• Time
  • Show
Clear All

then that means youre woodruff key either fell out, or isnt there

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Or worse:

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Well, at least woodruff keys are cheap? Some careful work with a file should enable you to get the sprocket off, and the key should pry out. Just try not to file the crank nose too much!

Here's what I do to get stuff to TDC since I don't have an alignment hole in the flywheel (M20 FW conversion). Pull #1 & #2 spark plugs and measure the distance to the piston crowns between cylinders 1 & 2. I tweak things until piston 1 is 81mm higher than piston 2. Then I get the cams aligned and tighten the bolts on the cam sprockets. Make sure that all of the slack in the driver's side of the chain is gone before tightening anything.

And I sympathize with where you are at right now. I have had my share of experiences fucking things up badly when I was just trying to be diligent in my maintenance. It sucks ass, but failure is a great teacher. At least you know that you'll never repeat this mistake again!

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

fuck... welp, pm me op if you want a woodruff key. I have several

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
          Ig:ryno_pzk
          I like the tuna here.
          Originally posted by lambo
          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Since the hb was spinning on the crank, are people less convinced that I was way off time and have bent valves? Frankly I don't want to ship a car and keep fucking with it if it needs a head rebuild.

DJ I'll take you up on the replacement woodruff key I don't have time to work on it any more before the move tho

Comment

If anybody wants to make me an offer on the car pm me. I'm moving in two days and not sure I want to bring this with me. Its really not that big of a deal to fix that key but I've taken the front of the engine off an put it back together twice now and not really looking forward to a third time.

Comment

If flywheel is installed properly, 'locked' should always be at TDC.

If you get the timing set properly just use a compression gauge to check the compression, if you get no compression in ANY or ALL cyl that means the valves are bent.

Comment

I'm no expert by any means, but I really think I had the flywheel locked properly. I'm praying to the M42 gods that the woodruff key and harmonic balancer are my only problems and that no damage was done to the internals. But I guess we'll see what's up once I get this fixed and do a compression test.

Comment

I'll make an extra sacrifice in your name to appease the BMW gods. I'm knee deep in my head gasket job.

If worst comes to worst I might be interested in picking up your car. I'm from Vancouver, but I have a friend in Eugene. If that's how it goes shoot me a PM with some info and I might be down to come take a look.

good luck!

Comment

Thanks. This all happened to close to my move so I'm stuck with this car for better or worse. Moving to NM where I get to do all my engine work in an apt parking lot! I'm just hopeful that I won't have to take it all apart again to do a head gasket...

Comment

Hey guys. I'm finally trying to get this bitch up and running. Filed down the bent piece of the woodruff key, got the crank sprocket off, and now I can't get the damn woodruff key out!

So far I've tried dikes, nippers, banging on one end of it to get the other to pop up, and even tried dremeling a slot in the top of the key to help pry it out. I've soaked it in pb blaster. I can't get the dremel at the right angle to cut a straight divot in it.

I have no ideas left. I've tried everything I could find on the Internet. I need help!!

Comment

Have you tried heat?
                          1991 318i SOLD
                          2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

I don't have a torch. That's the one common thing I haven't been able to try yet

Comment

Besides, it's so buggered up now from my various attempts that there's very little left to grab onto with any tool.

Comment

Torches can be pretty useful, provided you don't burn up anything around them. They're pretty cheap at Home Depot, definitely worth the investment.
                                1991 318i SOLD
                                2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X