No announcement yet.

Work ethicality question for anyone who's game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shit, I worked at Kroger during high school. I got paid to drive an hour to another store, set up a produce dept for 8 hours, got fed lunch at a good restaurant, then paid to drive back home.....all in my own car.

....and that was as a part time produce clerk.

It's taking time from you to do work business....you should get paid.
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

whatcha gonna be doing down here in richmond? It sounds like you'll be busy all, hopefully in AC...
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Sounds like a government gig?
        Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
        Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
        Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Damn, I wouldn't be doing that.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

yes, at least wrong for my jobs. You clock-in right when you leave the house for any trip and end the clock when you get back. So flying days I get mad over time because it takes about an hour to get to air port and wait time, etc. Driving back in traffic also adds to time. You should be payed for all your time to and from job site.
            "I wanna see da boat movie"
            "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

I probably have an opinion you don't want to hear. If you were driving and getting paid for millage it would be the same distance and you technically should be only getting reimbursed for gas. you wouldn't be clocked in till you got there. now that you are taking the bus they are paying for gas anyways and you are getting paid when you get there just as if you drove. no difference. they aren't ever going to pay you for sitting on a bus when they are paying for the bus to get you there.

Comment

^ You may be willing to trade your time for nothing, many of us are not, and the law has our backs.

Travel time is also usually not just gas compensation. It factors in wear/tear on the vehicle as well as a predetermined rate of pay for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post
                  ^ You may be willing to trade your time for nothing, many of us are not, and the law has our backs.

Travel time is also usually not just gas compensation. It factors in wear/tear on the vehicle as well as a predetermined rate of pay for your time.
                  I've still yet to find this law. Could you enlighten me with a link to it?

Comment

Yeah, fuck that. I'd rather spend my gas money to drive my own rattle trap of a car than to sit in a rattle trap old bus. If they're saying you must use the bus, they damn well better be paying for it. If they're not paying you at the time, you can do whatever the fuck you want.
                    For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                    Originally posted by mbonanni
                    I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Do you people demand to be paid hourly if say you have to travel somewhere by plane for a meeting?

It doesnt hurt to ask but for me, in my state, they are not required to pay you jack for commute time.

It would be one thing if it was part of your day at work, but its not, its technically a commute, so as long as they arent making you pay your bus fare, I believe they are covered legally.

Now employee relations wise, it might not be the best move for them, but thats a different discussion.
                      Back to my roots

Comment

But the point remains that if you're not being paid, they can't try to tell you that you have to take this particular bus.
                        For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                        Originally posted by mbonanni
                        I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Again, if he had to fly somewhere, and the company paid for it, how is it any different.

Mileage and payment for hours worked never include commute times. It was fully disclosed to him that he would have to commute long distances to work on occasion, this is one of those instances.

Again, pretty shitty deal on the companies part, but a judge is going to consider this a commute and thus he will not be paid.
                          Back to my roots

Comment

Originally posted by AdironRider View Post
                            Again, if he had to fly somewhere, and the company paid for it, how is it any different.

Mileage and payment for hours worked never include commute times. It was fully disclosed to him that he would have to commute long distances to work on occasion, this is one of those instances.

Again, pretty shitty deal on the companies part, but a judge is going to consider this a commute and thus he will not be paid.
                            This is exactly my point. It may seem shitty, but legal.

Comment

Why do they care about safety if you're not on the clock? That's where I'm mixed up.
                              "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Originally posted by Turf1600 View Post
                                Why do they care about safety if you're not on the clock? That's where I'm mixed up.
                                They dont, its to come off as if they are doing these employees a favor and attempting to look like they are trying to look out for them and take care of them. Likely so they dont do what the OP is going to do, inquire to HR about billable time, and hope they get out of paying that time and all the travel mileage they would otherwise be thwacked with..........

Originally posted by brbahner View Post
                                I probably have an opinion you don't want to hear. If you were driving and getting paid for millage it would be the same distance and you technically should be only getting reimbursed for gas. you wouldn't be clocked in till you got there. now that you are taking the bus they are paying for gas anyways and you are getting paid when you get there just as if you drove. no difference. they aren't ever going to pay you for sitting on a bus when they are paying for the bus to get you there.
                                When you hire on to work at a FIXED location you know your office that is your place of work. When you are to travel to another office that is NOT your normal place of work, that is not part of your regular duties but at the direction of your employer you get more than gas money, you get reimbursed at the federal mileage rate to compensate you for the wear at tear on your car as well. IIRC its 47 cents a mile.

Originally posted by AdironRider
                                Do you people demand to be paid hourly if say you have to travel somewhere by plane for a meeting?
                                If I am on company business, I am on company time. Simple as that, makes no differance if its from home to a work site across the country, or from one job location to another. (customers are paying for it anyway travel in/out Mobilization in/out to their location or travel between their locations)

It doesnt hurt to ask but for me, in my state, they are not required to pay you jack for commute time.
                                Depends your terms of employment. If you hire in for a fixed location or temporary locations. When travel to someplace that is not your fixed location you hired in at, travel to that location is required reimbursable at the federal mileage rate, (or stipulated in your terms of employment) time on the clock while normally paid can be a grey area. In many ways it will depend on all the fine print you sign off on when you hire in

It would be one thing if it was part of your day at work, but its not, its technically a commute, so as long as they arent making you pay your bus fare, I believe they are covered legally.
                                This is likely the case I will agree with you guys on that and is more than likely covered in all that fine print in his hiring packet. Though hes is being FORCED to travel in this particular manner by his employer, when an employer mandates something like this, normally its billable time.
                                Last edited by mrsleeve; 07-29-2014, 04:50 PM.
                                Originally posted by Fusion
                                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                                William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                                X