Hood Louvers/Vents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hood Louvers/Vents

Im after some nice looking Hood louvers to help bring engine bay temps down on my m20 turbo track car.
    Please post pics or point me in the right direction.

329i

Oh man, I know it's a race car and all but you've left yourself wiiiiide open to get trollollololed.

but here man: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=e...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ
    ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Originally posted by Doughnut View Post
      Oh man, I know it's a race car and all but you've left yourself wiiiiide open to get trollollololed.

but here man: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=e...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Of course I searched google first.
      But most of them are complete hoods, which isn't an option for me Here in Australia due to shipping.
      I was just wondering if anyone had a nice looking option, that doesn't look cheap and nasty like the google search results. tried and tested on a e30.

329i

Comment

What about removing the hood gaskets? Would that supply enough ventilation?

Comment

Haven't really seen any good looking ones, if you care about looks.
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

If its a track car what about taking out the the high beams and doing some diy air intakes? That may be easier and cheaper than doing the hood. Or just go to the junkyard, snag a hood and have some fun cutting.
            sigpic
            1991 318is S52
            1987 325i Vert
            1991 325i
            2011 e70 X5

Need Anything E30? -> http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Comment

why not just cut some slits in the stock hood and bend the steel a bit? the metal is pretty thin and it would be easy to work with I'd think. If you take your time, you should be able to make it look halfway decent too.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                  ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                  ~ '87 535
                  ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                  ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

If you're ok with the louver style that F34R posted (Or with the louver on the inside of the hood) you could make(or buy) a louver die set to make clean, consistent louvers.

Example

If you don't care about how it turns out or are very experienced with sheetmetal forming, you could make them with a ball peen and a dolly.
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Or you could cut up the louvered top of one of those old wood stoves and just weld those into your hood.
                      Originally posted by Andy.B
                      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                      1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                      ~~~~~~~~~~
                      I was born on 3/25…
                      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Yeah food for thought ill speak to my panel beater and see what he can do for me.

329i

Comment

An e46 pulls off hood vents well. But IMHO an e30 is just too small, too old, too square.

It's like a datsun 510 with a vent hoot. Awesome car, good drivers car, but could never need a a vent hood.

If you have a hood vent on an e30, you better have it be functional. Like on the passenger side, with a hot turbo under it.
                          Originally posted by Matt-B
                          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by jules325i View Post
                            on my m20 turbo track car.
                            Originally posted by george graves View Post
                            If you have a hood vent on an e30, you better have it be functional. Like on the passenger side, with a hot turbo under it.
                            :p
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                              Or on the driver side, with a hot supercharger under it.
                              Or both. ;)
                              Originally posted by Andy.B
                              Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                              1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                              ~~~~~~~~~~
                              I was born on 3/25…
                              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X