No announcement yet.

Dad and Daughter E30 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't wait to build a car with my daughter. Probably wont be an e30 but who knows. She's not even one yet lol

Comment

Originally posted by Redfox View Post
      inb4 perv r3v comments.

Which I am in shock haven't happened already. Getting soft around here.

in that quagmire kind of way: " hey meg! you 18 yet?!!"

anyway, when my son was 17, we rebuilt a 1991 325ix. here is my thread of it from e30 tech: http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthr...driving+across

unfortunately, the photos are long gone because the photo hosting site i used has since gone belly up.

it looks like that car you and dad picked out was really well taken care of. there is a good chance that once you get the engine fixed, you are going to have yourself a really nice car.

keep up with the updates.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Make sure you replace the rubber fuel/brake lines. Said it on the r3v FB page. They are a must while you are in there. "looks fine" does not cut it :)
        ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
        ~ '87 535
        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Congratulations on Petunia. I can only hope that my 7 year old daughter has your interest in working on cars when she is closer to your age. I just bought another E30 last fall. I'd be inclined to pass it down to her if she show's interest like yours.
          The Definitive 1991 M-Technic Thread - a work in progress

Comment

Welcome to the club, hope you realise you in it for the rest of your life ;)
            sigpic
            89 325i 4 door - current project
            88 325 V8;D - next project

my 325 build
            M20B27i FORSALE maimi fl

Comment

Nice to see daddy/daughter projects,my daughter is turning 15 this year and she want's a e30 just like her dad has too.;)
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

This is a great thread. We need more of this in trying to keep the E30's alive.

Dad/mom and Son/Daughter projects are cool!

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigo View Post
                  This is a great thread. We need more of this in trying to keep the E30's alive.

Dad/mom and Son/Daughter projects are cool!
                  sigpic

Comment

Shes gonna be great at working on her own car one day! :)
                    Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

Day 3:

We weren't planning on doing anything today but when my dad got home from work my dad decided to give it a go!

After soaking the exhaust manifold studs they finally broke loose. All we had to do was the lift the head off.

After looking at the pistons we think they are salvageable. What do you think? How do they look?

Look like there is no valve damage either! What do you think?

Looks like the next thing on our to-do list is to take the head to the machine shop and check it out and replace the worn parts.

Our next update will be in a few days; we have got a lot of parts to clean and paint.Thanks for commenting and wish us luck! See you soon:)

Comment

With the broken rocker, and the t-belt damage, I would almost gaurantee at least one bent valve.

Actually, looking at the block pics, it looks like all the exhaust valves hit the pistons. Not much damage on the pistons, so that's good, but you probably need a set of exhaust valves.

Have you checked to see if the crank turns over or is seized?
                        Last edited by Todd Black 88; 08-05-2013, 05:56 PM.
                        Originally posted by codyep3
                        I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                        2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                        1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                        1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                        2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                        2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                        2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                        2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                        2010 F650gs twin
                        2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

You can soak the tops of the pistons in a bit of diesel then hit them with some carburetor cleaner. Its ok to use a soft wire cup brush in a drill on the tops of the pistons. Rotate the crank so that the piston you want to clean is all the way up and then lightly wire brush it till all the carbon is gone and its nice and shiny again.
                          My pistons were just as dirty but they looked like this after a bit of cleaning. I think I got them a bit cleaner then this after I took the picture. That was a year ago now so I cant remember.
                          sigpic
                          "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Yep, a lot of those exhaust valves are bent. Get a head from your local pull a part and rebuild it and hand lap the valves. I bet you and your Dad could do it. Just have it resurfaced at the machine shop. She'll run like a top.

Pistons also look fine to me. Just need cleaning.
                            Originally posted by Andy.B
                            Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                            1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                            ~~~~~~~~~~
                            I was born on 3/25…
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

as others have said, you definitely have bent valves. the shiny indent areas on the top of the pistons are where the valves impacted. without the impact, the valve reliefs (the indents) would be covered in carbon deposits still.

clean up the pistons, buy another used good cylinder head. (~$200.)
                              AWD > RWD

Comment

Well done good to see kids doing it right.

1. Get the greatest car in the world.
                                2. Do maintenance
                                3. Mod

Job well done, and a big thumbs up to the dad, not enough parents look after their kids and get them involved. Let alone teach them the value of a car and how they work.

As the others have side the pistons look fine but your exhaust valves are probably damaged.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X