2 Passenger inner CV boots in 20,000 K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Passenger inner CV boots in 20,000 K

Just checked my inner CV boot on the passenger side and it is split. I just replaced it in September (10000km ago) and I replaced it about a year before that (10000 km before) (they were split in the EXACT same spot). I have had a shop install the boots, then I have been installing the shafts myself. My car is on H&R sports and does not sit that low. The boots are GKN Drivetech boots. Could the boots be from a bad batch? Or are they being installed wrong? What boots have you had the best luck with?

I use the GKN. I've had some last 2 years and I had one that last 2 months. I guess some road debris hit it and it split.

I feel like I replace at least one boot a year. Been doing so for 6+ years.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

Has rubber quality degraded that much? I have some old CV's, I feel like taking the old boots off of those ones and seeing if they last a little longer.

Comment

I don't think it's rubber quality, it's the CV boot angle. My rears are original and have never popped. My fronts weren't popped when I bought both of my IXs, but they both had popped boots after I lowered it on H&R Sports within a few months.

If you look under the car, the angle is pretty extreme. It's bad enough on OEM springs, but any aftermarket ones just mean you'll be doing this as part of your yearly maintenance. It's not even that bad for me anymore. Just a slight groan. Honestly, it takes more time to replace the brake pads on one corner than it does to swap a half shaft. You just have to have 2 sets of halfshafts, so you can replace the boots and then have it ready to get swapped in.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

I tried universal silicone boots on mine and it seems like it can work. Drove 10000km last year and none split but I replaced them now just in case. Two leaked a little due to the clamps sharp edges made a small hole :P
          So this time I used some electrical tape and heat shrink tube to make it smoother.
          More camber will help alot on the outers BTW :)

My ix is lowered with GC coils and the angle is fucked up :)
          E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
          E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
          E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

I just don't understand how they can go that fast. I know there is quite an angle, but most cars you can get 200,000 out of a boot pretty easily. Has anyone had better luck with Genuine BMW ones? I would be happy with 2-4 years, but I don't even daily drive my car and I am getting a season.

Comment

GKN is the same thing you will get from BMW. The only difference is you will pay 2x as much for it.

The CV angle doesn't help but I think the reason the passenger side always fails is because of the exhaust. Some sort of shield could probably be made to protect the boot from early failure. In the 14 years I've had my car, I can't even count how many times I've replaced the passenger side, but I've only done the drivers side twice (once when I first got the car, and a second time many years later).

you can also try stretching the boot out - the smaller end fits into a little notch in the CV shaft. Instead of crimping it inside the notch, pull the boot further out and clamp it there. it will keep the ribs of the boot from rubbing together so much.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

hmmm so GKN makes the genuine BMW ones? I just don't understand how some people have the same ones running for years. Or all the FWD cars that have the same boots for years and years without any issue. I would think the angle would cut the life span maybe in half, or a quarter...but not 10x.

Comment

they probably aren't lowered.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    GKN is the same thing you will get from BMW. The only difference is you will pay 2x as much for it.

The CV angle doesn't help but I think the reason the passenger side always fails is because of the exhaust. Some sort of shield could probably be made to protect the boot from early failure. In the 14 years I've had my car, I can't even count how many times I've replaced the passenger side, but I've only done the drivers side twice (once when I first got the car, and a second time many years later).

you can also try stretching the boot out - the smaller end fits into a little notch in the CV shaft. Instead of crimping it inside the notch, pull the boot further out and clamp it there. it will keep the ribs of the boot from rubbing together so much.
                    I experienced the same thing, I've had to do 3 passengers sides and one driver side during my ownership. I would guess the total mileage though has only been 30,000 miles since I bought the car in 2011. When living in Seattle I never had suspension or drivetrain issues but now that I'm back in NY with our shit roads and harsh winter conditions, my IX has been falling apart.

Comment

That's insane...I will try stretching them out a bit this time. I guess I will re boot my spare set and just have them ready to put in every few months.

Comment

At stock ride height they should last long.
                        And you cant compare with normal fwd or most awd cars, even lowered there construction doesnt come close to our drive shaft angles.
                        Cars that come to mind that could have similar issues when lowered as we do is all BMW awd cars (except the SUVs probably) Nissan GTR R32-R34 and Mercedes awd cars.
                        On the newer BMW and Mercs the problems is probably not as bad as the older ones.
                        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Heres my angle :P

E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Mine is similar. but yours is waaaay cleaner than mine. :p
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yeah its pretty clean, freshened it up while everything was apart and now it wont see salt again so hopefully it will stay clean (ish) :)
                              E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Working...
                              X