Meet Bruni - My 1986 325e projecto Burgundrot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meet Bruni - My 1986 325e projecto Burgundrot

After a couple of months of daily visits to craigslist I found a 1986 325e with 240K miles, a Burgundrot. Not knowing anything about e30's I drove fours hours to eastern Washington. When I first looked at the car I thought "I scored!" I loved its color. It looked stock and well put together. I got very excited. However, the PO had no maintenance records, which made me a little bit nervous, but the engine bay looked clean :)

I took it for a spin and to less Schwab and they said that I needed to replace control arms, struts, and tie rods. It also wouldn't go into fourth gear, there wer leaks underneath the engine, the tranny, and diff. and the interior wasn't that encouraging. I came back home empty handed. A week later I came to terms with the reality of buying an e30 this old. Drove back to eastern Washington and with $1K plus a spare laptop I put my first e30 on its way to Seattle. I was pretty excited.

Here are some pictures of how I found Bruni.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3-IMG_2136  for blog.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	7244583
    Last edited by Stapes; 01-09-2017, 08:54 PM.

To honor my noobieness to this forum I'm going to include pictures by creating a post for each one. I'm sure one day I'll learn how to add multiple pictures with one single post like a pro. In any case here are some more details about Bruni.
    Attached Files

Comment

The engine bay

When I saw the engine I thought it was well kept. Hoses, clamps, connectors and little details looked like the PO was able to keep up with the engine. But then again I didn't know much about spotting issues.
      Attached Files

Comment

I love burgundrot.

To post more pics, click on the paperclip thing like you probably did already, a "manage attachments" window will pop up and you click "choose file." Go into your files to find the photo you want, then click upload for each one. It will let you add 5 total. To do more at once, you need to have them hosted somewhere.

Comment

I just wanted to get started

I did a lot of reading about owning an E30 for the first time so I placed an order with Pelican parts for the "ten escentials". Timing belt, t-stat, water pump, hoses, belts, lubricant, and a rotor. While the order was in transit and I was geting ready with supplies and finding a shop to rent a bay, I decided to make the cockpit comfortable, clean, and presentable. I was on a budget so Craigs was the best resource. I got to say I was very excited and pleased of how things turned out. Along the way I met the most interesting people, from all sort of life. From a 21 dude from UW who sold me a seat for $20, to an engineer form Boeing who was converting his 1990 318i as a track car, two brothers who rented this old beat-up shop way out there in federal way to work on their e30, to these two buddies who ventured out parting out a Canadian 324 with 80K miles, to this mid 40's guy who converts e30's into pro-3 cars. I honestly had the best conversations and it was thrilling to do all that. A few weeks later, after LOTS of elbow grease and no more than $200, including $50 for the stereo I got a clean and respectable interior with a fresh center concole, restored cluster, glove box, reconditioned seats, and a clean carpet.

Name:	78-IMG_2254_zpszj4lnfem.jpg
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	7177870

Name:	IMG_2222_zpsepmxzywp.jpg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	7177871

Name:	IMG_2309_zpsppilib6u.jpg
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	7177872

Name:	IMG_2327_zps6qfcucqv.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	7177873

Name:	IMG_2304_zpspwo3bhlk.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	7177874
          Last edited by Stapes; 07-29-2015, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Fresh interior

[ATTACH]99371[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]99372[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]99373[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]99374[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]99375[/ATTACH]

Comment

Before and After

[ATTACH]99376[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]99377[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]99378[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]99379[/ATTACH]

Comment

Looking great!

Comment

Great find! I wish the paint on my Burgundrot was still in that good of shape! Looking froward to see what else you do with her. For what it's worth, upgrading the steering wheel was one of the nicest mods I made on each of my cars. It is that part of the car that you interact with the most with your hands. A ZHP shift knob was nice for the same reason.
                  Originally posted by LJ851
                  kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                  ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                  #teamross
                  Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Originally posted by kingston View Post
                    Great find! I wish the paint on my Burgundrot was still in that good of shape! Looking froward to see what else you do with her. For what it's worth, upgrading the steering wheel was one of the nicest mods I made on each of my cars. It is that part of the car that you interact with the most with your hands. A ZHP shift knob was nice for the same reason.
                    Paint is OK but there is some clear coat peeling on the trunk and the roof. I'm planning on doing a paint job right after I take care of the mechanical side. You're absolutely right on the steering wheel and shifter. One of the people I met wanted $40 for an M-Tech, I regret not getting it when I could. I'm planning on replacing the tranny for another Getrag 260 I got in Spokane, that would be the time for a ZHP. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                      I love burgundrot.

To post more pics, click on the paperclip thing like you probably did already, a "manage attachments" window will pop up and you click "choose file." Go into your files to find the photo you want, then click upload for each one. It will let you add 5 total. To do more at once, you need to have them hosted somewhere.
                      Thanks for the tip. It seems to be working great.

Comment

Damn that's clean

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Good work so far! Keep us updated.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                            Damn that's clean
                            I sat on the driver's seat of a new one when I was a freshman in College and it was the best car I've ever seen. So I kind of wanted to get that feeling back, now that I own one. I'm going to try to bring it as stock as possible. Although, the more projects I read, the more I want to mod it.

Comment

SUB'D
                              In for updates..
                              I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                              DB vert plastic bumpers
                              OEM Keys
                              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                              91 ic Calypso 3.1
                              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                              TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                              e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X