Different length brake light switches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different length brake light switches?

My 91 vert has been converted to manual and has the (wide) brake switch but I noticed it doesn't quite make contact with the brake pedal. I have bent the bracket and used spacers all this time before wanting to correct the problem. I thought i needed to adjust the pedal height but I got another (slim) switch from an E30 and the plunger is a bit longer so it works fine. What gives?
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Realoem only shows one version for the 86-91 cars with like 4 superceded part numbers. However, they are not identical. The part number on the switch I pulled out is 61 31 1 378 209 which shows up in realoem but there's no model information. Going thru my stash, it turns out I pulled another switch just like it from an E30 but as you can see they are not the same length. I guess they expect you to adjust the brake pedal height.

Last edited by reelizmpro; 07-30-2016, 12:02 PM.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

I had the same problem you are having but its actually a very simple fix

The plunger can be pulled back out to it's original length. Take some pliers and grab the shaft of the plunger and pull the plunger up to it's full height. It will take a little bit of force. I was afraid I would break the switch the first time but the plunger does pull up

Once you install the switch with the plunger fully extended, the brake pedal arm will push the plunger in to the correct length

Last edited by td325ic; 07-30-2016, 02:58 PM.

Comment

That's it. I'll be damned, the plunger IS adjustable. It all makes sense now. I pulled on it with pliers before but was worried i would break it. I searched and could not find that bit of info anywhere. Thanks.

Comment

yeah, I was going to say, it's adjustable. actually, I probably didn't need to tape a washer to my brake pedal 10 years ago.. but it still works, so I haven't bothered to touch it.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
          X