Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel hose replacement (engine bay) - Fuel cooling system delete

EDIT2:
    I successfully deleted the fuel cooling system.

For reference, I used 4' 3" (4.25 feet) of fuel injection hose (ID 5/16") to replace both lines.

The removed items weighed a total of 1.9kg, subtracting the 150g for the new hose, the total weight reduction was 1.75kg (3.85lbs)

I should note, that I had to remove the airbox and intake elbow, as well as put the car on ramps to allow enough working space.

Final configuration used two pieces of hose, like this:
    Supply hardline -> fuel rail -> FPR -> Return hardline

For sake of completeness, here is a shot of the bay with the fuel cooling lines (running along the firewall) highlighted.

EDIT1: I pulled the airbox, and had a look for myself.

From what I can tell, the fuel flow currently goes:
    Supply hardline -> plastic joiner -> fuel rail -> FPR -> fuel cooler inlet hardline -> fuel cooler -> fuel cooler outlet hardline -> Return hardline to fuel tank

With each arrow indicating a piece of rubber fuel hose (except between the fuel rail and FPR which are hard mounted). There was no fuel strainer to be found.

My plan is for fuel flow to eliminate the fuel cooler is:
    Supply hardline -> fuel rail -> FPR -> Return hardline to fuel tank.

I will report back with my results.

------------------------------------------------------------

I have a trackday planned, and I think it would be prudent to replace all of the soft (rubber) fuel hoses in my engine bay.
    All of these pictures of E30s with engine bay fires have me spooked.

I've read that i'll need ~12ft of 8x13mm fuel injection hose, and that 5/16" ID hose will also work.

Looking over the diagrams on RealOEM, I'm not too sure which lines I will actually be replacing? ('87 M20b25). I think the "fuel cooling" system that interfaces with the AC has me confused. There is also a fuel strainer that I wasn't aware of.

Is it simply a matter of taking it all apart so I can see for myself what hoses need to be changed?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Panici; 05-31-2023, 06:57 AM.

Holy cats-
    there are lots of people who don't believe that stuff existed!

Sell it on ePay and make... hundreds!

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
      Sell it on ePay and make... hundreds!

t
      Haha!
      Well if anyone wants it, I wouldn't say no to an offer!

Comment

Working...
      X