Roadster shipping...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roadster shipping...

So a certain individual in CA put me on to a Jensen Healey FS out there, and naturally I'm keen to get it. Less rust, desirable trans, and a hardtop make it mucho goodo for me to get and use my current Healey for parts.

My problem, I've always been a go-getter type when it comes to cars and parts. I have no clue how shipping a car across the country would work, but I'ts got to be cheaper than driving the v12 e34 6000 miles, half that with a 2300lb chuck of British metal hanging off the back.

Anyone can lend some tips/tricks/advice? Mucho appreciated.
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

uship.com is where I'd start crazy man.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

RIP in peace, sweet prince.

We've had good luck with the private shipper-type services like flyboy mentioned, and I think that would be the best solution for you as long as the car is solid and they do a good job of appropriately tying it down.
      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

PM sent.
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I bought an E39 M5 sight unseen back in 2012 (stupid, I know). I had the car shipped from Indianapolis to the Bay Area. My best advice, stay away from shipping "brokers" and find an operator/carrier- someone who has their own trucks.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
          Transaction feedback
          - jpod999

Comment

I used Montway via UShip.com Very easy. Was under 900, open transport from CA to DC.

Easy enough experience. You can use uShip to get the carrier info and then use SAFER.gov to read up on their DOT health.. and then if you approve, contact them personally thusly avoiding the broker.
            ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
              My best advice, stay away from shipping "brokers" and find an operator/carrier- someone who has their own trucks.
              I will second this. I had a car disappear for two weeks because the contractor driver went home to his wife after having a "spat" with the company he contracted with. My car sat outside on a trailer with a chain link fence in the middle of no where.

Also, I think it costs quite a bit more to move a non-operable car. They can't put it on a normal transporter with other cars if they can't drive it on.

Comment

I vote Gristle Hammer road trip with V12 towing pictures.
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Looks like I have a friend who's hitting the St. Paddys meet in Sandy Eggo and can get the car to me for a good price......so I'm going to go that route. Less trouble for me. He'll, most likely, meet me at Vintage in May with the car and I'll tow it home with The Hammer from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                    I vote Gristle Hammer road trip with V12 towing pictures.
                    I vote this with videos of that thing blowing the rear tires off while towing the British iron.
                    -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
                    -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

Not to make this more difficult for you...but: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5965348359.html

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                      Transaction feedback
                      - jpod999

Comment

You just doubled his problem. Does the E34 have a fifth wheel?
                        ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                          Not to make this more difficult for you...but: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5965348359.html
                          Jesus....

Fuck....

Comment

Working...
                          X