Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SSK: Selector Rod contacting Driveshaft- Safe to Drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSK: Selector Rod contacting Driveshaft- Safe to Drive?

I understand how to go about actually solving the problem as far as removing the selector rod, bending it, and reinstalling it to clear the driveshaft/harmonic balancer. My question is that if driven, what if any damage is being done? Obviously the sound/vibration is obnoxious but is there going to damage the driveshaft and or other components of the driveline?

I ask because I am attempting to drive home from school (Savannah GA) to Annapolis MD next week. I don't have an ideal place to perform this modification and I can't afford to pay a shop at the moment, especially knowing I can do it for free.

If I can safely drive the car to MD I have access to a lift that should make the job extremely easy. All of that being said is this an issue of an annoying vibration that can be ignored over a long drive or is there great potential to cause serious damage?

Should be safe to drive. Does it make contact in every gear?

'04 Toyota Sienna AWD (sold)
    '86 BMW 325 coupe (owned since 10/11)
    '05 Subaru WRX sedan (sold)
    '86 Subaru GL-10 wagon (sold)
    '98 Acura Integra GS-R hatchback (sold)

Comment

Doesn't seem to hit in R. 2 and 4 are by far the worst with noticeable contact in 1 and 3. More so in first. I've barely driven it since it's become an issue so I haven't been anywhere to get it into fifth, which would clearly be the majority of a long trip. I'll test that out this evening and get back to you.

Comment

Is it a dssr or just the dinky stock one?

Either way tho, I wouldn't chance it. I was left stranded when I ripped the joint off the transmission when the little pin didn't seat it self correctly. I was left with a 200 dollar towing bill and had to fix it outside the garage (couldn't get up the hill) at 2 in the morning when it was below freezing.

Not the same issue, but your shifter is kinda needed to move about. Just throw down an Irish kreeper and get it done.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. It looks like I might need a new CSB as well so I won't be risking it.

Comment

remove the "harmonic balancer". it really doesn't do anything.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

My short throw shifter hit one of the balancing weights on my driveshaft and i drove it anyways

Comment

Working...
              X