Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
    Oh man thats a great color! Nice work!
    Thanks! I haven't seen many other cars in delphin, TBH - its a nice change from the usual.
    IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by KI4UJO View Post
      _MG_5829 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

_MG_5846 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

_MG_5830 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

_MG_5828 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

_MG_5814 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

_MG_5836-2 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Overall, I'm happy with it. It does have some slight orange peel, but I can easily live with it. Its way better than before. Need to somehow regain a small amount of ride height in the rear - thicker spring pads?
      Thanks! I haven't seen many other cars in delphin, TBH - its a nice change from the usual.
      i'm glad to have seen this thread by chance tonight. i remember when you were first working on cleaning the fuel system of the gunk to get the m10 running, i was fixing the jetronic in my delphin '84 318i at the same time. unfortunately after 3 years of ownership, i sold my 318i before moving to NOLA. i moved back to maine a year later and bought my '87 325iS and '89 325iX.

all the progress you've made on your 318i is awesome man. i love everything you've done, euro bumpers/24v/respray, i wish you the best luck with it. i'm also sorry to have seen that '74 vette wrecked, did you guys (or the police) ever catch up to the person who caused it?
      Originally posted by stevie30
      The e30 is the '57 Chevy of the European imports. Quote me on this.
      1986 325eS - cosmosblau, sold
      1990 325i - bronzit sedan, sold
      1984 318i - delphin coupe, sold
      1987 325iS - zinnoberrot, sold
      1988 325iS - zinnoberrot, sold
      1989 325iX - zinnoberrot sedan, current project/daily

Comment

Originally posted by docleary View Post
        i'm glad to have seen this thread by chance tonight. i remember when you were first working on cleaning the fuel system of the gunk to get the m10 running, i was fixing the jetronic in my delphin '84 318i at the same time. unfortunately after 3 years of ownership, i sold my 318i before moving to NOLA. i moved back to maine a year later and bought my '87 325iS and '89 325iX.

all the progress you've made on your 318i is awesome man. i love everything you've done, euro bumpers/24v/respray, i wish you the best luck with it. i'm also sorry to have seen that '74 vette wrecked, did you guys (or the police) ever catch up to the person who caused it?
        Never found out who hit us, we at least had agreed value insurance on it.

Update time!

I haven't updated this for a long time,obviously. Ended up moving to Louisville,Ky to go to auto tech school and am now employed at Zakspeed (BMW shop specializing in performance / track prepped cars).

As for the e30 - its currently covered in snow in the driveway. Since the last update, I've done several things, including :

-Replacement blower motor

-Bi-Xenon conversion in DEPO housings using a kit including Morimoto Mini H1 7.0,Morimoto 55W ballasts, 5500K bulbs from TheRetrofitSource (did have to make my own brackets)

-Switched back to OBD1 oil filter housing

-Also changed from OBD2 e39 to OBD1 fuel rail to run a fuel rail cover

Currently, I am aiming to get a set of sport seats redone to replace the e21 recaros - they need to be reupholstered themselves, and I would honestly rather have the sport seats (If you're interested in them,PM me - I'm interested in selling them). I stripped them down earlier this week and will have covers built next week,hopefully.

Also, a rather interesting issue that I have encountered: Ever since first installing an e36 rack in the car earlier this year, my steering has always felt extremely light. Even though I currently have a gold tag ZHP rack, it is still very light in comparison to my e39 or my dad's Z3 2.5. After dealing with a few e36s and e46s at work, I could really see the difference. Originally, this is why I swapped the oil filter housing - to get a P/S pump (in this case one from an early e36) that ran at a lower pressure than the LUK LF30 from the e39.

Enter this bolt: 32 41 6 781 261

Officially, it is listed as "Banjo bolt with Check Valve." Personally,though, I find it unusual to put a check valve on the pressure hose - but it makes an excellent place to put a pressure restrictor/regulator. Photos for comparison:

e46 check valve by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

e46 no check valve by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

(Photo Credit to Turner Motorsport and AutoHaus AZ)

I have ordered one through SSF at work and will install Monday - interested to see the difference this makes - if this doesn't work, I may look into having a custom banjo bolt machined which will restrict pressure further.

Also, I picked this up:

00U0U_9fx4RhDonH3_600x450 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Its a 1979 Suzuki TS125 which needs some work. Currently, its in my basement. I stripped it down before Christmas to repair an electrical issue which prevented it from running along with giving it a thorough cleaning. I'm hoping to fire it up this week for the first time. I've only ridden a motorcycle once, so i'm looking forward to this.

Comment

Update - Bolt had some effect, but not as much as I would like. I'll return to that issue once I'm done with the rear subframe.

Comment

Bought TRMotorsport C1s. Went 15X8 with 225/45/15 Hankook RS4's. Should be here by the end of this week.

Comment

Update - Bolt had some effect, but not as much as I would like. I'll return to that issue once I'm done with the rear subframe.
              have you figured this out? funny you mentioned it because I went with a purple tag e46 330 rack (which iirc is the same, internally, as the zhp) since I always loved the steering feel of my dad's 330ci. However I've always thought it felt lighter than it should be but I'm not sure if I'm just crazy and can't recall exactly how it felt (it's been years since I drove that car).

Regardless, thanks for posting this. I'll try it out.
              '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
              Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                have you figured this out? funny you mentioned it because I went with a purple tag e46 330 rack (which iirc is the same, internally, as the zhp) since I always loved the steering feel of my dad's 330ci. However I've always thought it felt lighter than it should be but I'm not sure if I'm just crazy and can't recall exactly how it felt (it's been years since I drove that car).

Regardless, thanks for posting this. I'll try it out.
                Not yet. I'm wondering if it has to do with e30 tire sizes having less contact patch than e46. I bought 200 tread wear 225s, so I'll see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll look into a custom bolt - would love it to feel like my e39 530.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Comment

Not yet. I'm wondering if it has to do with e30 tire sizes having less contact patch than e46. I bought 200 tread wear 225s, so I'll see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll look into a custom bolt - would love it to feel like my e39 530.

I doesn't. I'm on 225s as well. Made no difference between the 205s I had before. I just ordered that bolt though, so glad I stumbled on your thread. Nice build by the way!
                  Shadetree30

Comment

Thought you'd like to know, I did some research and found some answers. Looks like e36s (and some other models) have a restrictor in the return hose. It has about a 4mm orifice. I have to assume this does the job of limiting flow and giving some feel back into the steering.

Shadetree30

Comment

Thank you for the info. That could help, my return line comes straight off the rack back into the reservoir. Might try a Z3 hose, they seem to have very weighty steering (and our racks are almost the same speed)

Comment

Did you respray it delphin or granitsilber? Looks really dark in the pics.

In regards to your light steering, there are several different PS pumps delivering between 110 and 130 bar. Maybe yours is 130. You could also have a late model 330 rack which were known to be overboosted.

Also, e36 high pressure steering lines have a restrictor crimped into the middle, you can see the metal crimp in the center.

A restrictor in the return hose would worsen the problem. Limiting flow increases pressure pre restriction. You'd have higher pressure in the rack, meaning more assist. You need a restrictor pre-rack. Either a banjo bolt with a built in restrictor, such as the ones found on turbos (probably a larger orifice than pictured)

or the one inside the e36 high pressure hose.

Delphin 318i owners unite :D
                        Last edited by pandaboo911; 03-16-2017, 04:17 AM.

Comment

I believe that I have 7852974712. This should not be an overboosted rack, but it seems to feel like one. Pressure hose - not sure what I have exactly, I'l have to look. Overall, it just seems too light.

Also - I should have photos later today - building a Single 2.5in exhaust to replace the junkyard sourced dual 2in system.

Comment

I believe that I have 7852974712. This should not be an overboosted rack, but it seems to feel like one. Pressure hose - not sure what I have exactly, I'l have to look. Overall, it just seems too light.
                            I also have the rack which shouldn't be overboosted. Pretty sure rackdoctor knows the difference and won't sell that rack as the "purple tag" rack that we're looking for. IIRC the overboosted racks came on the early 330s and bmw corrected it pretty quickly.

Just posted all my findings on my thread, hopefully this solves it.
                            HERE
                            Shadetree30

Comment

Huge turn-around! Car looks great now! And that first page accident had me cringing. I know it's old, but I just found this thread :)

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                                I also have the rack which shouldn't be overboosted. Pretty sure rackdoctor knows the difference and won't sell that rack as the "purple tag" rack that we're looking for. IIRC the overboosted racks came on the early 330s and bmw corrected it pretty quickly.

Just posted all my findings on my thread, hopefully this solves it.
                                HERE
                                Just looked at my high pressure hose - it seems I have the restrictor :( . I may try making a restricted banjo bolt today to see what happens.
                                Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
                                Huge turn-around! Car looks great now! And that first page accident had me cringing. I know it's old, but I just found this thread :)
                                Thanks! It is crappy that it was involved in the collision, but at least that was then.

Comment

Working...
                                X