Not seeing a post...changing diff's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not seeing a post...changing diff's

Just picked myself up a 3.25 LSD diff, but unsure as to what is entailed in the swap. I have the stock open diff, 2.89 afaik, so is there a writeup or can someone walk me through it?

Thanks!

unbolt the old, bolt in the new, that's it. nothing thats not straight forward at all. or pay me to do it sukka ;)
    Dan

Comment

use a jack, and don't drop it on your hand. it weighs somewhere in the 95lb range. also use locktite on the upper bolts because they like to come out...
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by DanGillan
        unbolt the old, bolt in the new, that's it. nothing thats not straight forward at all. or pay me to do it sukka ;)
        Dan, you have trouble taking your own valve cover off (remember Hanscom? :))

I don't know if the cases are the same with it being a 3.25.

Comment

The cases are the same but depending what car it came out of, you may have to swap rear covers and output flanges with your stock diff.

'05 E46 M3 Imolarot/Cinnamon - CURRENT
          '98 E36 M3 Estorilblau/Dove - SOLD
          '90 E30 M3 Brilliantrot/Black - SOLD
          SRS BSNS Motorsports - 24hrs of LeMons Racer

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan 90 M3
            The cases are the same but depending what car it came out of, you may have to swap rear covers and output flanges with your stock diff.
            That's more of what I was getting at...a how to for this. I'm assuming it's out of a 535is, since that's the only car I can think of that came with it, right? Might be wrong...someone here will let me know if I am :)

Comment

....and don't forget to fill the new one w/ limited slip fluid :)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris E30 Cab
                ....and don't forget to fill the new one w/ limited slip fluid :)
                Any recommendations? I can't wait to put this thing in... :)

Comment

there are many brands, but just make you use the fluid for limited slip differentials.....it is different than the fluid for open differentials.

Comment

there are many brands, but just make you use the fluid for limited slip differentials.....it is different than the fluid for open differentials.
                    good to know...thanks for the heads up :) Two wheel mullet-headed camaro burnouts, here I come!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan 90 M3
                      Can you give me a better idea of what's involved in this? Or anyone else? Thanks!

Comment

be prepared for some nice dirt in your face and hair, many hours under the car. I just recently did this with Tom(mot) and it took us forever to line up the bolt holes right. It's pretty straight foward really, just get a friend you help you out. Dont forget to drain and fill the new diff before you put it on the car. hope that helps

Comment

Is this really neccesary? I just threw some Redline 75w90 or whatever in there, completly forgot about that lsd additive stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by BS87
                            Is this really neccesary? I just threw some Redline 75w90 or whatever in there, completly forgot about that lsd additive stuff.
                            it already has it in the fluid

Comment

Going to be doing the swap tomorrow...any last pointers? I have the 3.25 sitting alone - just have to swap the cover and output flanges once the diff is off my car, drain, and fill - once it's on the car though, right? (The drain/fill)

Comment

Working...
                              X