter setup than is available in all the North American market off-roading stuff.

I am hoping the E30 IX front R&P will work. The ratio isn't too critical at this point, but something between 3.6x to 4.0x would be nice.

Comment

what about subaru transmission front diff? it has a R&P also and is inside the trans.

or try porsche front diff from AWD 911? one of those guys must be weird, as both engines spin clockwise; one is AWD rear engine, one AWD front engine.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
          what about subaru transmission front diff? it has a R&P also and is inside the trans.

or try porsche front diff from AWD 911? one of those guys must be weird, as both engines spin clockwise; one is AWD rear engine, one AWD front engine.
          I just checked with a SubaruGears.com and it looks like we have something. They measured the gear and it is roughly 6.5" OD. I just have to check some other information now to make sure it will work.

Thanks for your help,
          Dale

Comment

Actually, looking more into things, the Subarugears.com stuff is to convert an aircooled VW to use Subaru transmissions. Subarus do not seem to normally have reverse cut R&P. More research required.

Comment

I *think* ix front diff R&Ps are still cut the same as a rear diff. if you think about it, it's turning the wheels in the same direction, but the diff is just upside down.

I don't know how big it is, but my guess is small. it's smaller than a 168mm R&P for sure.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                I *think* ix front diff R&Ps are still cut the same as a rear diff. if you think about it, it's turning the wheels in the same direction, but the diff is just upside down.

I don't know how big it is, but my guess is small. it's smaller than a 168mm R&P for sure.
                I did some more digging on Google Images. This is from a thread on E30tech. It shows that it is reverse cut. Looks pretty small too.

Getting closer to my answer I hope. What ratios did these come in?

here is the thread

Last edited by mechdonald; 10-17-2011, 09:31 AM.

Comment

3.91 and 4.10 are the only ones you're likely to find. you can get a 3.64 and 3.73 but they're euro only, expensive, and rare.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I take it that the tooth count on the 3.91 would be 43/11?

Comment

you could also check with the toyota/nissan 4x4 setups

RB25det and DE and Rb26DETT also had a front bolted diff on engine, similar sizing as the BMW stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X