M20 vs M52 dyno comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 vs M52 dyno comparison

In case anyone's interested, I did a dyno comparo of before and after engine swap. Same drivetrain, same dyno:
    - M20B25 99 kw (133 hp), 177 Nm.
    - M52B28 126 kW (168 hp), 236 Nm.

The dyno sheets say Autronic, but I'm not sure if this is the type of dyno or just the software (so, yes, I have the dyno sheets if you doesn't trust me!)

Both engines were running well and unmodified, except the M52 swap included a custom exhaust and maybe some mixture tuning.

Unfortunately, they didn't use an exhaust probe for the M20. But I made sure they did for the M52:
    - up to 3500 rpm, it cycles around 14.7 (the dyno guy said the fluctuation is due to closed-loop, but I thought these engines were meant to be open-loop at WOT?)
    - above 3500 it quickly dives down to 11.5 - 12, where it remains until redline.

The DME is supposedly a stock tune, but the EWS had been removed, so there is a possibility that a different tune got in there somehow. Maybe this is the cause of the strange mixture readings? Or perhaps the car has a faulty O2 sensor?
    Last edited by übersteuern; 07-24-2015, 02:39 PM.

Seems fairly accurate...

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Just about normal for 20+ year old electronics...
      Closed loop with a narrow-band o2 is probably going to fluctuate equally as much as just regular open loop
      The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
        Closed loop with a narrow-band o2 is probably going to fluctuate equally as much as just regular open loop
        Sorry, what do you mean? I didn't think open loop would fluctuate?

My understanding was the motor should run open loop at WOT, regardless of rpm?
        Last edited by übersteuern; 07-24-2015, 03:12 PM.

Comment

MS41 basically shuts off fuel trims at WOT, it does add/remove multiplicative (or LTFT) to the WOT fuel map however.

Check Us out on Facebook
          Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
          Full Product Line Tuning
          OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Post up the graps on the same sheet if you can. I bet it reveals more than just looking at the peak numbers
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
              MS41 basically shuts off fuel trims at WOT, it does add/remove multiplicative (or LTFT) to the WOT fuel map however.
              Ahh. Thanks for the explanation.

Just noticed your dyno thread, think I'll have to spend a few hours going through it :)

Comment

Working...
              X