Would an F20C fit into an E30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

better than the s14.

i'd rather have an f20c in an m3 any day of the week.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
      better than the s14.

Shouldn't you be lusting after an apex seal pump instead?

Jay kay, I heart triangles.

Comment

An F20c with a turbo, or SC would be tits.

Apparently the transmissions are easily damaged (second syncro) if driven by a jackass.

They actually weigh roughly the same as an LS motor though (long blocks). I have a link on my computer somewhere.

Also M30s won't fit in an E36, apparently they're too tall. But obviously they fit in E30s....

Sent from my SK17a using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is the link if anyone cares:

http://www.v8s2000.com/forums/showth...IFFERENCE&p=40

My mistake, it was w/ transmission. But still, pretty damn close in overall weight. Obviously overall weight isn't the biggest factor to consider, but still food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
            better than the s14.

I won't deny that! It's a much newer engine making more HP with less displacement and it's cheaper and lighter. What tripped me out the most was how much space was left in that 2002 with the F20C. Only thing is that it's a non BMW engine (if you care)
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

this makes me excited.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                Shouldn't you be lusting after an apex seal pump instead?

Jay kay, I heart triangles.
                if i could swap the 13b for an f20c for free, i'd do it. but for the cost of the swap, i may as well put an ls1 in the rx8.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

I like in the video how the tacho gose all the way back to zero lol.

I have considered this swap multi times as I am also bias towards the 4 banger in the e30. Though I would go stand alone.

Edit the engines are not cheap though, I could have an s54 for less.
                  sigpic

Comment

Oh, in the US you can get an F20C and 6 speed transmission for around $4500.

Thanks for the info, Eecen. I didn't realize the F20C and transmission weighed around the same as an LS1.

Originally posted by whysimon
                    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

I had very seriously considered this swap before deciding to leave my e30 alone and start working on a new race car. It's much more difficult than it looks.

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
                      *This guy modded the hell out of the firewall to move it way way far back but I don't think that is necessary.
                      The F20C has a very different shape than a BMW 4-banger. It will NOT fit into an e30 without major surgery. The front subframe and steering rack are in the way. You either need to move it WAY back in the chassis, or cut out the front subframe and remove the steering rack. This swap is actually a little easier in an '02 since you've already got a steering box instead of rack-and-pinion. Still, it takes some major surgery to make it work. An LS1 swap is easier.

This engine is perfect for the e30 IMO. Light front end for great handling with nice sporty high revving power.
                      I think it's already been mentioned, but the F20C isn't all that light.

How does it not fit with the hood? The top of it sits way below the hoodline. Or are you guys talking about the e36? Who cares about e36.
                      The S2000 basically has a huge hole in the center of the engine bay. The steering rack runs in front of the engine, etc. BMW engine bays have a subframe + steering rack going right across the middle. If you put an F20C on top of it, it sticks way the hell up past the hood.

Like I said, it's much trickier than it seems at first glance.
                      sigpic
                      1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
                      2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

KA24 turbo would be much better.. CHEAP. Just saw one with a t28 pushing 230WHP yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Emre View Post
                          I had very seriously considered this swap before deciding to leave my e30 alone and start working on a new race car. It's much more difficult than it looks.

The F20C has a very different shape than a BMW 4-banger. It will NOT fit into an e30 without major surgery. The front subframe and steering rack are in the way. You either need to move it WAY back in the chassis, or cut out the front subframe and remove the steering rack. This swap is actually a little easier in an '02 since you've already got a steering box instead of rack-and-pinion. Still, it takes some major surgery to make it work. An LS1 swap is easier.

The S2000 basically has a huge hole in the center of the engine bay. The steering rack runs in front of the engine, etc. BMW engine bays have a subframe + steering rack going right across the middle. If you put an F20C on top of it, it sticks way the hell up past the hood.

Like I said, it's much trickier than it seems at first glance.
                          Agreed, a close friend of mines did one in an 02 using an AEM ems. Electronically not hard. This is also the car that " luckyhenderickson" has seen using the S2000 digital display as well.
                          Not sure in to E30 but in the 02 the firewall and tunnel must be reworked/sheet metaled to use the 6-speed; one of my favorite shifting trannys btw.
                          And yes the subframe differences make the swap easier for the 02.
                          With all versions of the "F" motor using the same pan, pan swapping for sump location isn't an option.
                          None the less he tuned the car on pump to 240whp if I remember right, Honda left a lot of room on that one.
                          Ended up being a really cool/fun car, I'll post picks as soon as I have the chance to fire up my archive drive.

Comment

I'm thinking K20/24 hybrid, much more potential for a lot less money
                            Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                            A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                              Oh, in the US you can get an F20C and 6 speed transmission for around $4500.

Thanks for the info, Eecen. I didn't realize the F20C and transmission weighed around the same as an LS1.
                              I mean the motors themselves are apples to kumquats, but...a 165lb difference is hardly "around the same."

Comment

I don't get why everyone thinks the LS1 is light.
                                It is heavy. Heavier than the m20, m30, m5x/s5x, n5x, s54, even the DOHC v8 m60!

Originally posted by Emre View Post
                                You're referring to the link where the F20C with trans weighs 460 lbs vs the LS1 with trans which weighs a ridiculous 627 lbs? That's a huge difference in weight as far as engines are concerned.

Even the heavy s54 weighs less than the ls1 - even with assuming that the ls1 transmission in that example weighs 100 lbs which is much more than the getrag and zf transmissions we use.

Lets assume the F20C transmission weighs the same as the getrag260 which probably isin't very far off.. The engine weighed above would then come in at at about the weight of the m54, while being shorter and sitting farther back in the engine bay.
                                Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Working...
                                X