No announcement yet.

E30 question's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

look at 328i(s) as well larger engine that can be modded to get closer to M3 power
    1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
    2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
    2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

The 2002 was BMW's attempt tp build a VW Beetle. It's apparent when you pull
      up next to a Neue Klasse 2000 and start looking at how they were built.

The E21 was the result of that experiment- a heavier, more traditionally- built
      car that carried mostly through to the E30, with some evolutionary improvements
      and modifications.

Then all the old guys died off, and the kids built the successor to the 2002, the
      E36. They did a great job with the chassis engineering, and their metalwork was mostly
      OK. But the plastic bits were a throwback to the 2002, and had a lot of teething problems,
      most of which were worked out in the E46.

Which, by the way, I'd suggest as a track car if you don't get an E36M3. The E46 is
      pretty much the E36 suspension with a more modern car attached. Well, mostly attached,
      until the rear subframe rips loose...

hee

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by Kevinl View Post
        I like e36's i dont get the hate for them

A e30 is souless compared to a 2002 but is a way better car
        This is actually quite true. I have a 2002 as my daily and my buddy has a 86' 325e. I drove his 325e and it just feels so, electronic compared to my 2002 if you will... Still love the feel tho' :hitler:
        -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
        -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

Originally posted by Liquidity View Post
          American cars had better interiors in the 80's. And don't even get me started on the cracking dashes.
          no, no they didn't. Name one American car that had a nice interior in the 1980s? They were all pretty terrible. Cadillac was probably the nicest and it's was basically like a sofa on the inside. I spent a lot of time in 80's Fords and Chevys, I remember lots of weird chrome and cheap red vynil, plus dashboards from 1962. Camaros were incredibly poorly made (every plastic bit crumbled in your hands) and the Mustang was basically the same on the inside as the Ford Fairimont. Most of them still used cable speedometers and few had a tach. BMW interiors were like 10 years ahead (except the door cards, I'll give you that, but at least they don't delaminate and fall apart).

Dashes crack with age from UV exposure. it's not unique to E30s. I'd expect the same to eventually happen to E36s and E46s as they age. Mine probably wouldn't have cracked if I'd used a sunscreen.

And BMW build quality is definitely dropping. My E90 is a nice car (engineering wise), but the level of cheapness in many of the materials would seriously piss me off if I'd bought it new. $50k car and the surface of every material on the inside will flake off if you touch it, WTF? Everything on the damn thing is plastic. The engine cover has to be one of the cheesiest looking plastic piles of shit BMW has ever made.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
            pretty much the E36 suspension with a more modern car attached. Well, mostly attached,
            until the rear subframe rips loose...

hee

t
            As long as you get a facelift e46 you should be fine. 95% of the subframe failure cars on the petition were early ones.

E46, I wouldn't touch a 325. 330's are where it's at. Bigger engine, brakes, etc, etc. ZHP = meh. They're nice, but the 6sp isn't necessary and you can slam ZHP cams into a normal 330, get a tune, and be set. Just budget $2k to get a limited slip unit for the diff and you're done.
            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Interior isn't really to much of a concern for me as most of it will more then likely be removed more focused on the mechanical components and the expense to run them through some research it seems the e36 is the more supported platform with less cost then both the e30 and 46 I will probably begin my search for a 328i seeing as these models are still 4-5k cheaper in my area then a 46 meaning I can mod the car quite abit more with the saved money and have a better handling more then likely faster if I can get my hands on an m3 crank.

Comment

Working...
              X