Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

auto to 5 speed sway would an eta work as a donor car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto to 5 speed sway would an eta work as a donor car?

I have a 325i. Would an eta have all the parts needed for an auto to 5-speed sway? If not what parts would i still need?

TIA,

Spencer

Yes, but you will have to use a 325i clutch kit/flywheel/throw out bearing.

You might also have to use a 325i driveshaft and change the output flange on the tranny, but I am unsure on that.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Thanks TJ.

you might also have to use a 325i driveshaft and change the output flange on the tranny, but I am unsure on that.
      Can anyone confirm this??? I was thinking of using an eta because the one i'm looking at has a new driveshaft. So if i'll need to replace it anyway there would be no point.

Spencer

Comment

Now that I think about it, the eta driveshaft WILL work because I remember everbody telling me I could use an eta driveshaft on my car... but I might of had to change the output flange on the tranny.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Would changing the output flange on the tranny be a big deal? I could find a 325i parts car if i had to. An F-150 made a left turn in front of my friends nice 86 eta so if he can buy back the car it would be cheap.

-Spencer

Comment

Its not hard, it just requires a special 30mm (I believe) thin walled, deep socket.

RISING EDGE

Comment

The output flange swap depends on the year eta, 87 got the larger flange. But ya the eta driveshaft will work just fine, just get the lighter I flywheel,clutch, and bearing liek TJ said. Everything else bolts up just fine.
              85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

I forgot to add that if you use the pedal box from a car that didn't have an airbag on a car that has an (or had) an airbag, you are going to have to do some creative hacking of the 2 pedal boxes in order to support the steering column.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Everything from the ETA should swap right out no problem, even the flywheel only it's much heavier than the I flywheel but technically it all swaps out.

Comment

Are the 325i and Eta Getrag 260s the same internally? The 260 I'm using for my M50 swap has a bigger output flange than the 325i flex disc I bought, so it sounds like I have a 260 from an Eta.
                    San Diego BMW repair -> Jake @ www.littlecarshop.com Great guy :up:

Comment

Besides the eta having 2 addition sensors on the tranny, they are the same internally (save for the clutch and flywheel/to bearing of course). You can change the output flange to a 325i unit.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Yeah, it looks that way from the ETK. The Eta 260 was upgraded to 325i spec gears and synchros (same part #s) from 4/86 and on, and got a bigger output flange at the same time.

So bigger output flange on an Eta 260 = stronger synchros.....

Time to swap the flanges..... 8)
                        San Diego BMW repair -> Jake @ www.littlecarshop.com Great guy :up:

Comment

Working...
                        X